This opposition member was demolished in 1976

Getting rid if opposition and critics is baked into an autocratic system to preserve the power of the incumbent.
If you look back in history it's a repeated and recurring theme.
In 1963 when the opposition was about to contest in elections and can win, there was operation coldstore.
In 1987 JBJ WP volunteers were arrested and detained  in later elections Francis Seow.

All the way back we this case of Francis Khoo ...someone few have heard of. Here is his story.

https://youtu.be/-yY5cHDVR2I?t=60s

The system of power elites is design to preserve power more than anything else. Everything thing they have - money, status control stems from the power held in the system. In Singapore it is particularly entrenched as LKY implemented a system of scholar elites and their right to power comes from the system they serve ...and not from the ordinary people whom they believe are to be controlled with propaganda, carrots and sticks. Hence linking votes to upgrading, control over the media etc is deemed legitimate by these power elites.

In the end the ordinary Singaporeans cries and protestations are seen as a nuisance to their ambitions....which they reluctantly manage away. The entire machinery is there at their disposal.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

If an opp need to b demolished for the sake survival of the country, it's to b welcomed before it sinks into abyss with millions of innocent lives sufferung

Pls lah use yr brauns lah..
Save u n family more impt than saving liar pratamen

(11-02-2022, 10:19 AM)Yin yang Wrote:  If an opp need to b demolished for the sake survival of the country, it's to b welcomed before it sinks into abyss with millions of innocent lives sufferung

Pls lah use yr brauns lah..
Save u n family more impt than saving  liar pratamen

That is also what Kim Jong Un and Putin tell themselves ..if they don't crush the opposition country will go downhill hence they are the saviors.

The most scary suppressors are those who think they are doing it for everyone's good....that means it's never going to end.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(11-02-2022, 11:05 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  That is also what Kim Jong Un and Putin tell themselves ..if they don't crush the opposition country will go downhill hence they are the saviors.

The most scary suppressors are those who think they are doing it for everyone's good....that means it's never going to end.
Here our  MIW also wants to crush the opposition similar to what Kim Jong Un and Putin is doing to their respective countries........

(11-02-2022, 11:12 AM)debono Wrote:  Here our  MIW also wants to crush the opposition similar to what Kim Jong Un and Putin is doing to their respective countries........

Good observation