Commentary: We need to talk about why Joseph Schooling crashed in Tokyo

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/com...s-15339062

Our reigning Olympic champion took part in the men’s 100m butterfly heats. Less than 54 seconds later, he was no longer the reigning champ.

Schooling clocked 53.12s. He was last in his heat. His time was almost three seconds slower than his Olympic record of 50.39s. 

He eventually ranked 44th out of 55 swimmers. China's Sun Jiajun took the 16th and final semi-final spot with his time of 51.74s.

Judging from social media, Singaporeans are divided over the result. Keyboard warriors have been out in full force, hurling all sorts of invective and hurtful words.

But are you surprised Schooling didn't make the final? I'm not. 
After the euphoria of winning gold in 2016, the manner of his exit on Thursday left me feeling more deflated than anything else.

However, if you have been tracking Schooling's performances and timings over the past four years after the Rio Games, you could have seen this coming.

In 2017, the first threat to his title defence emerged at the World Championships. That was where Caeleb Dressel first announced his arrival on the world stage. 

The American clocked 49.86s in the 100m butterfly final. Hungary’s Kristof Milak came after him in 50.62s. Schooling was third in 50.83s.

And since then, Schooling's times have been regressing. He won gold at the 2018 Asian Games in 51.04s. At the 2019 FINA World Championships, he clocked 52.93s in the heats and didn't qualify for the semi-finals. He was 24th out of 77 swimmers.

At the 2019 SEA Games, he finally clawed back to win gold in 51.84s. 

But this year, at the ISCA International Senior Cup in Florida in March, Schooling clocked 52.93s again to finish second behind Dressel, who cruised in at 51.69s.

And so this much was clear as we approached the Olympics - Schooling was not going to win a medal, much less successfully defend his gold. 

Perhaps, our sports officials knew it too but chose to be diplomatic.

At a press conference before the Olympics in early July, Singapore Sports Institute chief Toh Boon Yi said there were no medal targets for Schooling or any of Singapore's contingent.
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

I think not many are surprised. I looked at his times the last few years and knew no chance for him.

I thinkhedrank too much milo

Nothing to talk lah .... 4 years older and plenty of nasi briyani, char kuay teow, lui lian ... piak piak ..... along the way, its just show he is human lah.
Leave the bugger alone lah, already got us a Gold and a true blue Singaporean .... we should be grateful liow ....

At least, in my lifetime I have seen and experienced a gold medalist ... next one ...... by the look of things .....

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post

Even our Chinese imports cannot win gold after donkey years. How can we keep on blaming Schooling? He already achieved one for us 5 years ago.
[+] 1 user Likes mikotan's post

Too much sex and overeating.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Do you guys remember Liu Xiang of China and what he did in the years after winning the Olympic Gold?

(31-07-2021, 11:45 AM)mikotan Wrote:  Even our Chinese imports cannot win gold after donkey years. How can we keep on blaming Schooling? He already achieved one for us 5 years ago.

Agreed.. I am not sure if Singapore even returned the $1m that Schooling's parent spent on him on swimming..

But 1 thing I did noticed in this Olympics is that there are more homegrown talents taking part, which is a good sign..

Our sport council finally realized that throwing money to 'import' talent does not guarantee Singapore an Olympics medal, and focus back on local talents instead.Hopefully, there will be one day a special committee will be form to investigate wrong doings by the officials who spearhead the 'import' talent initiative and hold them accountable for the wrong policy made.

https://www.todayonline.com/commentary/c...gs-decline

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(31-07-2021, 12:03 PM)dynamite Wrote:  Do you guys remember Liu Xiang of China and what he did in the years after winning the Olympic Gold?

After winning the Olympics gold medal in 2004, he broke the world record in 2006.

He won the World Athletics Championship in 2007. He also won the World Indoor 60m hurdles in 2008.

He was injured at the next Olympics in 2008 and pulled out. He chose to recover without an operation. After he recovered, he continued to compete for several years and won several medals.

He was the fastest 110m hurdler in the world in 2012.

His personal best was in 2012 but it has a tailwind of more than 2m/s and thus was not recognised as a record.

He was again injured in the 2012 Olympics and since then his form dipped as he could not recover from it.

He retired from hurdling in 2015.
[+] 1 user Likes Levin's post

I believe he has slacked for past few yrs due to his popularity and commercial obligation. Swimming training cannot pause or reduce.Once you allow it and yr diet mess up, your timing will drop a few seconds. Want to build up ,it takes really hard work especially you r in the midst of aging.
[+] 1 user Likes Ernesto's post

(31-07-2021, 12:45 PM)Levin Wrote:  After winning the Olympics gold medal in 2004, he broke the world record in 2006.

He won the World Athletics Championship in 2007. He also won the World Indoor 60m hurdles in 2008.

He was injured at the next Olympics in 2008 and pulled out. He chose to recover without an operation. After he recovered, he continued to compete for several years and won several medals.

He was the fastest 110m hurdler in the world in 2012.

His personal best was in 2012 but it has a tailwind of more than 2m/s and thus was not recognised as a record.

He was again injured in the 2012 Olympics and since then his form dipped as he could not recover from it.

He retired from hurdling in 2015.

most declines are gradual over a long time, wherase sudden drop from the top to the bottom some find it hard to accept

why need to talk about him... he has a bright future

worry about us small fishes .. anytime retrench and no money to support family type.
[+] 1 user Likes keys's post

https://www.todayonline.com/commentary/c...gs-decline

"He admitted to the Sunday Times in February 2020 that he felt out of love with swimming after Brazil, and “did not want to get into the pool and just wanted to have fun”.

He did not have the heart anymore.... let's move on....

Now, the question is will he go serve ns ?

(31-07-2021, 10:55 AM)Tangsen Wrote:  Nothing to talk lah .... 4 years older and plenty of nasi briyani, char kuay teow, lui lian ... piak piak ..... along the way, its just show he is human lah.
Leave the bugger alone lah, already got us a Gold and a true blue Singaporean .... we should be grateful liow ....

At least, in my lifetime I have seen and experienced a gold medalist
... next one ...... by the look of things .....
1 pt for your sage words .
[+] 1 user Likes luncheonmeat's post

(31-07-2021, 03:44 PM)luncheonmeat Wrote:  1 pt for your sage words .

I no sage lah .... thanks for gibbing me rep, I also gib you to thanks  Big Grin

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin