Nanofilm spends $12.6 million on share buybacks following earnings surprise

https://www.theedgesingapore.com/news/co...s-surprise

Nanofilm Technologies International, facing a wave of downgrades from analysts from its earnings surprise, has spent $12.6 million to buy back more than 3 million shares these two days.

Following the company’s 1HFY2021 3.1% y-o-y earnings drop reported last Friday, Aug 13, investors on Monday, Aug 16, sold down Nanofilm’s shares by a third from Aug 13’s closing price of $5.97.

On Aug 16, it spent nearly $6.8 million to scoop up 1.55 million shares at between $4.21 and $4.52 each.

The selling continued earlier today, Aug 17, sending the share price down to as low as $3.80 before closing for the day at $3.82, down 10.12% for the day.

In an SGX filing after market closed, the company said it bought back 1,497,000 shares at between $3.81 and $4.07, spending a total of more than $5.8 million.

Under its current mandate, Nanofilm can buy back up to nearly 66.2 million shares.
The company, which listed last October, had never bought back shares prior to this.

From its IPO price of $2.59, it more than doubled to hit a peak of $6.67 in late July, with investors baking in strong growth expectations.

Sentiment towards the company was also hurt by the resignations of its COO Ricky Tan and CEO Lee Liang Huang less than two months after each other.

They should buy back at $1 not at such lofty prices.

If the company is good why worry about stock falling...just prove investors wrong by reporting good earnings  next quarter.

Why should management be one bit concerned about stock price.falling.?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(18-08-2021, 09:12 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  They should buy back at $1 not at such lofty prices.

If the company is good why worry about stock falling...just prove investors wrong by reporting good earnings  next quarter.

maybe someone put the company shares as collateral for loan.
need to support the share price.

It is so much cheaper than the recently bought GCB.

GCB huat ah

(18-08-2021, 09:12 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  They should buy back at $1 not at such lofty prices.

Hi , fcuked still fresh on people's mind. this one maybe opposite since on the up trend hitting up slope. Cool

buying back shares at this stage means they dont have anywhere better to invest their funds….or driven by CEO ego about falling share price…either way the story is getting worse…not surprised is this keeps falling for next few months