More Japanese Young Generation Reluctant to Get Married?

Marriage rates are down

According to the report, in 2021 Japan registered 514,000 marriages, the lowest annual figure since the end of World War II. In 1970 there were still 1.029 million marriages recorded.

"There are several reasons that I see in society," Aya Fujii told DW. "One is that unlike in other countries, wages here have basically stayed the same over the years. And that means a lot of young people see it as too much of a financial burden to even try to have a family."

"I also see a lot of young people nowadays like manga comic books and anime shows. They prefer that to meeting and talking to people from real life," said Fujii. "Characters in the manga and anime don't argue or complain."

"I think a lot of young people today lack social skills, and it gets worse because a lot of families have only one child now, so the child growing up doesn't interact or develop the social skills he needs in everyday life," she added.

Fujii believes this trend will not change in the near future, even if the Japanese government makes various efforts. "Ultimately, Japanese people in their 20s and 30s who are unable to communicate with the opposite sex will find it more difficult to find a partner, and the pattern of a shrinking population in the country will continue," he said.

https://www.republika.co.id/berita/rfnj8...an-menikah