Parents, would you let your children take public transport to school on their own?

Parents, would you let your children take public transport to school on their own?

It doesn't have to be one way or the other, this mum says. Read her take on how parents can make the morning school run less frenzied: https://cna.asia/3GPvDpp

I  suggest ban these school drop offs.
Here's why:

1. Walking will give child some form of exercise.
2. The congestion outside school waste everyone's time and adds to stress
3. It poses a danger to everyone as it narrows the main road and increase traffic density.

What I suggest is this,  identify 5 drop off areas where the children can walk to school within 400m of the school without crossing road. Only parents with kids in primary 1 to 2 or disabled allowed to drop off in school they should  be given priority. The rest plse don't congest the road.

Don't tell me children cannot walk. Then those whose parents have no car happens to be able to walk?

For parents who are so rich and afraid their children will be kidnap. You can stop your car at a public car park then walk your child to school. Or go to another school that allow you to drive in.

This stupid practice should have been stopped long time ago.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Besides public transport, there is still school bus, which is suitable for kids living further from school.
Those living nearer: walk or take public bus since it's just a few stops.

No face la...your school mate will mock your kids..

(23-01-2022, 11:56 AM)Bigiron Wrote:  Parents, would you let your children take public transport to school on their own?

It doesn't have to be one way or the other, this mum says. Read her take on how parents can make the morning school run less frenzied: https://cna.asia/3GPvDpp

Never gonna happen …. some even ask their maid carry their boy boy full pack during NS …..take own transport ….
Truly SG has no hope when the younger generations are full of snowflake strawberries …. how to compete internationally

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(23-01-2022, 12:08 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I  suggest ban these school drop offs.
Here's why:

1. Walking will give child some form of exercise.
2. The congestion outside school waste everyone's time and adds to stress
3. It poses a danger to everyone as it narrows the main road and increase traffic density.

What I suggest is this,  identify 5 drop off areas where the children can walk to school within 400m of the school without crossing road. Only parents with kids in primary 1 to 2 or disabled allowed to drop off in school they should  be given priority. The rest plse don't congest the road.

Don't tell me children cannot walk. Then those whose parents have no car happens to be able to walk?

For parents who are so rich and afraid their children will be kidnap. You can stop your car at a public car park then walk your child to school. Or go to another school that allow you to drive in.

This stupid practice should have been stopped long time ago.
In Singapore kidnapping is a serious crime, may get a life sentence.  That is why we don't see any kidnapping here........

Schools must set their own rules...some schools located in v congested areas must tell car owners to drop their kids eg 50 or 100 metres away

Nowadays, kids r sll v pampered n cocooned, like precious jewels.

My time, cycled all the way 4km away .

I walked to school on my own since Primary 2 or 3. But there are a lot of students on the way there so we walk together. I was the furthest so I walk alone for a few blocks before being joined by others.

I moved during Primary 6 and I took buses to and from school by myself. Same for the kids in my neighbourhood. That was back in the 70s and 80s.

From time I was primary 1 I walked to school.

Why children need to be chauffeured to school?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(23-01-2022, 02:19 PM)Levin Wrote:  I walked to school on my own since Primary 2 or 3. But there are a lot of students on the way there so we walk together. I was the furthest so I walk alone for a few blocks before being joined by others.

I moved during Primary 6 and I took buses to and from school by myself.  Same for the kids in my neighbourhood. That was back in the 70s and 80s.

Just to add, it is a more than 1km walk. The problem at that time is that the schoolbag is very heavy compared to nowadays as there are no lockers in school (I only have access to lockers in school at JC).

Think now aday kid are over pampers.

(23-01-2022, 02:24 PM)Levin Wrote:  Just to add, it is a more than 1km walk. The problem at that time is that the schoolbag is very heavy compared to nowadays as there are no lockers in school (I only have access to lockers in school at JC).

In those days, in the 70s.....the bag or haversack is filled with books, but still must carry it to school, lest we forget to bring any book that the teacher wants us to refer to.......

(23-01-2022, 12:16 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  No face la...your school mate will mock your kids..

Many want to show off being pickup by Mercedes or BMW etc. Laughing

Smile

(23-01-2022, 02:44 PM)Niubee Wrote:  Many want to show off being pickup by Mercedes or BMW etc. Laughing
There are some who wants to show off, and drive their family car to the car pouch, then let the child out.  Those in the class will respect the student who comes via Merz or BMW..........

I send my boy to school in the morning but he takes the public bus home. I don't like him to start his day with sweaty shirt as I did when I was young. But I want him to carry his own bag on way home so he knows how to get home and that later part in life always with load and burden to carry...

(23-01-2022, 02:20 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  From time I was primary 1 I walked to school.

Why children need to be chauffeured 
 Because they dont trust Govt Public Transport.