My aunt complained about relatives who bring WHOLE FAMILY to her place to eat

A few days ago, my aunt, in a conversation just complained about another aunt who brought her whole family (not just children but in-laws and grandchildren) to her place to eat during CNY and she herself was left without food. I just listened and nod and that's it. I never do that to any relative as I usually just eat at home.

Then why post this? Well, my sister just told me this morning that a long-lost friend that she re-acquainted with recently just SMS her and told her that she will bring her whole family to her place to makan. My sis was shocked. She told her friend "no" as she's as bad a cook as me. Like me, she just buy food such as dumplings, pre-cooked meals, bread, instant noodles etc to tide over the first 2 days of CNY (unlike a few decades ago which can last like 6(?) days with no stalls operating).

I was wondering how pervasive this "practice" is. How many people actually just go to other people's place to get free food throughout the whole CNY.
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

smart way to cut cost.

Lols,, happy complain

Next time famine they will come and rob your food even not invited

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

Every year my sis will arrange 3 group of people to her home for feast leh.

1 group are colleagues which i will join too for mj and cards games.

2nd group for old classmates and friends.

3rd for families.

(20-01-2023, 09:15 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Every year my sis will arrange 3 group of people to her home for feast leh.

3rd for families.

That's normal. A lot of people do that. But those are INVITED. I am wondering about the UNINVITED or those that 'FORCED' invitations. Is that a trend nowadays?

(20-01-2023, 09:15 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Every year my sis will arrange 3 group of people to her home for feast leh.

3rd for families.

food prices increase so much 
She has to pay more this year onwards 
Very generous

☝️

(20-01-2023, 09:18 AM)Levin Wrote:  That's normal. A lot of people do that. But those are INVITED. I am wondering about the UNINVITED or those that 'FORCED' invitations. Is that a trend nowadays?

Never heard got relatives so thick skin leh. Rotfl

(20-01-2023, 09:18 AM)Levin Wrote:  That's normal. A lot of people do that. But those are INVITED. I am wondering about the UNINVITED or those that 'FORCED' invitations. Is that a trend nowadays?

It is considered a blessing to be able to hold a feast for relatives.  It is a joy to hold such a feast, it shows that one is able to cook such a meal for the many guests........... Rotfl Laughing Gesti-109

I would be happy if they come, but I am not the most senior among the siblings. Our tradition is all meet at the most senior's house.

(20-01-2023, 09:23 AM)debono Wrote:  It is considered a blessing to be able to hold a feast for relatives.  It is a joy to hold such a feast, it shows that one is able to cook such a meal for the many guests........... Rotfl Laughing Gesti-109
yeah you have to cook clean up shop n carry 
After meal bye bye give u two oranges 
🍊 
👍👍

☝️

(20-01-2023, 09:24 AM)Clyde Wrote:  I would be happy if they come, but I am not the most senior among the siblings. Our tradition is all meet at the most senior's house.

That is the normal practice, it can be as a potluck, where each family member brings some food for sharing.............. Laughing nudie Laughter-68

(20-01-2023, 09:23 AM)debono Wrote:  It is considered a blessing to be able to hold a feast for relatives.  It is a joy to hold such a feast, it shows that one is able to cook such a meal for the many guests........... Rotfl Laughing Gesti-109

Yes but there must be a limit. If too many people come, it is not easy to cater to all. Only invited ones are allowed in.

3rd for families.

you think everyone as rich as your sis meh ?

invite whole family never mind.....................as long as you feed them Maggi mee............... Rotfl

(20-01-2023, 09:33 AM)Napoleon Porlumpar Wrote:  you think everyone as rich as your sis meh ?

invite whole family never mind.....................as long as you feed them Maggi mee............... Rotfl

Normally it will be steamboat plus cooked dishes plus lots of abalones. Rotfl

(20-01-2023, 09:44 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Normally it will be steamboat plus cooked dishes plus lots of abalones. Rotfl

Where you find all the China meimei abalones? Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Just serve those cheap snacks such as peanuts to these uninvited guests. They will leave by themselves once they feel hungry.

(20-01-2023, 09:44 AM)Notdumb Wrote:  Normally it will be steamboat plus cooked dishes plus lots of abalones. Rotfl

Clapping

Aiyah once a year just spread the good joy and tidings lah Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Those are the older generations who invited relatives over for cny eve dinner
Now strawberries generation don’t know how to cook only maggi mee
😊

☝️

(20-01-2023, 11:34 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Those are the older generations who invited relatives over for cny eve dinner
Now strawberries generation don’t know how to cook only maggi mee
😊

Pruss egg Big Grin

(20-01-2023, 09:32 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Yes but there must be a limit.  If too many people come, it is not easy to cater to all. Only invited ones are allowed in.

Of course there must be a limit to who you want to invite for the feast, only close relatives will be invited...so that enough food can be catered for......... Laughing Clapping nudie

(20-01-2023, 07:55 AM)Levin Wrote:  A few days ago, my aunt, in a conversation just complained about another aunt who brought her whole family (not just children but in-laws and grandchildren) to her place to eat during CNY and she herself was left without food. I just listened and nod and that's it. I never do that to any relative as I usually just eat at home.

Then why post this? Well, my sister just told me this morning that a long-lost friend that she re-acquainted with recently just SMS her and told her that she will bring her whole family to her place to makan. My sis was shocked. She told her friend "no" as she's as bad a cook as me. Like me, she just buy food such as dumplings, pre-cooked meals, bread, instant noodles etc to tide over the first 2 days of CNY (unlike a few decades ago which can last like 6(?) days with no stalls operating).

I was wondering how pervasive this "practice" is. How many people actually just go to other people's place to get free food throughout the whole CNY.

Because times is bad lor , A lot like ' Talent here , trying to take advantage from others "

I got one relative invite me go her house eat , I never. Smile

My house all come singlon beri happy.
Will entertainment them with liquor and foods
music likes these
https://youtu.be/RJMSX7qTvws
soundbar headphone or TV u choose
singlon beri hitech sw from one to the other

Collect entrance fee 100 per head will solve the problem 

And weigh leftover food every 100gms charge another 100 bucks

Nobody will come nothing to wash and cook

https://youtu.be/AwDYRzvrIP4

(20-01-2023, 01:37 PM)Odessy Wrote:  Collect entrance fee 100 per head will solve the problem 

And weigh leftover food every 100gms charge another 100 bucks

Nobody will come nothing to wash and cook

That is going to far, you just want to deter guests to come in.................. Laughing nudie
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

(20-01-2023, 01:35 PM)singlon Wrote:  My house all come singlon beri happy.
Will entertainment them with liquor and foods
music likes these
https://youtu.be/RJMSX7qTvws
soundbar headphone or TV u choose
singlon beri hitech sw from one to the other

(20-01-2023, 01:42 PM)singlon Wrote:  https://youtu.be/AwDYRzvrIP4
Superb music I must say............thanks for posting it........ Clapping Laughing nudie

(20-01-2023, 07:55 AM)Levin Wrote:  A few days ago, my aunt, in a conversation just complained about another aunt who brought her whole family (not just children but in-laws and grandchildren) to her place to eat during CNY and she herself was left without food. I just listened and nod and that's it. I never do that to any relative as I usually just eat at home.

Once a year only lah! Big Grin Free food who don't want leh?  Thinking