Mississippi Town Sued After Its Former Police Chief Bragged About Killing Blacks

By
Phillip Jackson
Aug 16, 2022, 04:10 PM EDT
|
Updated 7 hours ago

A civil rights advocacy organization on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against the town of Lexington, Mississippi, and called for a federal investigation into what it described as “systemic, condoned racism” from the town’s government and police department.

The lawsuit details past examples of police violence and misconduct against Black residents.

JULIAN filed the suit after recordings surfaced of Sam Dobbins, who was police chief in the town at the time, using racial and homophobic slurs and bragging about killing multiple people as a police officer. The town’s Board of Aldermen voted 3-2 to remove Dobbins from his role after the recording surfaced, and he was fired on July 20.

In the recording, Dobbins describes shooting a Black man in a cornfield as “justified, bro.”

“I shot that n****r 119 times, OK?” he says in the expletive-laden recording that also includes the statement: “I don’t talk to fucking queers, I don’t talk to fucking f****ts.”

Dobbins also tells an officer in the recording that he had killed 13 people in his career, and that he was proud of the fact that the Lexington community “fears” him

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lexington...bb77a67415