Man free after 37 years due to ‘sex for lies’ false witness

By MARYCLAIRE DALE
yesterday

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A Philadelphia man was freed from prison Tuesday after 37 years in a case marred by detectives who allegedly offered a witness sex and drugs at police headquarters in 1983 in exchange for false testimony.

More details at: https://apnews.com/article/business-phil...7046b9e8be

I read the entire article.but cannot figure out if there is any other evidence to.convict him.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

After some checks I found this.

Quote:The witness, Franklin Lee, testified against Stokes at his 1984 preliminary hearing for the murder of Leslie Campbell in North Philadelphia. But at Stokes’ trial, he surprised the prosecutor by recanting. Stokes was convicted anyway, and sentenced to life without parole.

The witness did not give false testimony that result in his conviction. The main violation of his right is that the police bribed the witness.

All this does not mean he is likely innocent as there was enough other evidence against him

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.