Raj on " Foreign Talent" Policies - why S'pore govt has wrong focus

I thought he made a good point here.

For companies, they want to attract the best talents and get rid of lesser ones as they engage in competition. 

A country cannot be playing the role of a company and be conducting a war for talent against its own citizens. 

It's primary focus should be developing its own citizens. Until today the Singapore govt is telling Singaporeans they don't need a degree but they bring in foreigners with degrees to compete against us saying they need "talents" with degrees. Which is true? Why do thousands of parents have  spend money to send their children overseas for degree course due to lack of educational opportunities in Singapore? What about those who can't afford?

By conducting a war for talent against its own people, the PAP has lost focus on development of Singaporeans who are subjected to a highly competitive education system with lowest opportunity for university education compared with all developed Asian societies like Japan and Hong Kong, Singaporeans have half the odds for university education.
We have to spend our time doing NS during which others get education.

Development of own citizens should be a priority instead of scholarships for foreigners.

Above is my opinion. 

Here is Raj's view on the matter.

https://www.tiktok.com/@rajsimplysaid/vi...1820113153?

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Well, he got a good point like grooming or nurturing the young locals. I think PAP must came to a road block in the process he mentioned due to various issues like low IQ, low mental capacities of locals and worst of is not enough supply of young locals as men became gays and dun get married and some married but dun produce.    Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

(04-06-2023, 08:27 AM)Huliwang Wrote:  Well, he got a good point like grooming or nurturing the young locals. I think PAP must came to a road block in the process he mentioned due to various issues like low IQ, low mental capacities of locals and worst of is not enough supply of young locals as men became gays and dun get married and some married but dun produce.    Big Grin

Govt restrict access to university education for Singaporeans. Many who can't get jnto medicine, dentistry , banking and finance etc. If family can  go overseas come back with degrees that allow them to fill jobs they would otherwise filled by foreigners. 

For poorer Singaporeans they cannot afford to go overseas.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(04-06-2023, 08:39 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Govt restrict access to university education for Singaporeans. Many who can't get jnto medicine, dentistry , banking and finance etc. If family can  go overseas come back with degrees that allow them to fill jobs they would otherwise filled by foreigners. 

For poorer Singaporeans they cannot afford to go overseas.
I think govt restriction is just an excuse for not getting excellent results to enter local Us. Also PAP let foreign students came in to fill the shortfall of our local human supply. Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

now its ft got gd jobs.
sinkiis can
grab food from panda
then make food deliveroo to ft
then go jerk
then goget a coke..
ready TADA!

(04-06-2023, 04:27 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  For companies, they want to attract the best talents and get rid of lesser ones as they engage in competition. 

A country cannot be playing the role of a company and be conducting a war for talent against its own citizens. 

Development of own citizens should be a priority instead of scholarships for foreigners.

do you know why PAP can do this for many years ?
do you know why 60% citizens allow PAP to do this for many years ?

hint: covid mask policy

usually people will blame PAP but the root cause is the 60% voters who allow PAP to do this.
as long as PAP has 60% support, this will continue.

it means telling PAP to change is useless.
change can only come from 60% voters who start to vote for oppositions.
if 60% voters can drop to 50%, change will come fast and furious.

Raj made a good point but he and PAP are 20 years behind time.

20 years ago, PAP said lack of local IT talents and kept importing CECA until today.

recently PAP started a govt job attachment program to train locals for IT jobs in finance.
there were 4000 local applicants for 700 vacancies.
another govt IT job attachment program has 800 local applicants for 22 vacancies.

clearly, there is no lack of local talents but lack of training for local talents.
there is no need to import CECA unless there is no local applicant for the govt IT training.

it is useless to tell PAP to change when it has been happening for past 20 years.
[+] 3 users Like forum456's post

The Pappies don’t give a flying fug about Sinkies’ livelihoods. All they care about is gdp growth which directly affects their payouts and importing useless FTs is the quickest way to achieve that.

Nonsense. It's not true that parents have to spend money to send their children overseas for degree course. There're already many universities here in Spore.

If you cannot get into any of those then you shouldn't expect the universities to lower their standards for you.
[+] 3 users Like Blasterlord2's post

(04-06-2023, 04:27 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I thought he made a good point here.

For companies, they want to attract the best talents and get rid of lesser ones as they engage in competition. 

It's primary focus should be developing its own citizens . . . 

By conducting a war for talent against its own people,  . . . .  

Above is my opinion. 

Here is Raj's view on the matter.

https://www.tiktok.com/@rajsimplysaid/vi...1820113153?

Only 61% naive still in La-La Land

This CURRENT PAP has started to fight against us for years , lah

Why need so many useless Army Generals in the first place? 

Because they are useful to Current PAP for 3 reasons

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

(04-06-2023, 11:40 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Nonsense. It's not true that parents have to spend money to send their children overseas for degree course. There're already many universities here in Spore.

If you cannot get into any of those then you shouldn't expect the universities to lower their standards for you.

So how many places to train Singaporeans  to be doctors, Lawers, finance and banking professionals?
How can you say enough when so many do not have options but to send their children for overseas for education?

The number who have to go overseas to advance their education is large ...

This path is available only to those who can afford...those who are too poor have no such opportunities 

[Image: l9MVFbF.jpg]

We probably will continue to have the 60% majority because they keep importing new citizens who are grateful and will vote them.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(04-06-2023, 12:13 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  So how many places to train Singaporeans  to be doctors, Lawers, finance and banking professionals?
How can you say enough when so many do not have options but to send their children for overseas for education?

The number who have to go overseas to advance their education is large ...

This path is available only to those who can afford...those who are too poor have no such opportunities 

[Image: l9MVFbF.jpg]

If your children cannot qualify for a place in medical school and you badly want them to be doctors, what choices do you have other than send them overseas? Same goes for other professions. Should our universities lower their standards so that they can become doctors? And mind you, I have friends who are doctors but do not have fantastic grades so a lot depend on your performance during the interview.

This country is in such a sh*t state now because of whiners like you and the govt has to bow down to many of your requests. Go get a job instead of watching so many online videos.
[+] 1 user Likes Blasterlord2's post

(04-06-2023, 12:23 PM)FartSunKing Wrote:  Ladies and gentlemen

simi lj?

Your LJ burnt in the furnance

and your brain is still in the dustbin

while you are sucking PAP's tits dry

and a Malaysian Traitor like you is still a FREE Rider

No change! 

Heng arh.

And JAC Fart King is 100% true indeed

such a foolish man

well said about himself

Rotfl

Rotfl

(04-06-2023, 12:25 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  If your children cannot qualify for a place in medical school and you badly want them to be doctors, what choices do you have other than send them overseas? Same goes for other professions. Should our universities lower their standards so that they can become doctors? And mind you, I have friends who are doctors but do not have fantastic grades so a lot depend on your performance during the interview.

This country is in such a sh*t state now because of whiners like you and the govt has to bow down to many of your requests. Go get a job instead of watching so many online videos.

Based on what you say the govt can just under provision university for Singaporeans then blame them for not reaching standards.

Its see of they provide sufficient university places we just need to compare with other developed countries 
[Image: wiMvpMP.jpg]

(04-06-2023, 12:58 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Based on what you say the govt can just under provision university for Singaporeans then blame them for not reaching standards.

Its see of they provide sufficient university places we just need to compare with other developed countries 
[Image: wiMvpMP.jpg]

Whether one can enter university depends on one's ability. Not everyone is academically inclined. Some can burn the midnight oil and study very hard everyday but in the end cannot means cannot. It's true.

(04-06-2023, 01:01 PM)FartSunKing Wrote:  sgbuffett should blame his mother

or his father

for being a loser in life

after his poor A levels results 

failed to get him into a local university

instead of putting the blame on PAP

as if PAP is his mama's bosom

The issue is not about me but how Sjingapore develop our own local talent.

You do not need to make personal attacks at me as everyone is born into a different family and situation

My family is poor hence my opportunities are limited to   what we can afford.

(04-06-2023, 01:17 PM)FartSunKing Wrote:  Chan Chun Sing also born poor like you

I also born poor, a family of 7 living in a one bedroom company house

But I never gave up despite all my setbacks in my life

I got expelled from school after O levels

Flung my final year exams in NTU

My 1st wife left me

You flung your A levels, become a quitter and a whinner

Blaming PAP for your own mistakes and failures in your life

Wake up your fcuking ideas you fcuking moron!

You gave up your Morals and Ethics

and became a Sore LOSER in life

Everybody in the 80s were lucky under Mr LKY

You gave up working hard when my uncle can buy 4 units of condo in the same building for his family members due to your laziness

You ran away and quit Malaysia as a cowardice

Now you are still a quitter in Singapore who did not do NS

But nobody is a selfish greedy corrupted man like you

(04-06-2023, 01:17 PM)FartSunKing Wrote:  Chan Chun Sing also born poor like you

I also born poor, a family of 7 living in a one bedroom company house

But I never gave up despite all my setbacks in my life

I got expelled from school after O levels

Flung my final year exams in NTU

My 1st wife left me

You flung your A levels, become a quitter and a whinner

Blaming PAP for your own mistakes and failures in your life

Wake up your fcuking ideas you fcuking moron!

There is flawed of isolated examples...because one person can run  5 minute mile does not mean everyone or most can.

Chan is not doubt top of 30,000 students to get president and saf scholarship...and set for life.He is not representative of ordinary people.

A good system cannot narrowly benefit a small number of elites and 3xpect broad-based support.

(04-06-2023, 11:11 AM)forum456 Wrote:  Raj made a good point but he and PAP are 20 years behind time.

20 years ago, PAP said lack of local IT talents and kept importing CECA until today.

recently PAP started a govt job attachment program to train locals for IT jobs in finance.
there were 4000 local applicants for 700 vacancies.
another govt IT job attachment program has 800 local applicants for 22 vacancies.

clearly, there is no lack of local talents but lack of training for local talents.
there is no need to import CECA unless there is no local applicant for the govt IT training.

it is useless to tell PAP to change when it has been happening for past 20 years.

Is MOE mess up. Look at the Minister in charge now back to a Ex SAF Scholar in charge.
In fact teacher union used to oppose it feel Ex SAF not suitable in charge education that is many years back when Teo C H in charge.
And look what PAP do now? put Ex SAF scholar back in charge Education after routing around.

Remember early 2000 Polytechnic aggressive promote IT courses? now 2023 , literally already 23 years! Yet in the end claim no enough IT talents???
Something obviously again went wrong in MOE.

(04-06-2023, 11:40 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Nonsense. It's not true that parents have to spend money to send their children overseas for degree course. There're already many universities here in Spore.

Yes, there are many universities in Singapore and there are many vacancies in certain courses too. But if your child has no interest in taking up those unpopular courses, the parents have no choice but to spend money to send him/her overseas.

Also, our 2 universities produce insufficient doctors to go round. Our government has to import so many doctors whose degrees are from those dubious universities. As a Singaporean, what would you prefer, nurture your own doctors or bring in from third world countries?
[+] 1 user Likes Clyde's post

(04-06-2023, 12:58 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Based on what you say the govt can just under provision university for Singaporeans then blame them for not reaching standards.

If you compare the number of places given to Singaporeans to that i nthe past, you'll find that this number has increased tremendously. But has the quality of degree holders improved? The answer is no. I've seen plenty of local degree holders who cannot make it. These people would not even have gotten into university in the past had the government not open up more places for them. And yet, these exact same people now demand that they should be paid a lot more because they have a degree, despite having worse performance than diploma holders. 

In reality, the intelligence of a population cannot be trained. It all boils down to statistics. The number of clever people in a country is just limited to that few number. Even if the rest can get a degree they're just not as capable. No amount of training can transform them into thinkers.

(04-06-2023, 01:29 PM)Clyde Wrote:  Yes, there are many universities in Singapore and there are many vacancies in certain courses too. But if your child has no interest in taking up those unpopular courses, the parents have no choice but to spend money to send him/her overseas.

Also, our 2 universities produce insufficient doctors to go round. Our government has to import so many doctors whose degrees are from those dubious universities. As a Singaporean, what would you prefer, nurture your own doctors or bring in from third world countries?

Let's be honest about it. Most folks here dun choose a course because they love it, but because they know that they'll have better prospects with it. No matter how many places you open up for medicine, they'll never be enough, so long as people think that they can make a lot of money in that career. The only way to dampen this is to make sure that doctors earn a good but not obscene amount. This is something that the govt has failed to do.

I advocate for a narrower gap between salaries of different professions, not for the opening up of more places for locals in university.

(04-06-2023, 01:25 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Is MOE mess up. Look at the Minister in charge now back to a Ex SAF Scholar in charge.
In fact teacher union used to oppose it feel Ex SAF not suitable in charge education that is many years back when Teo C H in charge.
And look what PAP do now? put Ex SAF scholar back in charge Education after routing around.

Remember early 2000 Polytechnic aggressive promote IT courses? now 2023 , literally already 23 years! Yet in the end claim no enough IT talents???
Something obviously again went wrong in MOE.

The promotion of IT to young Sinkies began in the mid 1990s.  Yet Singapore has utterly failed to develop a thriving IT ecosystem.

The reason being that the Pappies failed to realize that nurturing and developing an entire industry needs captains who have to constantly lead and drive the growth of the industry by developing a local talent pool and evetually LEADERs in that field.  This means revamping education policies, having concrete academic paths and co-developing programs with technology corporations.  Yet the lazy Pappy fuggers did the most idiotic thing which is opening the floodgates and allowing CECAs etc to swamp the sector and give bullcrap excuses that this sort of move will result in skills transfer LMFAO!  

One generation later and zero progress has been made.
[+] 1 user Likes aiptasia's post

(04-06-2023, 02:20 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Let's be honest about it. Most folks here dun choose a course because they love it, but because they know that they'll have better prospects with it. No matter how many places you open up for medicine, they'll never be enough, so long as people think that they can make a lot of money in that career. The only way to dampen this is to make sure that doctors earn a good but not obscene amount. This is something that the govt has failed to do.

I advocate for a narrower gap between salaries of different professions, not for the opening up of more places for locals in university.
Both my children are not interested in medical even though they have good results. One of them told me he did not want to do anything with the sick or death.
Note also that for engineering course, they have already lowered the standard/entry requirement until cannot lower any further. Last time was straight 'A', and now between 'B 'and 'C'. Now the number of foreign students is more than the local students. During the 80s, almost all are local students and few Malaysians.

(04-06-2023, 12:25 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  If your children cannot qualify for a place in medical school and you badly want them to be doctors, what choices do you have other than send them overseas? Same goes for other professions. Should our universities lower their standards so that they can become doctors? And mind you, I have friends who are doctors but do not have fantastic grades so a lot depend on your performance during the interview.

Singapore is not training our own people to the fullest. The evidence is those who can't get into local universities go overseas and are trained to be professionals and able to take up jobs that would otherwise go to foreigners.

It is not about govt bowing down but for a govt to do fulfil it's responsibility to the people.

In fact the govt should not be allowed to take the easy way out to import people...it priority is with its own citizens.

(04-06-2023, 02:14 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  If you compare the number of places given to Singaporeans to that i nthe past, you'll find that this number has increased tremendously. But has the quality of degree holders improved? The answer is no. I've seen plenty of local degree holders who cannot make it. These people would not even have gotten into university in the past had the government not open up more places for them. And yet, these exact same people now demand that they should be paid a lot more because they have a degree, despite having worse performance than diploma holders. 

In reality, the intelligence of a population cannot be trained. It all boils down to statistics. The number of clever people in a country is just limited to that few number. Even if the rest can get a degree they're just not as capable. No amount of training can transform them into thinkers.

Throughout this thread you have made assertions without statistics or comparison. If you claim there is enough opportunity.....what is there to show 'enough' 

Since you mention IQ Singapore population has the highest IQ among developed Asian countries but lowest level of university education among Taiwan, Japan, S. korea. So how can it be enough?...

If those who cannot get into our university but can be trained to take up higher jobs overseas how can the govt claim it is doing it's best to develop our people.

I am not as stupid as Jac Fart King talking without brains

In those Top 10 Companies, actually only 5% are real talents holding the fort

so PAP's floodgates in the past 15 years has a hidden agenda

OK?

(04-06-2023, 04:16 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Throughout this thread you have made assertions without statistics or comparison. If you claim there is enough opportunity.....what is there to show 'enough' 

Since you mention IQ Singapore population has the highest IQ among developed Asian countries but lowest level of university education among Taiwan, Japan, S. korea. So how can it be enough?...

If those who cannot get into our university but can be trained to take up higher jobs overseas how can the govt claim it is doing it's best to develop our people.

I don't agree that the IQ of Spore population is the highest. There may be some news on it but I don't agree with it at all. Also, do you have any evidence that we have the lowest university education among those nations you mentioned?

There will always be people who couldn't get into university but are capable enough, but it does not mean that our system is flawed. Same as we can have highly intelligent people failing exams but in fact they're good, can we say that the exams are a failure?

There are so many universities now and you say that our locals dun have enough opportunities? Do you really want to lower the standards of our universities so much that anyone can enter them?