Any Trip to Mars Might Destroy Astronaut's Kidneys

By Dennis Thompson
June 12, 2024, at 6:00 a.m.

WEDNESDAY, June 12, 2024 (HealthDay News) -- Mankind is eyeing Mars as its next grand expedition, but the human body might not be capable of dealing with such a journey, a new study warns.

It’s very likely that an astronaut’s kidneys could be permanently damaged by cosmic radiation during a years-long mission to Mars, researchers reported June 11 in the journal Nature Communications.

A round-trip to Mars would take up to three years, but the kidneys of lab mice exposed to the equivalent of 2.5 years’ worth of galactic radiation wound up with permanent damage and loss of function, the researchers said.

These new studies ...... found that human and animal kidneys are altered by conditions in space, with structures responsible for keeping calcium and salt in balance shrinking after less than a month in space.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/...unications.

An iphone 15 promax was inconceivable at a time when the USA didn't even exist.

If the Hans had a Huawei, they would have defeated the Mongols because they would be able to communicate and gather intelligence at a speed that's way faster than that of a warhorse.

So, yeah, for nao, we cannot live in Mars. Astronauts had better not go there. At least, don't get out of the spacecraft to plant a flag.

But what new inventions Man will come up with before the end of this century, who can say?

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

(14-06-2024, 10:31 AM)Oyk Wrote:  So, yeah, for nao, we cannot live in Mars. Astronauts had better not go there. At least, don't get out of the spacecraft to plant a flag.

Spacecraft cannot shield astronauts from galactic radiation. They are too penetrating.

Source from page 7 of this document (need to remove the '@" from the link below): 

@https://www.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/284275main_radiation_hs_mod3.pdf

(14-06-2024, 10:40 AM)Levin Wrote:  Spacecraft cannot shield astronauts from galactic radiation. They are too penetrating.

Source from page 7 of this document (need to remove the '@" from the link below): 

@https://www.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/284275main_radiation_hs_mod3.pdf

I believe their space suits are made of a protective material. And the spacecraft 50 to a hundred years on is unlikely to be the one you mentioned, just like today's fighter jets are not like those used in WWII and the ICBM are far more lethal than the atomic bombs.

Using today's abilities to restrict tomorrow's possibilities is not good, bro.

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

Balls shrink too Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(14-06-2024, 10:47 AM)Oyk Wrote:  I believe their space suits are made of a protective material. And the spacecraft 50 to a hundred years on is unlikely to be the one you mentioned, just like today's fighter jets are not like those used in WWII and the ICBM are far more lethal than the atomic bombs.

Using today's abilities to restrict tomorrow's possibilities is not good, bro.

I was responding to your sentence "So, yeah, for nao, we cannot live in Mars. Astronauts had better not go there. At least, don't get out of the spacecraft to plant a flag.". What I was saying that even if the astronault don't go out of the spacecraft to plant the flag NOW, his or her kidneys will still be affected by the galactic radiation as the spacecraft cannot shield him/her from the radiation.

Not talking about the future.