NUS prof jailed for submitting fake invoices

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...um-4283366
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

This is a repeat?

So well fed still greedy over small sum of money

If not adequately punished there'll be more cases like his

He's probably drawing 20k every month in salary excluding any consulting work. Another gianpern fella like iswaran.
[+] 1 user Likes starbugs's post

(22-04-2024, 09:26 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  So well fed still greedy over small sum of money

If not adequately punished there'll be more cases like his

$88k is not small sum.

Penny wise pound foolish.
[+] 1 user Likes Migrant's post

(22-04-2024, 09:26 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  So well fed still greedy over small sum of money. If not adequately punished there'll be more cases like his

Those who are lower down the pecking order have less opportunities to inflate their claims. However, this NUS prof is penny wise and pound foolish indeed!

(22-04-2024, 09:31 PM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  $88k is not small sum.

A prof in NUS probably draws an annual salary of over $250,000 but he cheated the university of slightly more than $10,000 per annum over 7 years. He didn't do his math very well.

(22-04-2024, 09:29 PM)starbugs Wrote:  He's probably drawing 20k every month in salary excluding any consulting work. Another gianpern fella like iswaran.

It is a common human weakness which is why laws are needed to regulate human societies.  

Cheating comes in many forms.  If I sell you a tub of rice at grade A price, with the top 10% of which being grade A rice while the bottom 90% are grade C rice, is that cheating?  Of course, it is.

If a woman shows a picture of herself on a dating site, where the top 0.01% is a lawyer of paint aka make-up, and the 99.99% beneath is her real skin, is that cheating?  Yes, you are being cheated.

And if you invite her out for a cai png lunch (she doesn't know where you would be bringing her yet), and she wears a very nice floral dress that hangs on her shoulder to cover the out-of-shape shape of her body, a body that does not have those nice contours, curves...but the dress's cutting is super nice, is that cheating?  Yes, it is.

Is your cai png rice treat cheaing? Rotfl

Observer = KILLjoy = starbugstk = Dan = lvlrsSTI = OWNER.
Trying so hard to find my Archilles Point wor. Hehe Love

(23-04-2024, 08:55 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  A prof in NUS probably draws an annual salary of over $250,000 but he cheated the university of slightly more than $10,000 per annum over 7 years. He didn't do his math very well.

He wasn't working in the procurement department.  The scope for cheating and taking under table money was smaller.

Also, he must have thought that even if he could cheat in a big way, it would only attract audit attention because auditors tend to look at big sums under what they call the "materiality principle".  On the other hand, cheating a few dollars here and there was not worth it.  If he wanted to cheat, it would have to be amounts which were in between, neither too big nor too small.  He decided that S10K pa a year was about right.

He did his math well but was suay to get caught.

(23-04-2024, 09:36 AM)Oyk Wrote:  He wasn't working in the procurement department.  The scope for cheating and taking under table money was smaller. Also, he must have thought that even if he could cheat in a big way, it would only attract audit attention because auditors tend to look at big sums under what they call the "materiality principle".  On the other hand, cheating a few dollars here and there was not worth it.  If he wanted to cheat, it would have to be amounts which were in between, neither too big nor too small.  He decided that S10K pa a year was about right. He did his math well but was suay to get caught.

The regional sales and marketing staff at my previous company used to pad their expense account after every overseas trip. There weren't enough checks done by the Accounts Dept, and their boss quashed any attempts to investigate dubious claims since he was similarly padding his expense account, but in larger amounts.

Cud be a mental disorder like kleptomania, steal or cheat not out of need but habitual.

(23-04-2024, 09:49 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Cud be a mental disorder like kleptomania, steal or cheat not out of need but habitual.

Disgruntled employees may see padding the expense account and overclaiming on their mileage as petty ways to get back at their employer.

This method of cheating was very common in NUS. Last time, there was a Technician who bought many mechanical tool and machinery for the lab. Occasionally, her brother would come to the lab to take these things out for his own company use.

(23-04-2024, 09:46 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  The regional sales and marketing staff at my previous company used to pad their expense account after every overseas trip. There weren't enough checks done by the Accounts Dept, and their boss quashed any attempts to investigate dubious claims since he was similarly padding his expense account, but in larger amounts.

Tia liao jin jelly.  Got aeroprane to sit, can travel, stay five star hotel, and still want to pad.   I wash dishes, no scope for padding.  At the most can only take some soap powder home to wash my dishwasher uniform. Sad  

(23-04-2024, 09:54 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Disgruntled employees may see padding the expense account and overclaiming on their mileage as petty ways to get back at their employer.

"Get back" is a rather crude way of putting it.

The word in management and behaviroural science is "equalise".  When an employee feels overworked, underpaid, and that he is being exploited by the company, he may do that.  He does not feel guilty about it because he thinks that the company cheated him in the first place, and he is only taking back what's his.

(23-04-2024, 09:56 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Even a gainfully employed PME cannot stop herself from shoplifting

https://www.averycruelpostbyEvertonDiehard.com

The internet never forgets.  I feel sorry for her when you posted this.  We should let the past be the past.  She has already paid the penalty for her petty crime, which was due to a mental issue.  She deserves our understanding rather than being shamed online.

Further, if she voted for Pritam Singh, would you feel bad that you shamed a fellow member of the 39%?

Better delete that post which is rather disrespectful to the dead

(23-04-2024, 10:15 AM)Oyk Wrote:  The internet never forgets.  I feel sorry for her when you posted this.  We should let the past be the past.  She has already paid the penalty for her petty crime, which was due to a mental issue.  She deserves our understanding rather than being shamed online.Further, if she voted for Pritam Singh, would you feel bad that you shamed a fellow member of the 39%?

Don't let your imagination run wild. I was merely sharing a news article.

(23-04-2024, 10:32 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Better delete that post which is rather disrespectful to the dead

You have been disrespectful to the living all this while. Isn't that worse?
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(23-04-2024, 10:08 AM)Oyk Wrote:  "Get back" is a rather crude way of putting it. The word in management and behaviroural science is "equalise".  When an employee feels overworked, underpaid, and that he is being exploited by the company, he may do that.  He does not feel guilty about it because he thinks that the company cheated him in the first place, and he is only taking back what's his.

Disgruntled employees have their own way to exact justice when a perceived wrong has been committed against them. In the U.S., staff who have been laid off have returned to their workplace to gun down the manager/ex-colleagues who fired or wronged them.   
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(23-04-2024, 11:20 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Don't let your imagination run wild. I was merely sharing a news article.

I was not imagining that you purposely shamed her.

I was merely stating a fact that you shamed her in your enthusiasm to tell us what we already knew, since there are only investment gurus here and no fools, online.  Don't be defensive.  Learn to accept constructive criticism with the right spirit.  Rolleyes

(23-04-2024, 11:38 AM)Oyk Wrote:  I was not imagining that you purposely shamed her.I was merely stating a fact that you shamed her in your enthusiasm to tell us what we already knew, since there are only investment gurus here and no fools, online.  Don't be defensive.  Learn to accept constructive criticism with the right spirit.  
"How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3

(23-04-2024, 11:23 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Disgruntled employees have their own way to exact justice when a perceived wrong has been committed against them. In the U.S., staff who have been laid off have returned to their workplace to gun down the manager/ex-colleagues who fired or wronged them.   

Assuming that the employee was wrongly sacked. killing the manager would be 20% rectifying the wrong and 80% a crime.  Revenge, if that's the word for it, should be done with a method which is 100% matching the wrong done, with not even a 0.0001% more, or it would be criminal by that amount.

Besides managers sacking peepur because they didn't like that purrson, peepur had also been sacked because the manager was just light-eared to believe a very smooth talking colleague who made up stories or twisted and turned to make you wrong and him right.

(23-04-2024, 11:41 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  "How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3

Quote that please, if you are in court, say it aloud to the judge's face.    Tongue

Wrong already, die die still want to argue.   Rolleyes

(23-04-2024, 11:20 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  You have been disrespectful to the living all this while. Isn't that worse?

My wrong doesn't make you right. You'd forgotten all yr religious teachings.

Now you'd deleted that disrespectful post shows that you're not totally hopeless

I normally steal some toilet detergent after scrubbing all the toilets cos I feel I am underpaid and overworked Sad

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(23-04-2024, 11:57 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Now you'd deleted that disrespectful post shows that you're not totally hopeless

I deleted that post because I didn't want the memory of that poor girl to be tainted by others who read your unfounded accusations and become influenced by such erroneous views.  

(23-04-2024, 11:49 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Quote that please, if you are in court, say it aloud to the judge's face.  Wrong already, die die still want to argue. 

Are you God that you can pronounce judgement on others whom you do not know?