OCBC cautions public about SMS scams after customers lose $140,000 in 10 days

Tay Hong Yi
PUBLISHED 9 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE - OCBC Bank on Thursday (Dec 23) warned that there has been a sharp rise in the number of phishing scams via SMS impersonating it, with 26 customers losing a total of $140,000 to these scams in 10 days, from Dec 8 to 17.

It said: "For the month of December so far, OCBC Bank has detected and initiated the takedown of 45 phishing websites, about eight times more than the average takedown requests every month."

The bank said of the scams: "Members of the public have received unsolicited SMSes purportedly from the bank claiming there are issues with their bank accounts or credit cards.

"The SMSes contain a link to a fraudulent website disguised as a legitimate bank website requesting banking information and passwords."

OCBC said it would never send customers an SMS to inform them of an account closure or that they have been locked out of their accounts temporarily.

Rest of the report at: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...in-10-days

I want to tell a incident related to this.

I wanted to call OCBC and Google "OCBC hotline".

Unfortunately the first number that came out of Google was from a loan company that put out an Ad with Google. In my hurry I did not notice and called the number thinking it was OCBC.

I did not get the usual recorded message when the person answered so I asked the man on the other line it his was OCBC, how come no recorded message. He said yes OCBC and machine was down so no message.

Then he proceeded to do phone verification. After giving my name and about give my IC ...I thought better to a double check of the number I called. That was when I realised I called the wrong company.

What was the guy trying to do with my personal details? Not too sure by he seem ready to conduct his phishing like he had done it before.

I guess there are just many scammers around. People using others personal data for various purposes etc.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

As far as I know, those people who left their personal phone numbers on unknown and insecure sites are being attacked. If you add phone data or email when registering on strange sites, your phone number may be stolen by scammers. This is how phones get into the databases of spammers. I never leave a personal number on unpopular and unsafe forums, sites and services. I prefer to use a temporary numbers taken on https://quackr.io . These numbers are quite real and looks authentic. With this, you can register on the website, order delivery, receive an SMS with a code, etc.

(02-02-2023, 08:28 PM)Verqillius Wrote:  As far as I know, those people who left their personal phone numbers on unknown and insecure sites are being attacked. If you add phone data or email when registering on strange sites, your phone number may be stolen by scammers. This is how phones get into the databases of spammers. I never leave a personal number on unpopular and unsafe forums, sites and services. I prefer to use a temporary numbers taken on https://quackr.io . These numbers are quite real and looks authentic. With this, you can register on the website, order delivery, receive an SMS with a code, etc.

You are another scammer.