Property dispute in Batam leaves some Singaporeans anxious

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/property-dispute-in-batam-leaves-some-sporeans-anxious

I totally disagree.

Yes as a Singaporean I do sympathise with S'poreans caught in this but their case is weak.

They bought 25yr leases and in indonesia max is 30yrs for foreigners.

The reason is it is a win win. Retirees need low cost housing and the Indonesian govt does not want foreigners who stay permanently in an area.

The lease already expire in 2018.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 3 users Like sgbuffett's post

(25-12-2021, 09:49 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I totally disagree.

Yes as a Singaporean I do sympathise with S'poreans caught in this but their case is weak.

The reason is it is a win win. Retirees need low cost housing and the Indonesian govt does not want foreigners who stay permanently in an area.

"Retirees need low cost housing and the Indonesian govt does not want foreigners who stay permanently in an area"

U think retirees would bot houses there are beggars like u meh ?
[+] 3 users Like EXBB's post

Law by law, you are right.

In fact, the owner can take actions against them for trespassing.

It's obvious that they just want to make a lot of noise hoping that someone...the government or the developer...anyone, doesn't matter...will give in to them.

Nothing to lose but much to gain by it.  Just try their luck...

(25-12-2021, 10:16 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Law by law, you are right.

In fact, the owner can take actions against them for trespassing.

It's obvious that they just want to make a lot of noise hoping that someone...the government or the developer...anyone, doesn't matter...will give in to them.

Nothing to lose but much to gain by it.  Just try their luck,

Their only claim is company promised to extend when property was sold for a premium.

The premium was never stated in initial contract. The company asked for $130K for 20yrs extension which the residents rejected as too high.

I think people have to understand that only what is in the contract is valid. Anything outside is not guaranteed.

If one go in with eyes open to pay for 30yrs low cost housing and no extension. These properties are a good deal for retirees who want a quiet place and rent out their HDB in Singapore.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(25-12-2021, 10:05 AM)EXBB Wrote:  "Retirees need low cost housing and the Indonesian govt does not want foreigners who stay permanently in an area"

U think retirees would bot houses there are beggars like u meh ?

1.  To keep a mistress
2.  Vacation/weekend home (already did their sums...what they pay a hotel, might as well buy..)
3.  Status symbol (Cannot afford an apartment in London but can still tell ppl "I own a flat in Batam!")

These people spent money which they can afford to lose..

(25-12-2021, 10:24 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Their only claim is company promised to extend when property was sold for a premium.

The premium was never stated in initial contract. The company asked for $130K for 20yrs extension which the residents rejected as too high.

I think people have to understand that only what is in the contract is valid. Anything outside is not guaranteed.

If one go in with eyes open to pay for 30yrs low cost housing and no extension. These properties are a good deal for retirees who want a quiet place and rent out their HDB in Singapore.
What you say may be applicable in Singapore. Outside of Singapore, even if it is stated in the contract, so what..

Do you want to go into a law suit oversea, and even if you win, the company would already have nothing left..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..
[+] 2 users Like ArielCasper's post

(25-12-2021, 10:24 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Their only claim is company promised to extend when property was sold for a premium.

If you retire at 40, you might have 20 years of relatively good health.  Then you live away from the urban madding crowd, and live close to nature.  You are likely to be healthy and fit enough to do a lot of things on your own.

A lot of young people think of retirement along this line, and assume that at 65 years of age, they will have a body of a 30 year old....can kick a ball around, can cook...do BBQ, picnic, dance to the latest rock, pop, gangnam...with a 100 W amplified speaker.

Reality is....
If you have elderly parents living with you, you will know that this is not the case..  

In countries like Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, they have large families where the young take care of the elderly members of the TRIBE. In Singapore, you may not even be married and have chewren. What tribe can you talk about?

In Singapore, your chewren go out to work, you are alone in your HDB flat.  You retire in Batam, it gets worse because first, your chewren are a long ferry ride plus taxi ride away.  Two, you are not fluent in Bahasa.  Three, you are old, and Auntie Lucy (aka NTUC Fairprice) is not a stone's throw away...you cannot carry too heavy...you may have hypertension, heart problems, ischemic heart disease   Unlike when you were young, you cannot drive, cannot even ride a bicycle to do your shopping.  Worse if you have had a stroke.

When you are old, what you need is a polyclinic close by, a hospital within minutes of an ambulance ride, top notch healthcare and not village doctors...and supermarket, wet markets, hawker centres all nearby....you want urban living....plus you want neighbours who can speak your language if you need help, and you get that in HDB flats, not some where in Batam.

I know some buy to do air B&B also. one of their latest trend before covid was the development comes with a property management manage by hotel, hotel will manage and maintain the property with a handling fee and help owner to rent out. I may seems attractive initially, but I believe many hidden clause, like exterior of hotel... painting, deco etc. who pay? SGrean dream is to become a landlord. Good luck to them.

If expired then it is expected. Big Grin

(25-12-2021, 11:04 AM)watchfirst9 Wrote:  If expired then it is expected. Big Grin

Why buy a house with only 25 leasehold......it should at least be 60 years lease..... Clapping

aiya when lease expires without mutual written agreement it's like that lah

Their property there is cheaper than a economy car in Singapore, anxious what?

(25-12-2021, 10:43 AM)Oyk Wrote:  If you retire at 40, you might have 20 years of relatively good health.  Then you live away from the urban madding crowd, and live close to nature.  You are likely to be healthy and fit enough to do a lot of things on your own.

A lot of young people think of retirement along this line, and assume that at 65 years of age, they will have a body of a 30 year old....can kick a ball around, can cook...do BBQ, picnic, dance to the latest rock, pop, gangnam...with a 100 W amplified speaker.

Reality is....
If you have elderly parents living with you, you will know that this is not the case..  

In countries like Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, they have large families where the young take care of the elderly members of the TRIBE.  In Singapore, you may not even be married and have chewren.  What tribe can you talk about?

In Singapore, your chewren go out to work, you are alone in your HDB flat.  You retire in Batam, it gets worse because first, your chewren are a long ferry ride plus taxi ride away.  Two, you are not fluent in Bahasa.  Three, you are old, and Auntie Lucy (aka NTUC Fairprice) is not a stone's throw away...you cannot carry too heavy...you may have hypertension, heart problems, ischemic heart disease   Unlike when you were young, you cannot drive, cannot even ride a bicycle to do your shopping.  Worse if you have had a stroke.

When you are old, what you need is a polyclinic close by, a hospital within minutes of an ambulance ride, top notch healthcare and not village doctors...and supermarket, wet markets, hawker centres all nearby....you want urban living....plus you want neighbours who can speak your language if you need help, and you get that in HDB flats, not some where in Batam.

Your findings are quite true, it is what you had inputted....it is not easy to stay in Batam alone or with your spouse only.  Also in old age, you want to retire in a quiet place, but there are physical limitations when you are above 70.... crying

(25-12-2021, 12:54 PM)debono Wrote:  Your findings are quite true, it is what you had inputted....it is not easy to stay in Batam alone or with your spouse only.  Also in old age, you want to retire in a quiet place, but there are physical limitations when you are above 70.... crying

Im amazed u can talk so much cok which actually got no farking meanings. Laughing

(25-12-2021, 12:54 PM)debono Wrote:  Your findings are quite true, it is what you had inputted....it is not easy to stay in Batam alone or with your spouse only.  Also in old age, you want to retire in a quiet place, but there are physical limitations when you are above 70.... crying

U must be damn stupid to live in Singapore alone or with your wife or with your kids or with your dogs. Laughing

Well at least there is a property to fight for in Batam …. JB landed property … now no one want … all flooded  Rotfl

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(25-12-2021, 10:43 AM)Oyk Wrote:  If you retire at 40, you might have 20 years of relatively good health.  Then you live away from the urban madding crowd, and live close to nature.  You are likely to be healthy and fit enough to do a lot of things on your own.

Reality is....

In countries like Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, they have large families where the young take care of the elderly members of the TRIBE.  In Singapore, you may not even be married and have chewren.  What tribe can you talk about?

Reality.

Why is it that every time you opened your trap, you got scolded huh?

The other member who got scolded a lot is H4H and you seem to have taken over his place.  But that's because he is now active in edmw posting as lchlch....