PRC aunty shouted & insulted me when I told her to speak English because I couldn’t

The Impact of Colonial Education

Often, the implementation of a new education system leaves those who are colonized with a limited sense of their past. The indigenous history and customs once practiced and observed slowly slip away (see Paul Gilroy: The Black Atlantic). Growing up in the colonial education system, many colonized children enter a condition of hybridity, in which their identities are created out of multiple cultural forms, practices, beliefs and power dynamics. Colonial education creates a blurring that makes it difficult to differentiate between the new, enforced ideas of the colonizers and the formerly accepted native practices. Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o, a citizen of the once colonized Kenya, displays his anger about the damage that colonial education wreaks on colonized peoples. He asserts that the process “annihilate[s] a people’s belief in their names, in their languages, in their environment, in their heritage of struggle, in their unity, in their capacities and ultimately in themselves. It makes them see their past as one wasteland of non-achievement and it makes them want to distance themselves from that wasteland. It makes them want to identify with that which is furthest removed from themselves” (Decolonising the Mind 3).

Not only does colonial education eventually create a desire to disassociate with native heritage, but it affects the individual and the sense of self-confidence. Thiong’o believes that colonial education instills a sense of inferiority and disempowerment with the collective psyche of a colonized people. In order to eliminate the harmful, lasting effects of colonial education, postcolonial nations must connect their own experiences of colonialism with other nations’ histories. A new educational structure must support and empower the hybrid identity of a liberated people.

(10-01-2023, 11:24 AM)ROFLMAO Wrote:  CB.. you fcuk back to China if you don't like Spore policy

Is there such a policy that everybody in Sg must speak English?
[+] 1 user Likes cityhantam's post

(10-01-2023, 12:47 PM)debono Wrote:  I can speak Mandarin, but cannot read Chinese, only able to read a few Chinese words........ Laughing
That goes to me too. Most people can speak mandarin and unable to write or read Chinese characters.

(10-01-2023, 01:05 PM)menghuii Wrote:  this is a huge issue the authorities hv to deal with since They THEY are the ones allowing such people to come here, Worse! to work in a service industry where our common working language is english. and yeh simple engrish also can.

there is absolutely No Excuse for this failure to ensure that!
This make sense. Singapore is a service orientated country. Bosses must know this and employ staffs correctly. If not, it is better for them to work at back office and not front-line.

(10-01-2023, 11:46 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  鸡同鸭讲,use hand signals lah

Chicken and Duck talk lah! Big Grin

(10-01-2023, 12:47 PM)debono Wrote:  I can speak Mandarin, but cannot read Chinese, only able to read a few Chinese words........ Laughing

Can speak quite good already, at least bus and taxi drivers, and some hawkers can understand and no need to quarrel until pomata right?

(10-01-2023, 10:40 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  These elderly tiongs are so self entitled.  This is Singapore.  We are multi-racial and not tiong only.  Spare a thought for the other races.

I agree with this. Likewise, I hope the Chinese in Sg can show some graciousness by speaking in mandarin to service crews or anyone who looks like a PRC lah. If you are a Chinese and you can speak the language, not difficult to try to make life a bit easier for those PRC service crews too. Cut both ways..
[+] 3 users Like Sticw's post

(10-01-2023, 10:40 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  These elderly tiongs are so self entitled.  This is Singapore.  We are multi-racial and not tiong only.  Spare a thought for the other races.

PAMPERED BY pap
EMBRACE FT AS SAYS BY PAP
SO THEY CAN LOOK DOWN ON LLT(LOCAL LOW TALENT)
[+] 2 users Like talky's post

How I wish I could speak and understand Malay and Tamil language..

Often wonder how sinkees talk to their foreign spouses who no know england or china? Everything use hand and body language?

In quebec, if you ask for directions in english, the typical response is sorry, I dun speak english. Then he/she would tell you the directions in french, then repeat the whole thing in fluent english. Strange right?
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

(10-01-2023, 02:54 PM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  In quebec, if you ask for directions in english, the typical response is sorry, I dun speak english. Then he/she would tell you the directions in french, then repeat the whole thing in fluent english. Strange right?
French dominated place.. just like some folks told me, in order to get help never speak to french in English, instead speak to them in mandarin or dialect and they will speak to you in English, and then you can get on with life.. lol

Humans are pain in the ass, not many can be gracious and kind. Everyone for themselves...

(10-01-2023, 03:44 PM)Sticw Wrote:  French dominated place.. just like some folks told me, in order to get help never speak to french in English, instead speak to them in mandarin or dialect and they will speak to you in English, and then you can get on with life.. lol

Humans are pain in the ass, not many can be gracious and kind. Everyone for themselves...

French are always more 有骨气! they are dare to stand up against the global 5 Eyes gangs Anglo Saxon Imperialism, not like those shameless Banana Hanjians only like to look down or even bully their own race!

(10-01-2023, 12:15 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  
She sure is a chio bu............. Clapping Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

Nice titties Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(10-01-2023, 02:45 PM)Sticw Wrote:  How I wish I could speak and understand Malay and Tamil language..

I am able to speak, write and understand Malay.........but only able to speak and converse in Mandarin.......... Clapping Laughing

(10-01-2023, 07:32 PM)debono Wrote:  I am able to speak, write and understand Malay.........but only able to speak and converse in Mandarin.......... Clapping Laughing

puki mana? Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(10-01-2023, 07:51 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  puki mana? Big Grin

hahahah....wonder if uncle debono understands....

(10-01-2023, 12:49 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Can you write Chinese words here?  Thinking 你姓什么叫什么名呢?

屁恶蛋姓 Rotfl

(10-01-2023, 09:43 PM)TalkingRabbit Wrote:  hahahah....wonder if uncle debono understands....

Big Grin

(10-01-2023, 11:24 AM)ROFLMAO Wrote:  CB.. you fcuk back to China if you don't like Spore policy

He fcuk back to China, he has to face CCP leh.

Why you so cruel??

(10-01-2023, 02:45 PM)talky Wrote:  PAMPERED BY pap
EMBRACE FT AS SAYS BY PAP
SO THEY CAN LOOK DOWN ON LLT(LOCAL LOW TALENT)
If a country rulers does not hv a heart for it’s citizens, then they shd back-off not to govern. They won’t be respected and adored by the people. Is indeed we are the only 1st world country that are so specially unique.
[+] 1 user Likes Gemstar's post

(11-01-2023, 09:11 AM)kelhot2001 Wrote:  He fcuk back to China, he has to face CCP leh.

Why you so cruel??

Hows the weather of New Delhi today?  Big Grin

(11-01-2023, 10:17 AM)CHAOS Wrote:  Hows the weather of New Delhi today?  Big Grin

Why New Delhi?? So many threads already still 自我安慰 that only Indians hate you Tiong scum? Really tragic  Laughing

(10-01-2023, 01:55 PM)way Wrote:  Next time, the Malay aunty should tell the PRCunt to learn hok kien way first lah then berhasa then English ! Else the PRCunt can balek kampong to Tng Swah where
the PRCunt can continue to use her Manchurian originating Mandarin !  Laughing

We don’t welcome PRC scums here. Even if got any of them happen to speak “English” or rather their annoying Chingish. Can’t stand their BO, their disgusting food, and their disgusting accent  Laughing .

(10-01-2023, 02:06 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  You mean people working in Channel 8 and U, Zaobao..... are workers of hawker also ah?  Laughing

Fxxk yr whole families!!!

Hahahaha your reply only makes Chinese language  status more pathetic in SG. You’re admitting only hawkers, people who in Zaobao and Channel 8 speak Chinese that’s even super funnier  Rotfl
No more future liao in SG, it’s done.

(11-01-2023, 03:38 PM)satayxp Wrote:  Hahahaha your reply only makes Chinese language  status more pathetic in SG. You’re admitting only hawkers, people who in Zaobao and Channel 8 speak Chinese that’s even super funnier  Rotfl
No more future liao in SG, it’s done.

I guess your parents are satay hawker right?   Laughing thats why you hate people working in hawker, let us know whats is your family issue, kicked out from home by your parents since 14?   Big Grin

(11-01-2023, 03:37 PM)satayxp Wrote:  We don’t welcome PRC scums here. Even if got any of them happen to speak “English” or rather their annoying Chingish. Can’t stand their BO, their disgusting food, and their disgusting accent  Laughing .

Sorry hor, no Chinese no SG today, if you hate Chinese that much i suggest you migrate back to yr shithole motherland  Threatening

(11-01-2023, 03:37 PM)satayxp Wrote:  We don’t welcome PRC scums here. Even if got any of them happen to speak “English” or rather their annoying Chingish. Can’t stand their BO, their disgusting food, and their disgusting accent  Laughing .

How come you are displaying your cok here?  Rotfl

(10-01-2023, 02:06 PM)CHAOS Wrote:  You mean people working in Channel 8 and U, Zaobao..... are workers of hawker also ah?  Laughing

Fxxk yr whole families!!!

I think here mostly Channel 5 or CNA only lah! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post