Man ordered to pay S$756,000 after seeking S$800,000 from Tan Tock Seng Hospital

A man who sued Tan Tock Seng Hospital for S$800,000 over his mother's death now has to pay more than $756,000 in costs, after a judge factored in how he had turned down a chance to settle. 

https://cna.asia/3L97K0Z

orbigoot

The judge just simply and purposely ignored that fighting a case in court is just unreasonably expensive because of this reliance on idiot expert witnesses for such cases, when common sense and natural justice should prevail

It is like bringing together a circus to entertain the ignorance and lack of common sense and natural justice of the judges

Also, he never consider the fact that settlement of $15k is like an insult to the plaintiff and family whose mother did die under some perceived negligence on the part of the doctors and hospital staff, and this is based on normal thinking, not some difficult to understand medical rules or medical decision, which is difficult to accept and counter-intuitive

The judge must acknowledge that the mother did die when she could possibly be saved instead and then itself is reason enough for the family to bring the doctors and hospital to task

Mediation should and can be drawn upon only if both parties are willing to settle and not going for mediation should not be used by the judge in any way in his determination of whether costs are fair or not

It is just finding an excuse to justify his own prejudice and preference that the case not to be brought to his court in the first place
[+] 1 user Likes Sentinel's post

OMG!
"Lawyers for defendants argued that they offered S$15,000 to Mr Chia to settle the case on Apr 24, 2020. He did not accept."

Such a counter offer by itself is clearly, an admittance of negligence and at fault.

TTSH Screwed up big time.
[+] 2 users Like Scythian's post

What kind of judgment is this?   

Many years ago, my father was having cardiac arrest. He was in TTSH and was placed under ordinary ward. The next day, he passed off.  

According to rules, heart attack case must be placed in ICU but he was placed in ordinary ward.  

Was it negligent by doctor?   

[+] 4 users Like webinarian's post

(11-03-2023, 06:15 AM)webinarian Wrote:  What kind of judgment is this?   

Many years ago, my father was having cardiac arrest. He was in TTSH and was placed under ordinary ward. The next day, he passed off.  

According to rules, heart attack case must be placed in ICU but he was placed in ordinary ward.  

You can engage a lawyer and proceed to sue TTSHfor negligence too.

Sue for $1,000,000 

Hit while the iron is hot.

I remember this case. This guy is a civil servant from NLB. Why now they don’t want to say he chenghu and where he work? Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(11-03-2023, 06:29 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  I remember this case. This guy is a civil servant from NLB. Why now they don’t want to say he chenghu and where he work? Big Grin

The presiding judge looked across to Victorian Memorial Halls clock showing " half past Six."
[+] 2 users Like Scythian's post

not so easy to sue hospital in sg unless with very strong evidence.
[+] 1 user Likes K88 shu shu's post

(11-03-2023, 07:52 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  not so easy to sue hospital in sg unless with very strong evidence.

That is right, unlike in ang moh country one may win a case against a hospital.  Here it is almost impossible to win a case against a gov. run hospital................ Big Grin

(11-03-2023, 06:23 AM)Scythian Wrote:  You can engage a lawyer and proceed to sue TTSHfor negligence too.

Sue for $1,000,000 

Hit while the iron is hot.

The judge may in the end makes me pay to doctors and hospital like in this current case.  

[+] 1 user Likes webinarian's post

can offer a miserly 15k and when someone refuses, they are worng?

You have 4 user(s) on ignore
Somme road, alerts,  Choc,  winbig

Foo Mee Har is my sister in law - FACT
https://linktr.ee/freckydoodles
http://www.yuffy.com/trial/clippings.html
[+] 3 users Like wendychan's post

No money just die. Simple for u.

In china he could have go in hospital and kill the doctors..

In USA he likely win 20million in compensation from court

In singapore one better shut up
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

He knows who butters his bread
-lee kuan yew
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

(11-03-2023, 09:16 AM)singlon Wrote:  He knows who butters his bread
-lee kuan yew

Not all like butters, some prefer strawberry jam

The case should be fought in US

This is a very sad system!

Before: At your service; After: Serves you right!

Sometime this knowledge is difficult to understand and make judgement too..

(11-03-2023, 09:16 AM)Sharexchange Wrote:  In  china he could have go in hospital and kill the doctors..

In USA he likely win 20million in compensation from court

In singapore one better shut up

Show proof...

Smile

(11-03-2023, 10:58 AM)FangFang Wrote:  Sometime this knowledge is difficult to understand and make judgement too..

Not difficult to demand for millions $$$

No one understands

Sue them lah! Big Grin

This judge had made many questionable judgments.

Justice Choo Han Teck said TTSH and the doctors should not have to bear costs that might have been saved, given that the man suing them had refused the offer to settle and ended up worse off.

============================

Death of elderly is worth only $15k

but death of expat is worth millions

https://tnp.straitstimes.com/news/singap...mans-death

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 2 users Like Ola's post

(11-03-2023, 06:15 AM)Fre webinarian Wrote:  What kind of judgment is this?   

No way to seek redress especially against a powerful body. Really sad in a place where we belong.
[+] 1 user Likes Gemstar's post

I read the details of the case and thought there were ample evidence of negligence????
[+] 2 users Like Harry Lee's post

(11-03-2023, 08:50 AM)wendychan Wrote:  can offer a miserly 15k  and when someone refuses, they are worng?

Next time, all other hospitals will  offer $10

and the court will make you pay $1 million 

Reminds me of how Hawker sells takeaway plastic bags to make money

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

They are whole Jing gang reporting to one boss

All must make profits
[+] 1 user Likes Scythian's post

(11-03-2023, 01:27 PM)Gemstar Wrote:  No way to seek redress especially against a powerful body. Really sad in a place where we belong.

In Singapore no way one can win a case when suing a public hospital, and we have to live by it.  The analog is an egg vs a rock in a bashing competition, who will win.........? Big Grin

(11-03-2023, 03:50 PM)Harry Lee Wrote:  I read the details of the case and thought there were ample evidence of negligence????

Then sue TTSH for $1.5 mio and not $800,000 only.

Always go for the kill