PRC aunty shouted & insulted me when I told her to speak English because I couldn’t

(10-01-2023, 12:34 PM)Niubee Wrote:  Sorry. What theory is this ?  Laughing

Dumbfuck theory  Big Grin

(10-01-2023, 12:34 PM)debono Wrote:  It is not a hate China per se, so that they don't write or speak in Chinese. But it is a matter of how conversant in Chinese are they, and they are more comfortable in speaking in English................. Big Grin

You are a Chinese so you must say and write in Chinese lah! Big Grin So simple logic leh!

(10-01-2023, 12:34 PM)debono Wrote:  It is not a hate China per se, so that they don't write or speak in Chinese. But it is a matter of how conversant in Chinese are they, and they are more comfortable in speaking in English................. Big Grin

Next time when you run into that situation, try google translate. No need to quarrel over small things lah, ok?
[+] 2 users Like WhatDoYouThink!'s post

(10-01-2023, 12:28 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Can you speak Chinese? Why you cannot leh?  Thinking

I can speak Mandarin, but cannot read Chinese, only able to read a few Chinese words........ Laughing
[+] 2 users Like debono's post

(10-01-2023, 12:47 PM)debono Wrote:  I can speak Mandarin, but cannot read Chinese, only able to read a few Chinese words........ Laughing

Can you write Chinese words here?  Thinking 你姓什么叫什么名呢?

(10-01-2023, 11:46 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  鸡同鸭讲,use hand signals lah

不懂易经真糟糕!
不懂得看脸色,才是关键。
原本是小事,搞到报警处理。
不辱骂你才是奇怪,不是吗? Big Grin

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

this is a huge issue the authorities hv to deal with since They THEY are the ones allowing such people to come here, Worse! to work in a service industry where our common working language is english. and yeh simple engrish also can.

there is absolutely No Excuse for this failure to ensure that!
[+] 2 users Like menghuii's post

(10-01-2023, 01:05 PM)menghuii Wrote:  this is a huge issue the authorities hv to deal with since They THEY are the ones allowing such people to come here, Worse! to work in a service industry where our common working language is english. and yeh simple engrish also can.

You are British?  Laughing

(10-01-2023, 01:05 PM)menghuii Wrote:  this is a huge issue the authorities hv to deal with since They THEY are the ones allowing such people to come here, Worse! to work in a service industry where our common working language is english. and yeh simple engrish also can.

Tell me how non Chinese Singaporean survive in HK or Taiwan? ask Hongkie or Taiwanese speak English?  Rotfl

I always try my best to use Mandarin to communicate with another Chinese in SG, except those die hard White man whorshipping Bananas insist to use English even after i told them im a pure Chinese   Laughing

Many immigrants in us/canada speaker no ingerlish, but able to pass driving tests, work as counter stuff and some even set up businesses and doing well.

Some here married foreign spouses who dun speaker ingerlish or chinese.

It's a matter of 心态,and whether you want to stir sheet or not
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

(10-01-2023, 12:21 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Those who hate AngMoh shouldn't write or speak in English lah! Big Grin 讲华语写华文啦!haha...  Laughing

Scold those anti-Chinese in Chinese, some may not understand. Cannot serve the purpose, so must rebut in English wah
[+] 1 user Likes Clyde's post

(10-01-2023, 12:24 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  You mean those hate china shdnt write or speak china?
I remember he once said he was alibaba

Singaporeans should only speak Chinese. China will be the only super power next time.
[+] 2 users Like Entry Level PC's post

FWs need to learn English do as to serve customers better. If I am the boss, I wud not want to employ a staff that cannot speak English or mandarin. Here is Singapore, not China. Worst of all, what abt dialects? We are aka to a 3rd world country now.
[+] 1 user Likes Gemstar's post

(10-01-2023, 11:09 AM)CHAOS Wrote:  All race in US, England, Australia, Canada, NZ speak English, Malaysia speak Malay, Thailand speak Thai, Japan speak Japanese, China speak Mandarin, France speak french, HK speak Cantonese........ why only SG force all race to speak English ? isnt we are a majority British country?  Rotfl
Because Chinese is not a race and there is no such language as Southeast Asian which is what we are.

(10-01-2023, 01:51 PM)YGemstar Wrote:  FWs need to learn English do as to serve customers better. If I am the boss, I wud not want to employ a staff that cannot speak English or mandarin. Worst of all, what abt dialects? We are aka to a 3rd world country now.
Swahili more useful than Mandarin. 

F...k Mandarin. Swahili is the way to go.

(10-01-2023, 01:50 PM)Entry Level PC Wrote:  Singaporeans should only speak Chinese. China  will be the only super power next time.

Singapore has Malays and Indians also Eurasians leh! Big Grin Are you a Singaporean leh?  Thinking
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post

(10-01-2023, 01:16 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  I always try my best to use Mandarin to communicate to another Chinese in SG, only those die hard White man whorshipper Bananas insist to use English even after i told them im a pure Chinese   Laughing

You are probably a hawker. 

Singaporeans only speak Mandarin to hawkers and no one else now.  Rotfl

(10-01-2023, 10:40 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  These elderly tiongs are so self entitled.  This is Singapore.  We are multi-racial and not tiong only.  Spare a thought for the other races.

Next time, the Malay aunty should tell the PRCunt to learn hok kien way first lah then berhasa then English ! Else the PRCunt can balek kampong to Tng Swah where
the PRCunt can continue to use her Manchurian originating Mandarin !  Laughing
[+] 3 users Like way's post

(10-01-2023, 01:08 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  Tell me how non Chinese Singaporean survive in HK or Taiwan? ask Hongkie or Taiwanese speak English?  Rotfl

LOL Millions of expats in HK and Taiwan speak English there stupid wumao dumb fark rotting in a dumpster somewhere in Sembawang or Punggol  Laughing

(10-01-2023, 12:42 PM)Hcheekopekman Wrote:  You are a Chinese so you must say and write in Chinese lah! Big Grin So simple logic leh!

Chinese are in China. There got firewall, those pathetic LOSERS chinese can’t access outside world internet like this forum

(10-01-2023, 01:54 PM)satayxp Wrote:  You are probably a hawker. 

nudie

[Image: 11.jpg]

(10-01-2023, 01:54 PM)satayxp Wrote:  You are probably a hawker. 

You mean people working in Channel 8 and U, Zaobao..... are workers of hawker also ah?  Laughing

Fxxk yr whole families!!!

(10-01-2023, 01:53 PM)satayxp Wrote:  Swahili more useful than Mandarin. 

F...k Mandarin. Swahili is the way to go.

By the way, wtf of swahili? can eat?
[+] 1 user Likes CHAOS's post

(10-01-2023, 01:54 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Singapore has Malays and Indians also Eurasians leh! Big Grin Are you a Singaporean leh?  Thinking

Hk and Taiwan also have many Angmoh, Malays and Indians also Eurasians, but why Hongkie and Taiwanese still use Mandarin and Cantonese not English?  Rotfl

I speak to my dentist in Mandarin. He is from China but graduate fron NUS. Very friendly, nice and polite.
[+] 1 user Likes Clyde's post

Every time when i walking on the sidewalk and talking to my friends with Mandarin in Phuket and Bali, those nice sidewalk sales always say Ni Hao Ma! but when we speak English they will ask where are you from? Korea or Japan?  Laughing

(10-01-2023, 02:10 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  Hk and Taiwan also have many Angmoh, Malays and Indians also Eurasians, but why Hongkie and Taiwanese still use Mandarin and Cantonese not English?  Rotfl

Since kindergarten I had been taught to speak English leh! Big Grin English is our 1st language in Singapore leh! Chinese is our 2nd language leh!

(10-01-2023, 02:20 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Since kindergarten I had been taught to speak English leh! Big Grin English is our 1st language in Singapore leh! Chinese is our 2nd language leh!

The Purpose of Colonial Education

The idea of assimilation is important to colonial education. Assimilation involves the colonized being forced to conform to the cultures and traditions of the colonizers. Gauri Viswanathan points out that “cultural assimilation [is] … the most effective form of political action” because  “cultural domination works by consent and often precedes conquest by force” (85). Colonizing governments realize that they gain strength not necessarily through physical control, but through mental control. This mental control is implemented through a central intellectual location, the school system, or what Louis Althusser would call an “ideological state apparatus.” Kelly and Altbach argue that “colonial schools…sought to extend foreign domination and economic exploitation of the colony” (2) because colonial education is “directed at absorption into the metropole and not separate and dependent development of the colonized in their own society and culture” (4). Colonial education strips the colonized people away from their indigenous learning structures and draws them toward the structures of the colonizers (see Frantz Fanon).

Much of the reasoning that favors such a learning system comes from supremacist ideas of the colonizers. Thomas B. Macaulay asserts his viewpoints about British India in an early nineteenth century speech. Macaulay insists that no reader of literature “could deny that a single shelf of a good European library was worth the whole native literature of India and Arabia.” He continues, stating, “It is no exaggeration to say, that all the historical information which has been collected from all the books written in Sanscrit language is less valuable than what may be found in the most paltry abridgments used at preparatory schools in England.” The ultimate goal of colonial education is this: “We must at present do our best to form a class who may be interpreters between us and the millions whom we govern; a class of persons, Indian in blood and colour, but English in taste, in opinions, in morals, and in intellect.” While all colonizers may not have shared Macaulay’s lack of respect for the existing systems of the colonized, they do share the idea that education is important in facilitating the assimilation process.