Murali did not breach parliamentary privilege with 'rent control' remark

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...ol-3778586

Mr Leong raised his hand to speak after Mr Seah. The Speaker stressed that his decision on any complaint was final and not open to any appeals, but said he would make an exception and invited Mr Leong to make his clarification.

Mr Leong then asked if he could direct his question to Mr Murali, and Mr Seah replied that he was not reopening the debate.

Can I clarify that you also agree that rent control was never said by me?” Mr Leong asked Mr Seah.

The Speaker did not address Mr Leong's question directly. He said: “As I have stated, I am not reopening the debate. I’ve set out the context of the matter, and I’ve made my decision on the complaint that you have registered. I will not repeat myself. If you’re asking me for my personal decision, that is my personal decision.”

Mr Leong had also filed a second complaint - against Foreign Affairs Vivian Balakrishnan over a comment caught on a hot mic on Sep 14, 2021.

This took place during a 10-hour parliamentary debate on foreign labour, jobs and livelihoods, as well as free trade agreements.

In a video of the debate, which was livestreamed on the YouTube channel of the Ministry of Communications and Information, a voice can be heard saying "he's illiterate" after Manpower Minister Tan See Leng replied to a question from Mr Leong.

A voice is heard a few minutes later: "Seriously, how did he get into RI (Raffles Institution)? Must have been a lousy school."

On Monday, Mr Seah noted that Mr Leong filed the complaint two years after the event, calling for Dr Balakrishnan to formally withdraw his remarks and put his apology on record in Parliament.

A copy of Mr Leong’s complaint was shared with Dr Balakrishnan, who in turn responded in a letter on Sep 5, said Mr Seah.

“In my opinion, the complaint is out of time, by reason of the long passage of time. It was not made at the earliest opportunity as required under Standing Order 100 (7c), after the member had noticed the alleged remark,” he added.

There is no formal action for the Speaker to take in his complaint, given that the matter had been concluded with Dr Balakrishnan’s apology and Mr Leong’s acceptance of the apology, said Mr Seah.

this type of  posting draws more interest for disc is much better than the photogenic pictures of the 2 ministers