Restaurants face new challenge: A shortage of take-out containers and coffee cups

PUBLISHED SAT, NOV 6 2021 8:00 AM EDT

Amelia Lucas

Consumers are returning to restaurants in droves, but continued demand for takeout is exacerbating shortages of items like plastic straws, coffee cups and to-go containers.

Snarls in the global supply chain have been rippling across the economy for months as the health crisis has created bottlenecks and other new challenges for companies. Integral components like semiconductors have been in short supply, sending shockwaves through a number of industries.

For the restaurant business, supply chain challenges have resulted in rising food costs and shortages of key ingredients like chicken. And as consumers shift back to ordering from restaurants more often, many still aren’t eating their meals inside dining rooms. Off-premise restaurant orders were up 20% in September compared with the same time two years ago, according to the NPD Group. Higher demand for takeout containers, napkins and to-go cups are putting even more pressure on restaurants’ supply chains.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/06/restaura...cups-.html

Banana leaf jump 5 fold?

Maybe now is a good time to push for bring your own container to tabao from restaurants..

We have some success on that in coffeeshop/hawker stalls during COVID (cost consideration), so why not take a step further?

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

Do a "Bring your own container" campaign with 50cts discount each customer to be co sponsored by govt lah. Good for environment, biz and govt image.

so many complain.

Hey, it's not just you noticing the takeout container shortage; it's affecting restaurants all over. Supply chain hiccups have been a headache for many industries lately, and it looks like the restaurant biz is feeling the pinch. But hey, chin up! Sometimes, it's about finding alternative suppliers. It also depends on the materials used – whether they're eco-friendly or not. You know, making greener choices can sometimes help sidestep these issues. You might want to check out https://wonderfulcups.com/collection/coffee-cups; they might have some solutions. In the end, it's about adaptability, right? Here's to hoping things smooth out soon for the restaurant industry and takeout fans like us!