Ong Ye Kung looks forward to a 'healthy contest' as SDP targets Sembawang in next GE

https://mothership.sg/2022/08/ong-ye-kun...awang-grc/
[+] 1 user Likes Ichigo's post

Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said that competition in the Group Representation Constituency (GRC) of Sembawang for the next general election is welcome, so long as the competition is healthy, and it gives residents a choice.
Ong was responding to a question regarding an announcement by the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) in which the party's chairman Paul Tambyah said that it is seeking to contest Sembawang GRC.

Ong spoke at the launch of a resident "flea market" for home-based businesses.
The anchor minister for Sembawang GRC said that the SDP's decision was "not surprising", given that they had contested in the GRC over 10 years ago, in 2011. He added that so long as the competition is healthy and gives residents a choice, this is something that is "positive".
His team will therefore "do its best" in a bid to win the mandate from the GRC's residents in the next general election, Ong said, although he mentioned that it would not be held relatively soon.
The next general election must be held by November 2025, over three years from now.
In the meantime, Ong's team will focus on what they have promised residents — namely, projects to help improve their lives, he added.

When asked why he was not surprised by the SDP's decision, he replied, "I suppose it's the time when different parties, especially opposition parties, try to 'chope' places around Singapore, where they should contest."
Factors like history and where they have contested before will therefore likely come into play, he said.
In the 2020 general election, his People's Action Party (PAP) team defeated a team from the National Solidarity Party (NSP) with 67.29 per cent of the votes.

On the prospects of a three-cornered fight, Ong said that while he was unsure if such a scenario might happen, his team will continue to focus on their work of improving the lives of residents.

A three-cornered fight might be more exciting for residents

When asked if a three-cornered fight might be more advantageous for the PAP, he said, "I don't know. I think it might be more exciting for the residents. So let's just focus on our work and not worry about how many corners are there, in any shape."
With regard to his status as the only political office holder among the Sembawang MPs, and whether he expected any movements within his team, Ong replied:

"Every GE, every GRC will have movements. I don't a recall a GRC without movements; it is part and parcel of our renewal process. So I think we should continue this process which is very important."

Sembawang's electoral history

Sembawang was a walkover victory for the incumbent PAP in 2001. The SDP contested the GRC in both the 2006 and 2011 general elections.
However, it was the NSP that contested Sembawang in the 2015 and 2020 general elections.
In the most recent election, a PAP team helmed by Ong with Poh Li San, Mariam Jaafar, Lim Wee Kiak and Vikram Nair defeated an NSP team of Ng Chung Hon, Sathin S/O Ravindran, Sebastian Teo, Yadzeth Bin Hairis and Yeo Tiong Boon by 67.29 to 32.71 per cent of the vote.

Aiya whatever politicians say just take it at face value lah. In front of camera they say they welcome healthy competition, but behind they work on fixing liao..... Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 4 users Like Huliwang's post

(14-08-2022, 04:18 PM)Huliwang Wrote:  Aiya whatever politicians say just take it at face value lah. In front of camera they say they welcome healthy competition, but behind they work on fixing liao..... Big Grin

Think after this talk about healthy competition, he went straight back to thinking of how to fix them liao. A party that won 60% of votes but hold 90% of the seats, is this an indication of healthy competition? This guy helped George Yeo lose Aljunied GRC, will he get knocked out a second time? Sembawang GRC seems not so in danger, if he was at East Coast then I worry for him.
[+] 2 users Like Ichigo's post

(14-08-2022, 04:05 PM)Ichigo Wrote:  https://mothership.sg/2022/08/ong-ye-kun...awang-grc/

You vote for which party leh?

(14-08-2022, 04:38 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  You vote for which party leh?

I not Sembawang GRC leh, why you ask leh? My area people are more enlightened one nia.

(14-08-2022, 04:36 PM)Ichigo Wrote:  Think after this talk about healthy competition, he went straight back to thinking of how to fix them liao. A party that won 60% of votes but hold 90% of the seats, is this an indication of healthy competition? This guy helped George Yeo lose Aljunied GRC, will he get knocked out a second time? Sembawang GRC seems not so in danger, if he was at East Coast then I worry for him.

Obviously, it is not healthy at all. It is not a gentleman fight.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

In PMO, he must be jumping mad because he had lost the PM Seat and now this.

I think Ting Pei Ling should be PM because she is a chiobu and carries a Kate spade bag Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(14-08-2022, 07:27 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  I think Ting Pei Ling should be PM because she is a chiobu and carries a Kate spade bag Big Grin

I concur with your comments my dear bro p1acebo.
Just put a tuliap chiobu and Ichigo will vote for her nia. Zhut zhut.
[+] 2 users Like Ichigo's post

(14-08-2022, 05:04 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Obviously, it is not healthy at all. It is not a gentleman fight.

Oooh could he mean to have a healthy dose of an ungentlemanly fight?

(14-08-2022, 07:36 PM)Ichigo Wrote:  I concur with your comments my dear bro p1acebo.
Just put a tuliap chiobu and Ichigo will vote for her nia. Zhut zhut.

Yes dear bro Ichigo.  Zhut zhut piak piak Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(14-08-2022, 07:38 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Yes dear bro Ichigo.  Zhut zhut piak piak Big Grin

A sample of the type of candidate Ichigo will vote for. Boink boink zhut zhut bonk bonk piak piak.

[Image: 5-F3-BEBDD-77-C6-425-B-9-C3-F-39989-E9-B3376.webp]

(14-08-2022, 07:45 PM)Ichigo Wrote:  A sample of the type of candidate Ichigo will vote for. Boink boink zhut zhut bonk bonk piak piak.

[Image: 5-F3-BEBDD-77-C6-425-B-9-C3-F-39989-E9-B3376.webp]

Yummy!!!

(14-08-2022, 07:27 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  I think Ting Pei Ling should be PM because she is a chiobu and carries a Kate spade bag Big Grin

Wah lau, your standard very low leh. If you mentioned Sun Xue Ling I can still concur with you.

(14-08-2022, 08:08 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Wah lau, your standard very low leh. If you mentioned Sun Xue Ling I can still concur with you.

She is just a flower vase.  No substance Big Grin

She took nice pics during the last erections.
[Image: A0-D439-B3-CF9-E-4-F28-88-EA-A166448845-E7.jpg]

(14-08-2022, 08:36 PM)Ichigo Wrote:  She took nice pics during the last erections.
[Image: A0-D439-B3-CF9-E-4-F28-88-EA-A166448845-E7.jpg]

Wah the comparison is stark!  Rotfl

(14-08-2022, 08:37 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Wah the comparison is stark!  Rotfl

She seemed proud of her two petite siew mais. What I heard from a resident there was that she was very helpful and really assisted those who approached her for help. Went to a hawker centre there before, that area had a smelly meow meow sai smell, therefore never returned again.