Woman loses 50K after downloading app to buy durians

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore...uy-durians

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Again, devoid of specific details in the news reporting

Does this means we do not order anything online?
[+] 2 users Like Sentinel's post

万恶淫为首,
淫指贪,贪小便宜也是贪。 Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(12-05-2023, 04:23 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  Again, devoid of specific details in the news reporting

Does this means we do not order anything online?

Gist of the story is don't download 3rd party app.

(12-05-2023, 07:27 AM)winbig Wrote:  Gist of the story is don't download 3rd party app.

Problem is not the downloading the app
It's uploading your banking details and revealing your OTP
I have engaged many scammers head-on but they couldn't get anything out of me
3 things to remember,
put a limit on your card transaction, never reveal the 3 little numbers behind your card
or reveal what SMS you received from your bank
[+] 3 users Like Dan's post

If you have the POSB account, goto the POSB account and click Request Change Oversea Transfer Limit. Change it to a very low amount.
[+] 1 user Likes theold's post

one way to hedge loses tothis type of online scam is to use only 1 account to link for electronic payment. limit the amount in this account to a small number that can cover 80% of your purchases. top up via atm

example put 5k or lesser in this account which for most people is enough for a month spending.
then transfer in monthly or when needed. in the cas eof being scam. max lost due to illegal transfer is 5k or less.

credit card is the other area of potential losses. bank opening without one knowledge is another. (cannot find a way to stop this yet.) maybe someone got hit has to sue bank in a class-action lawsuit to shake them on their security and verification process. now some online verification requires real person over video with moving parts. etc.
overseas internet ip address or from proxy ip address must be accepted for creation or transfer.
bank should allow individual to specify no overseas initiated transfer. that will reduce number of cases. as most people are most of the time in singapore. scammer if base in singapore faces higher risk of being arrested.

last why does bank need to open access to overseas ip access. most of the transactions are within singapore. why expose singaporean when only small proportion of people is outside of singapore doing those transactions. and can always allow time limit open up for transfer with better verification process.
[+] 1 user Likes sclim's post

Quote:buy yourself in the stalls loh

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

Most shd be aware that downloading any not trusted applications websites can contains spyware that can view all banking transactions. I don’t trust buying things online.

(12-05-2023, 10:28 AM)Gemstar Wrote:  Most shd be aware that downloading any not trusted applications websites can contains spyware that can view all banking transactions. I don’t trust buying things online.

Problem is many legitimate offers also involve QR codes....

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Gist of the story is to install paid anti scam software like Norton.

(12-05-2023, 07:59 AM)theold Wrote:  If you have the POSB account, goto the POSB account and click Request Change Oversea Transfer Limit. Change it to a very low amount.

Why set limit to minimum when you're in S'pore? Set it to zero. If say you need 300 for a certain purchase reset it to 300 and back to zero after the transaction. POSB don't charge you any fee even if you reset it a few hundred times.

(12-05-2023, 10:28 AM)Gemstar Wrote:  Most shd be aware that downloading any not trusted applications websites can contains spyware that can view all banking transactions. I don’t trust buying things online.

There is always a risk in downloading anything from the web ..... virus and phishing
A good anti virus and malware may be helpful

(12-05-2023, 12:16 PM)Dan Wrote:  There is always a risk in downloading anything from the web ..... virus and phishing

The question is whether anyone has got anti-virus software on their mobile phone.
[+] 1 user Likes theold's post

(12-05-2023, 12:23 PM)theold Wrote:  The question is whether anyone has got anti-virus software on their mobile phone.

I find transaction with PC (Window) is more secured with anti-virus

(12-05-2023, 12:16 PM)Dan Wrote:  There is always a risk in downloading anything from the web ..... virus and phishing
Another good advice is not to be greedy for cheap things, especially buying online.
[+] 1 user Likes Gemstar's post

I cut off the link between my Bank account and credit card. Both are from different banks. And I never use PayNow.

use iphone lah!

Heng I use money in my milo tin to pay. No internet app crap Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Lesson learnt is dun eat durian unless it is free. .. Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

(12-05-2023, 03:05 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Heng I use money in my milo tin to pay.  No internet app crap Big Grin

same here

i buy this digital safe to pay for item i buy

[Image: t6-331-closed.png]

Heng I dun buy durians online.....just go Geylang eat fresh ones...

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!
[+] 1 user Likes ODA TETSURO's post

(12-05-2023, 03:31 PM)TODA TETSURO Wrote:  Heng I dun buy durians online.....just go Geylang eat fresh ones...

Abalones fresh or not?

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(12-05-2023, 02:36 PM)grotesqueness Wrote:  use iphone lah!

YEP! At least it is iphone is not an open system.  

Anyone went to korea in the past 1 year? Is it more Samsung shops or iphone shops?

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers?