M’sia, Indonesia & Taiwan invited to US democracy summit, S’pore not involved

https://mothership.sg/2021/11/us-democra...singapore/

Singapore is a democratic country while those others are not.

All these countries power have gone to opposition at least once...
Showing peaceful transition of power and country did not collapse.

That is a test of democracy.

If a ruling party puts in place impediment for power transfer country will go into chaos when the govt goes down. So a good democratic govt is always ready to hand over power and ensure smooth transition.

We know from the Aljunied GRC, the first GRC that went to opposition which is a microcosm of power transfer ...that they will do to things to pull down the other side when they lose. Not long after the WP found itself in court.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(25-11-2021, 03:35 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  All these countries power have gone to opposition at least once...
Showing peaceful transition of power and country did not collapse.

That is a test of democracy.

If a ruling party puts in place impediment for power transfer country will go into chaos when the govt goes down. So a good democratic govt is always ready to hand over power and ensure smooth transition.

We know from the Aljunied GRC, the first GRC that went to opposition which is a microcosm of power transfer ...that they will do to things to pull down the other side when they lose. Not long after the WP found itself in court.

You mean like this is more peaceful than Aljunied?........  Thinking

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(25-11-2021, 01:29 AM)pervertosan Wrote:  https://mothership.sg/2021/11/us-democra...singapore/

China is butt hurt and very angry...

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration has invited Taiwan to its Summit for Democracy next month, the State Department announced, prompting sharp criticism from China, which considers the self-ruled island as its territory.

The summit makes good on a pledge President Joe Biden made during his campaign, and it reflects his emphasis on returning the U.S. to a global leadership position among world democracies. The event is aimed at gathering government, civil society and private sector leaders to work together on fighting authoritarianism and global corruption and defending human rights.

The invitation list features 110 countries, including Taiwan, but does not include China or Russia. The inclusion of Taiwan comes as tensions between the U.S. and China[/url] have ramped up over America’s approach to the island nation.

The United States’ “One China” policy recognizes Beijing as the government of China but allows informal relations and defense ties with Taipei.

But in late October, Biden set off alarm bells in Beijing by saying the U.S. has a firm commitment to help Taiwan defend itself in the event of a Chinese attack.

And during a three-hour virtual meeting earlier this month between Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping, Biden reiterated U.S. support for the “One China” policy but also said he “strongly opposes unilateral efforts to change the status quo or undermine peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait,” according to the White House.

The democracy summit invite list set off a new round of criticism from Beijing.

Laughter-13  Laughter-13

(25-11-2021, 05:35 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  You mean like this is more peaceful than Aljunied?........  Thinking

"challenges and opportunities facing democracies and will provide a platform for leaders to announce both individual and collective commitments, reforms, and initiatives to defend democracy and human rights at home and abroad".

Maybe similar to what LW has mentioned a few days back.

may become like this 

(25-11-2021, 05:35 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  You mean like this is more peaceful than Aljunied?........  Thinking

"challenges and opportunities facing democracies and will provide a platform for leaders to announce both individual and collective commitments, reforms, and initiatives to defend democracy and human rights at home and abroad".

Maybe similar to what LW has mentioned a few days back.

may become like 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onHFVp-nS38

USA has a 300yr history where power changed hands many times without civil war

Track record tarnished by Trump who refused to conceded.
Indeed it was a bad day in their history. 

But it does not mean democracy is bad....because alternative often is civil war or even more chaos

Singapore has no transition from one govt to another hence we do not know.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(25-11-2021, 07:49 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  USA has a 300yr history where power changed hands many times without civil war

Track record tarnished by Trump who refused to conceded.
Indeed it was a bad day in their history. 

But it does not mean democracy is bad....because alternative often is civil war or even more chaos

Singapore has no transition from one govt to another hence we do not know.

In a way their system is stronger, Samsung just set up a $17B plant in Texas.

nobody can be sure if they could survive another 100 yo. drug abuse and viruses will make them very weak

See what Washington Post and other western media thinks of this summit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...-photo-op/

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-fro...opolitics/

Birds of the same feather flock together.
Happy we are not one of those. 
We belong to another league.

Assmerica trying to cause division of ASEAN!

VERY EVIL!
[+] 1 user Likes cityhantam's post

[Image: 8-E431253-94-C5-470-B-AAE8-D456-C0777-FED.jpg]