Man earns Ph.D., fulfills dream of being physicist — at 89

By JENNIFER McDERMOTT
yesterday

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — An 89-year-old Rhode Island man has achieved a goal he spent two decades working toward and nearly a lifetime thinking about — earning his Ph.D. and becoming a physicist.

Manfred Steiner recently defended his dissertation successfully at Brown University in Providence. Steiner cherishes this degree because it’s what he always wanted — and because he overcame health problems that could have derailed his studies.

https://apnews.com/article/science-lifes...7e662074ad

(12-11-2021, 09:21 AM)Levin Wrote:  By JENNIFER McDERMOTT
yesterday

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — An 89-year-old Rhode Island man has achieved a goal he spent two decades working toward and nearly a lifetime thinking about — earning his Ph.D. and becoming a physicist.

Manfred Steiner recently defended his dissertation successfully at Brown University in Providence. Steiner cherishes this degree because it’s what he always wanted — and because he overcame health problems that could have derailed his studies.

https://apnews.com/article/science-lifes...7e662074ad

respect! sinkie should learn from his spirit!

Unknown university...I think just get a few together pass him.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(12-11-2021, 09:24 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Unknown university...I think just get a few together pass him.

Dont be an idiot! Brown University unknown university?????frog in the well!

(12-11-2021, 09:24 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Unknown university...I think just get a few together pass him.

On the contrary, Brown University is an Ivy League university, and is recognized world wide.....the fact that he needs 20 years to prepare his dissertation shows that it is not easy to get a PhD from the university.... Clapping

Brown University is a private Ivy League university based in Providence, Rhode Island. It was ranked 49th in the world in the QS World University Rankings®

(12-11-2021, 09:29 AM)debono Wrote:  On the contrary, Brown University is an Ivy League university, and is recognized world wide.....the fact that he needs 20 years to prepare his dissertation shows that it is not easy to get a PhD from the university.... Clapping

kaninah! this sgbuffet! What a clown!

Nobel Prize in Physics | Brown University Timeline

ah butt taken how many $20/8hrs online mcq emba courses?

My apologies ....after further checking this Brown University turn out to be credible University almost as good as NTU.

Never heard of it....due to its ranking of 49th. , NUS is ranked 21.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

This university Brown is 64 in latest  global ranking.
NUS and NTU is 21st and 24th.

I think standard is quite different although still a credible University not roadside.

[Image: JxabQFe.jpg]

(12-11-2021, 10:34 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  My apologies ....after further checking this Brown University turn out to be credible University almost as good as NTU.

At least Brown university is an accredited university unlike those from CECA universities or colleges ..... Angry

not all ivy league universities are highly ranked. Dartmouth is another example

I like his energy to make dreams come true,,, LIKE

Someone saw Tarzan but didn't recognise the oh-yee-oh. Big Grin

(12-11-2021, 10:57 AM)FangFang Wrote:  I like his energy to make dreams come true,,, LIKE

I must take off my hat for this physicist, getting his PhD at a age of 89, it shows great determination and stamina on his part.... Clapping

(12-11-2021, 10:34 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  My apologies ....after further checking this Brown University turn out to be credible University almost as good as NTU.

what almost as good as NTU????

He obtain his PHD from the physics dept that produced two nobel laurette in physics.
what many nobel laurete did ntu or nus produced?????singapore as a nation produced ZERO!

phd in physics and chemistry very hard to achieve breakthrough results because they are already very well studied. 8 to 10 yrs are not uncommon, but 20 yrs is too long.

either his supervisor boh chap or pang chance, let him enjoy there

(12-11-2021, 12:47 PM)WhatDoYouThink? Wrote:  phd in physics and chemistry very hard to achieve breakthrough results because they are already very well studied. 8 to 10 yrs are not uncommon, but 20 yrs is too long.

either his supervisor boh chap or pang chance, let him enjoy there

the value of the supervisor is to identify a "good" area for you to work on. Other than that, 
everything is up to you.

PhD is difficult but it is not about making a breakthrough. That's for the actual scientists.

[Image: screenshot2018-09-03at14.29.08.png]

(12-11-2021, 03:37 PM)starbugs Wrote:  PhD is difficult but it is not about making a breakthrough. That's for the actual scientists.

[Image: screenshot2018-09-03at14.29.08.png]

you are right. However there are a few cases where phd thesis ended winning nobel prizes
for the candidate and their supervisors. Eg frank wilcek and his supervisor bill gross on the unifying the strong force aka quantum chromodynamics!