GST ensures a fair tax system: Tharman

GST ensures a fair tax system: Tharman

18 February 2012, 2:43 am

DPM Tharman Shanmugaratnam explains that the Budget’s new permanent GST voucher allows people to further understand that this is a clear fair tax system. (AFP photo)

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said on Friday that the purpose of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) was to ensure that "the tax system is fair".

Speaking at a Channel NewsAsia forum on Friday evening with panelists from different segments, the minister explained that "most of the taxes are paid by those who are better off and the benefits are received by those less well off."

Clapping

"The NATSEM modelling confirmed the regressive nature of the GST. That is, it impacts more on lowest income households because poorer households spend a greater proportion of their income than other households."
[+] 4 users Like Scythian's post

Which hat is this - finance minister or?

From 0 to 9%
Still a fair system? Rotfl
别再消遣我们lah.
鬼话连遍!

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 3 users Like RiseofAsia's post

Why other countries can exempt certain essentials from gst but spore cannot? E.g rice, cooking oil etc are essentials in our day to day living these items should be exempted from gst. They use a blanket rule all are gst very buay gum IMHO
[+] 1 user Likes sgh's post

(21-08-2023, 10:31 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  From 0 to 9%
Still a fair system? Rotfl
别再消遣我们lah.
鬼话连遍!

The only thing PAP cannot do is to stop using income based on year of assessment and implement  PAYE income tax..

They cannot figure out how to implement PAYE?

if so call fair ??? Why tax on the rich up to ultra rich is Low ??

I remember someone question them , than they claim , cannot tax too high wait foreigner investors will not come to SG

EPIC rental increase so high they never mention which in fact foreigner investors also left SG due to high office rental.

They claim because the rich spend more thus contribute more on GST , I feel is ???

GST is apply to all be it you are poor , average or rich. Not all Rich always spend and spend . I feel their theory is somehow weird.

Lastly they claim GST help the needy , but over the years is poor getting poorer , average income downgrade to poor , whereas the rich getting richer upgrade to ultra rich .

This is Obviously the taxes for the rich in SG is too low compare to USA , CHINA , EU

[Image: Screenshot-2023-08-09-114158.jpg]

HUH? He thinks I am as stupid as Jac Lau

GST is an UNFAIR System where it taxes everybody

regardless rich or poor, lah

Want to play wif English words.

Kena SAI.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

1% increase cause food prices to go up 10-20%, Tharman lost touch with the poor.
[+] 1 user Likes mikotan's post

(21-08-2023, 08:54 PM)mikotan Wrote:  1% increase cause food prices to go up 10-20%, Tharman lost touch with the poor.

Probably he spent more time overseas than Singapore.

IMF is 2nd home

(21-08-2023, 08:25 PM)Ola Wrote:  HUH? He thinks I am as stupid as Jac Lau

GST is an UNFAIR System where it taxes everybody

regardless rich or poor, lah

Want to play wif English words.

Kena SAI.

Then, newspapers front page:

GST Is Good For Lower Income Earners..

WTF

Fair or not I dunno
I just know every minister is drawing obscenely high salary. But in terms of quality and output of their work.... Errrrrr .. errrrr

I am just a tiny plankton in the ocean.

(21-08-2023, 09:01 PM)Scythian Wrote:  Then, newspapers front page:

GST Is Good For Lower Income Earners..

WTF

指鹿为马

I am just a tiny plankton in the ocean.

will not vote pap because of this views and the so call plastic bag need to be charge at all supermarket. sorry tharman, no vote for you too.

(21-08-2023, 10:06 AM)Scythian Wrote:  GST ensures a fair tax system: Tharman

18 February 2012, 2:43 am

DPM Tharman Shanmugaratnam explains that the Budget’s new permanent GST voucher allows people to further understand that this is a clear fair tax system. (AFP photo)

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said on Friday that the purpose of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) was to ensure that "the tax system is fair".

Speaking at a Channel NewsAsia forum on Friday evening with panelists from different segments, the minister explained that "most of the taxes are paid by those who are better off and the benefits are received by those less well off."

Clapping

my foot , fair??? when gst go up 1% recently.. old chang kee go up ave 20C. and food go up even more. even with that so call gst rebate and so on also not enough.

OK, i will definitely not vote this botak..

(21-08-2023, 09:41 PM)jus4lucky Wrote:  will not vote pap because of this views and the so call plastic bag need to be charge at all supermarket. sorry tharman, no vote for you too.

this plastic thingy is to make a profit out of it,,

if they are sincere they shd ban plastic bag at least for grocery shop and supa mkt, all use recyclable bag.
even at fast food outlet.

5C he know ppl willing to pay, so take advantage..
[+] 1 user Likes victortan's post

GST is never fair.. A 8% on a necessity, is more to a poor family than a rich family.

So the burden on the poor is a lot more..

And the rebate given is temporary, the GST increase is there to stay.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 1 user Likes ArielCasper's post