Party boss of Alibaba’s home city being investigated

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...-home-city

Quote:China is investigating Hangzhou’s top government official for serious disciplinary violations, casting a spotlight on the city that is home to Jack Ma’s Ant Group Co. and Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.

Hangzhou Municipal Party Committee Secretary Zhou Jiangyong, 53, has been placed under investigation for serious violations of party discipline and state law, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said in a statement Saturday. While the agency didn’t elaborate on Zhou’s suspected offenses, the party watchdog routinely uses such terminology to describe corruption probes.

Following the announcement of the probe into Zhou, Hangzhou’s Municipal Standing Committee on Saturday held a meeting affirming its commitment to anti-corruption and responsible governance. A separate CCDI statement said the city will undertake a campaign to root out inappropriate government-business ties.

Social media accounts wrote over the weekend that Zhou’s family bought up shares in a fintech company ahead of its initial public offering in November, before the listing plans were scrapped, according to an article from Chnfund that was published in the Paper, part of the state-backed Shanghai United Media Group. The postings, which didn’t name the company, have since been deleted, according to the article.

Ant Group on Sunday denied that certain individuals purchased shares of the company ahead of its planned IPO last year, as “recent online rumors” had suggested. The firm didn’t elaborate on who it was referring to, adding that it had strictly adhered to all relevant laws and regulations through the listing process. Regulators called an abrupt halt to Ant’s record $35 billion IPO days before its debut last year, after its founder publicly criticized financial regulators.

Alibaba fell as much as 3.9% in early trading Monday, before paring most of the losses. The Hang Seng Tech Index climbed as much as 4.5%, rebounding from last week’s 11% slump.

Hangzhou has grown to become one of China’s most affluent cities, thanks in large part to Alibaba and its group of affiliates. The country’s top e-commerce operator contributes billions in local taxes and is one of the top employers in the city, located in eastern Zhejiang province. It has also drawn hundreds and thousands of vendors and merchants to the city, all seeking to do business with Ma’s sprawling internet empire.

That outsized influence in Hangzhou has fostered a strong relationship with the local government. In 2019, Ma was presented with a “Meritorious Hangzhou citizen” award by none other than Zhou, the local party boss, who feted the billionaire tycoon for his contributions to the city’s economic and social development, according to government statements at the time. Local media have also published photos of Zhou attending Alibaba’s annual Singles’ Day shopping festival in 2019.         

China under Xi Jinping has stepped up a years-long campaign against graft -- considered a major destabilizing force for the Party -- that’s ensnared several high-profile officials from Chongqing to Shanxi. Business executives have also come under fire. Last year, Hu Xiaogang, a veteran executive of bad-debt company China Great Wall Asset Management Co., was placed under investigation. China Huarong Asset Management Co.’s former chairman Lai Xiaomin was executed in January for crimes including bribery.

The investigation into Zhou comes after Zhejiang was recently named by the government as a pilot zone for Xi’s wealth redistribution efforts. The province, traditionally a crucible for fast-growth private enterprises, has announced plans to raise per-capita disposable income to 75,000 yuan ($11,555) by 2025, a 45% increase within five years. It also wants wages to account for more than half of its gross domestic product. Xi has in recent months emphasized rhetoric about “common prosperity” as he seeks to reduce poverty, putting the nation’s wealthiest citizens on notice.

Read more: China Eyes Wealth Redistribution in Push for ‘Common Prosperity’

Speculation about Ant’s involvement in the Zhou investigation adds to an already troubled year for Ma. After its IPO was scrapped in November, the group was ordered to restructure into a financial holding company that would entail more government supervision. Alibaba was also placed under an antitrust investigation and fined a record $2.8 billion for violations such as forced exclusivity arrangements.

Tamasick also gone case

The business environment is now more of value creation for the ppl 以民为本

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Galilo_l's post

Alibaba .may be a goner.
This is kill pig to scare monkey tactics.

If they were to pick one to be the pig it will be alibaba as they hate Jack Ma since he is so liked by westerners with his English and main shareholder is Japanese.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

China orders Communist Party members to resolve conflicts of interest as top Hangzhou official probed
23 August 2021 12:46
(Recasts, adds statements from CCDI and Ant Group)

By Brenda Goh

SHANGHAI, Aug 23 (Reuters) – Members of China's ruling Communist Party in the technology hub city of Hangzhou have been ordered to resolve any potential business-related conflicts of interest involving themselves or relatives, the country's graft watchdog said on Monday.

The statement from the local arm of China's powerful Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CDDI) came two days after it announced a probe into the most senior party official in Hangzhou, city party secretary Zhou Jiangyong.

Zhou is under investigation for "serious violations of discipline and laws", the CCDI said, without giving further details. It wasn't immediately clear whether Zhou was under detention, and Reuters wasn't able to reach him to request comment.

On Monday the CDDI said close to 25,000 current party cadres in leadership positions in the eastern city, as well as those who had retired within the last three years, were undertaking "self examinations" to review any potential conflicts of interest.

Capital of Zhejiang province and a two-hour drive southwest of Shanghai, Hangzhou is home to more than 10 million people as well as some of China's top software and internet companies, including e-commerce giant Alibaba Group .

The city is also the home base for Alibaba's financial affiliate, Ant Group, whose record $37 billion initial public offering (IPO) was derailed last November by Chinese regulators, who wanted to rein in some of its operations and subject it to more rules and capital requirements.

Late on Sunday, Ant Group issued a statement saying it had "strictly followed laws and regulations" in an "open and transparent" IPO process, and dismissing speculation online surrounding the IPO as "false rumours".

Ant did not specify what these rumours were in its statement.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Saw CNA just now the probe is a corruption probe.

Very serious.

(23-08-2021, 03:04 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Alibaba .may be a goner.

If they were to pick one to be the pig it will be alibaba as they hate Jack Ma since he is so liked by westerners with his English and main shareholder is Japanese.

It should be kill chicken to warn monkey lah. No pig. Rotfl

Well that Horse Cloud became too arrogant and thought he could control the central government after "taming" Hangzhou government leaders!

(23-08-2021, 03:04 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Alibaba .may be a goner.

I thought the Chinese govt is investigating its senior CCP representative in Hangzhou the home town of Alibaba and not Alibaba's people?

If Alibaba's people, that guy will just disappeared like Jack Ma..... Rolleyes

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

walau ccp wants everything jack ma to go down.

i feel some big shot inside ccp is telling the biz people
'look, who's the boss here!"

(23-08-2021, 02:42 PM)Galilo_l Wrote:  The business environment is now more of value creation for the ppl 以民为本

This is what CCP govt has been doing.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
[+] 1 user Likes RiseofAsia's post

(23-08-2021, 05:32 PM)menghuii Wrote:  walau ccp wants everything jack ma to go down.

太贪心的后果。

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(23-08-2021, 05:32 PM)menghuii Wrote:  walau ccp wants everything jack ma to go down.

That horse thought that he could control CCP and make CCP kowtow to him!  Rotfl

Die hard value investors buy Alibaba....average down as it looks cheaper now.

Don't recommend this ...we are dealing with China the company has few legal recourse if govt decides to undermine it because they dislike the founder.

A bet like this depends on China govt to ease up on BABA....highly risky.

S

Really 斩草除根 style of olden emperors. I hope doesn’t revert back to those cruel
times.