Netizens encourage others to support elderly cobblers at Holland Vilage MRT
Thumbs Up 

[Image: vTapEUh.jpg]
Netizens encourage people to support elderly cobbler near Holland Village MRT

by kathleen 23/07/2021Reading Time: 3 mins read
Netizens encourage people to support elderly cobbler near Holland Village MRT
Source: Hawkers United - Dabao 2020 / Facebook

Cobbling is a slowly dying trade, even before the pandemic which has affected small businesses significantly. However, there are still some cobblers trudging along with their trade despite the challenges.

One such cobbler is an elderly man in his 70s who peddles his trade near the Holland Village MRT Station.

A netizen on the Hawkers United – Dabao 2020 Facebook group shared on Monday (19 July) that she had read about this uncle decided to pay him a visit to support his trade. She took her daughter’s heels to him for mending.

On 11 July, Mothership.sg posted a video featuring the same cobbler, identified as 75-year-old Peter Chin. According to the video, Mr Chin has been working as a cobbler at Holland Village for over four decades, the sole breadwinner of his family. He supports his wife and his son who has depression, the video noted.

Unfortunately, the business has started to dwindle over the years as fewer people opt for roadside cobblers.

“When my business is good, my mood will be good because then I would be able to feed my family,” he said in the video.

“How can I be happy when there’s no business?”

The netizen who posted on Hawkers United – Dabao 2020 group expressed her sadness at seeing his hands shaking while holding onto his tools while working.

When she asked him if his business had improved after the news, the uncle said “点啦 with exasperation,” she recalled.

The netizen then encouraged readers to help the uncle if they could, as it may just mean “one less meal at a restaurant for many [people]” for them to send their shoes in to be mended by him.

Several people commented on the Hawkers United – Dabao 2020 post that they’ve been taking their shoes to him for repair, commending his workamnship. One person said “He’s great”, while another said he is their “go-to cobbler”.

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2021/07...llage-mrt/

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.