Outrage as Nashville singer avoids jail time for shooting homeless man

Johanna Chisholm
Wed, 9 November 2022 at 6:54 pm

An aspiring singer has stunningly avoided jail time after shooting an unarmed man experiencing homelessness twice during an argument about where her Porsche was parked in Nashville.

Katie Quackenbush, 32, who’s also known on stage as Katie Layne, was given 11 months and 29 days of probation on Thursday by a judge who also decided she would be able to serve her time in her home state of Texas

The 32-year-old mother of four made a tearful statement at her sentencing, where she both offered an apology to Gerald Melton, the man she shot in 2017, and explained how she was already facing punishment doled out by her community.

“For five years, I’ve been having to live with this ... social punishment. Even after all of this is over, Google is always going to be there. This will follow me for the rest of my life,” said Ms Quackenbush at Thursday’s hearing, noting that her life has been like “one foot in purgatory and the other in real life.”

For Mr Melton, that day left far more than an emotional scar as he had to undergo at least three surgeries to repair his injuries.

The 54-year-old said that as he began walking away from the woman, she hopped out of the Porsche and fired two shots before fleeing the scene.

Neither she nor the passenger with her reported the shooting to police, instead choosing to drive to Taco Bell. Police only responded to the shooting when Mr Melton placed a call himself

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/outrage-nashvi...50008.html

Ridiculous law. I don't see how she can escape jail time.

(10-11-2022, 11:51 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Ridiculous law. I don't see how she can escape jail time.

Hang her lah! Angry  Cannot meh?  Thinking