Rising cost of living, increased competition result in slow sales for CNY snacks

Rising cost of living, increased competition result in slow sales for Chinese New Year snacks

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...ow-3214281
[+] 2 users Like Bigiron's post

The main reason for slow sales is inflated snack prices!!!!!!

Bak Kwa $70 you expect people to buy??!!

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 6 users Like sgbuffett's post

(19-01-2023, 10:43 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  The main reason for slow sales is inflated snack prices!!!!!!

Bak Kwa $70 you expect people to buy??!!

Partially true but not the whole truth.

Each passing year saw more and more PGs passing away.  The years rolled by and we didn't notice it.  You told us you are not yet 40 but most of the members here are retirees in their 60s.  One day, the user ids you had "spoken/quarreled" with......they will cease to post, and you should know why.

Our population profile has changed where 40% of the population are foreigners who don't buy bak kwa or pineapple tarts...they are from Myanmar, Philippines etc whose cultures are different and anyway, they consider these to be too expensive.  Malaysians working here will NOT buy these here when they can get it cheaper in their motherland, and they are going back for the CNY where their old folks had already stocked up much more cheaply.

Our PGs, as I wrote earlier, are usually the ones who bought all these, but how many are still alive?

The MGs...how many chewren do the have?  What visitations are there to talk about if families have either zero kids or just one precious kid?  So you are only child, and your cousin is also an only child, and if both of you don't like each other, will both of you bother to visit?  Or for that matter, if your uncle is a bbfa, where is the cousin?  Fast forward another ten years, you will be an uncle...are you married, and how many kids do you have?  None?  So what's the point of buying bak kwa and pineapple tarts?

I had been saying for the longest time, that even if we don't have real time population census figures, we know something has changed simply by looking at the food scene.  The emergence of mala stalls which outnumber yong tau foo stalls and char kway teow stalls combined is very telling.  This will translate to lower bak kwa and pineapple tarts sales....just as they had resulted in schools and junior colleges closing down or being merged.
[+] 4 users Like Oyk's post

simple economics: demand getting lesser so prices will be higher to compensate for the 'loss in revenue'.

I also see a mountain of CNY snacks sitting for sale in supermarkets. Don't see many people buying them. After CNY, sure a lot of leftover stocks.
[+] 2 users Like starbugs's post

sg no longer have the mood to celebrate cny. foreigner more than local. knn 
all thanks to our lousy gov
[+] 5 users Like jus4lucky's post

All the greedy bastards are out for a kill with the first opening up after 3 years.

It's nice to see those selling their wares at super high prices fail during this period. 

Not that I am being wicked, those avaricious bastards have to be punished aptly for selling their stocks at sky high prices...they never consider those unemployed, retrenched, seniors and retirees with zero income. 

Many people are still living from hand to mouth during this difficult time.
[+] 3 users Like hansamu's post

(19-01-2023, 12:34 PM)hansamu Wrote:  All the greedy bastards are out for a kill with the first opening up after 3 years.

It's nice to see those selling their wares at super high prices fail during this period. 

Not that I am being wicked, those avaricious bastards have to be punished aptly for selling their stocks at sky high prices...they never consider those unemployed, retrenched, seniors and retirees with zero income. 

Many people are still living from hand to mouth during this difficult time.
Thumbs_up Thumbs_up Thumbs_up
[+] 2 users Like babygirl's post

(19-01-2023, 12:09 PM)jus4lucky Wrote:  sg no longer have the mood to celebrate cny. foreigner more than local. knn 
all thanks to our lousy gov
Thumbs_up Thumbs_up Thumbs_up
[+] 1 user Likes babygirl's post

(19-01-2023, 11:18 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Partially true but not the whole truth.

Each passing year saw more and more PGs passing away.  The years rolled by and we didn't notice it.  You told us you are not yet 40 but most of the members here are retirees in their 60s.  One day, the user ids you had "spoken/quarreled" with......they will cease to post, and you should know why.

Our population profile has changed where 40% of the population are foreigners who don't buy bak kwa or pineapple tarts...they are from Myanmar, Philippines etc whose cultures are different and anyway, they consider these to be too expensive.  Malaysians working here will NOT buy these here when they can get it cheaper in their motherland, and they are going back for the CNY where their old folks had already stocked up much more cheaply.

Our PGs, as I wrote earlier, are usually the ones who bought all these, but how many are still alive?

The MGs...how many chewren do the have?  What visitations are there to talk about if families have either zero kids or just one precious kid?  So you are only child, and your cousin is also an only child, and if both of you don't like each other, will both of you bother to visit?  Or for that matter, if your uncle is a bbfa, where is the cousin?  Fast forward another ten years, you will be an uncle...are you married, and how many kids do you have?  None?  So what's the point of buying bak kwa and pineapple tarts?

I had been saying for the longest time, that even if we don't have real time population census figures, we know something has changed simply by looking at the food scene.  The emergence of mala stalls which outnumber yong tau foo stalls and char kway teow stalls combined is very telling.  This will translate to lower bak kwa and pineapple tarts sales....just as they had resulted in schools and junior colleges closing down or being merged.

NO GD NEWS FOR PAP IF MORE N MORE PG PASSED AWAY
SO TO RETAIN THEIR VOTES WILL GIVE EACH PG $1600/**  YR FR 2023 ???
PAY MG $1500/**
[+] 1 user Likes talky's post

(19-01-2023, 04:31 PM)talky Wrote:  NO GD NEWS FOR PAP IF MORE N MORE PG PASSED AWAY
SO TO RETAIN THEIR VOTES WILL GIVE EACH PG $1600/**  YR FR 2023 ???
PAY MG $1500/**

The PGs were LKY supporters.  Of course there were those who supported Lee Siew Choh, JBJ etc...but they were a minority.  So year after year, LKY's PAP was retuned to be the the government.

LW needs to work on the yoomers and especially zoomers.  And to as much as extent, the new citizens who are mostly young (yoomer-zoomer age).

Xoomers are a mixed lot.  They are, IMO, the ones who have the biggest swing index.

those stay at Woodlands , Jurong , North side ones surely go JB buy .

CH 8 news got report , a lot Singaporeans go JB buying CNY snacks, goodies , even having Hair cut, do nail polish as usual.

No doubt price increase also but still cheaper than doing buying in SG.
[+] 2 users Like [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(19-01-2023, 05:46 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  those stay at Woodlands , Jurong , North side ones surely go JB buy .

CH 8 news got report , a lot Singaporeans go JB buying CNY snacks, goodies , even having Hair cut, do nail polish as usual.

No traffic jam ??
[+] 1 user Likes hansamu's post

(19-01-2023, 11:18 AM)Oyk Wrote:  Partially true but not the whole truth.

I like your view on this matter, is speaks volumes............... Clapping
[+] 2 users Like debono's post

(19-01-2023, 05:50 PM)hansamu Wrote:  No traffic jam ??

OF COURSE GOT , but still a lot Singaporean still go in spend money on CNY stuffs.
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(19-01-2023, 11:28 AM)starbugs Wrote:  I also see a mountain of CNY snacks sitting for sale in supermarkets. Don't see many people buying them. After CNY, sure a lot of leftover stocks.

Gone are the days when we were a young population.  Back then, we had two adults and five or six kids, all in their teenage or even childhood years.  The average age of this family skews toward "young" since it's five or six kids vs two adults.

Parents bought these for their chewren to eat, and also when people come visiting....five or six kids from the other family.

That is the Singapore many boomers in SgTalk yearn, miss, cry over.

Today, we are an aged population with 2 adults and one kid.  The average age skews towards "Old" with Two Old Adults vs One Grown Up Child like SgBuffet.  The boomers don't eat these because they have high blood pressure, diabetes, and what not.  They might buy for their grandchewren to eat when they come visiting but if their only son is still single and actually living with them, where are the grandchewren?  What visiting is there to talk about when their only son like SgBuffet is right there in the next room fapping?

So those stalls selling new year goodies no biz lor.  And FP and SS also jialat lar.

the truth.. many dont hv bonus despite what our gov say...
[+] 1 user Likes growthorvalue's post

(19-01-2023, 05:46 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  those stay at Woodlands , Jurong , North side ones surely go JB buy .

Millions of sing dollars has found its way to jb during this period. Thank you singapura for not doing anything about inflation and killing local businesses.
[+] 2 users Like pinkpanther's post

(19-01-2023, 05:58 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Gone are the days when we were a young population.  Back then, we had two adults and five or six kids, all in their teenage or even childhood years.  The average age of this family skews toward "young" since it's five or six kids vs two adults.

Parents bought these for their chewren to eat, and also when people come visiting....five or six kids from the other family.

Today, we are an aged population with 2 adults and one kid.  The average age skews towards "Old" with Two Old Adults vs One Grown Up Child like SgBuffet.  The boomers don't eat these because they have high blood pressure, diabetes, and what not.  They might buy for their grandchewren to eat when they come visiting but if their only son is still single and actually living with them, where are the grandchewren?  What visiting is there to talk about when their only son like SgBuffet is right there in the next room fapping?

So those stalls selling new year goodies no biz lor.  And FP and SS also jialat lar.

Due to society changes etc factors. U see CNY is just like Christmas , another PH that all.
Only difference , some relatives will visit one another. But usually relatives also come visit once in blue moon so nothing " special "
only special is take red packets like me Smile
[+] 2 users Like [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(19-01-2023, 05:58 PM)Oyk Wrote:  Gone are the days when we were a young population.  Back then, we had two adults and five or six kids, all in their teenage or even childhood years.  The average age of this family skews toward "young" since it's five or six kids vs two adults.

In FP and SS, the goodies (snacks)are displayed on it's shelf, but not many people are buying it, I wonder what they do to these when CNY is over................ Clapping
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

(19-01-2023, 06:04 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  Millions of sing dollars has found its way to jb during this period. Thank you singapura for not doing anything about inflation and killing local businesses.

but PAP will tell u , they earn lots of taxes from Foreigner labour taxes. Partly lots of Malaysian come in SG work due to strong SIN dollars lor.
[+] 1 user Likes [[ForeverAlone]]'s post

(19-01-2023, 06:08 PM)debono Wrote:  In FP and SS, the goodies are displayed on it's shelf, but not many people are buying it, I wonder what they do to these when CNY is over................ Clapping

Keep it, change the date of expiry and put it on the shelves same time next year
[+] 1 user Likes pinkpanther's post

(19-01-2023, 06:11 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  Keep it, change the date of expiry and put it on the shelves same time next year

Can the snacks last one calendar year....................? Rotfl

(19-01-2023, 06:07 PM)[[ForeverAlone]] Wrote:  Due to society changes etc factors. U see CNY is just like Christmas , another PH that all.
Only difference , some relatives will visit one another. But usually relatives also come visit once in blue moon so nothing " special "
only special is take red packets like me Smile

The CNY which PGs and to some extent, at least for part of their younger days, the MGs... the CNY that they had known had firecrackers all day long.  Ang pows were a miserable twenty cents or one dollar.  But that generation of chewren, now all boomers, all Merdeka, were heypi.

Today, ang pows are in multiples of ten bucks but the zoomers are not heypi.  They don't lack, they don't even need their mother or grandfather to buy pineapple tarts for them to eat, unlike the boomers who were poor and who looked forward to eating love letter which were made and gifted by their neighbour.  Today, their meals at restaurants cost upwards of $30-, and they settle it with their credit card without batting an eye, so what's $70 for bak kwa?  Peanuts.

Yet, they are unheypi.

Do you believe the zoomers are dying to eat love letters???? That's too cheap for them.  They might give the whole box to the maid to eat.

but News on CH 8 claim those " home bakery got a lot orders leh " .

again don't know is business owners telling fake info or mainstream news...

(19-01-2023, 06:16 PM)Oyk Wrote:  The CNY which PGs and to some extent, at least for part of their younger days, the MGs... the CNY that they had known had firecrackers all day long.  Ang pows were a miserable twenty cents or one dollar.  But that generation of chewren, now all boomers, all Merdeka, were heypi.

Today, ang pows are in multiples of ten bucks but the zoomers are not heypi.  They don't lack, they don't even need their mother or grandfather to buy pineapple tarts for them to eat, unlike the boomers who were poor and who looked forward to eating love letter which were made and gifted by their neighbour.  Today, their meals at restaurants cost upwards of $30-, and they settle it with their credit card without batting an eye, so what's $70 for bak kwa?  Peanuts.

Yet, they are unheypi.

Do you believe the zoomers are dying to eat love letters???? That' s too cheap for them.  They might give the whole box to the maid to eat.
This could be true.................... Clapping

(19-01-2023, 06:11 PM)pinkpanther Wrote:  Keep it, change the date of expiry and put it on the shelves same time next year

That is what they do with mooncakes in China.  Freeze it and bring it out to sell the next year.  As for CNY snacks, debbodh had replied so I will not repeat....

The young gen don't feel fancy eating what Bak kua , egg rolls etc CNY goodies rah. Partly they worry get fat or wait fall sick eat too much.

BUT Come nuts they do eat.

Why I know? Because I have boomer cousin those in early 20s , every time CNY come, I offer them CNY goodies they don't eat but come nuts they do eat but a bit only

even come drinks , i give them pack , they drink finish I ask them want to take go take somemore , they also never take.

Partly these stuffs normals days can eat perhaps they also eat during normal days so nothing special come CNY lor.

Worst you buy a lot end up no people eat , end up you eat all yourself , and fall sick , weight increase how?

This is why now a days people don't buy so much.

CNY snacks not encourage to eat too much. 
More people are health conscious. 
Anyway, we can get them at all times of the year.
When I was young, CNY eve always a count down event. 
Wait for that F&N(pop chui). Pop goes that glass of orange, drink until, brup.

(19-01-2023, 06:27 PM)Migrant Wrote:  CNY snacks not encourage to eat too much. 
More people are health conscious. 
Anyway, we can get them at all times of the year.
When I was young, CNY eve always a count down event. 
Wait for that F&N(pop chui). Pop goes that glass of orange, drink until, brup.

This is why I say social changes. Some will feel now we better off than last time.

Last time our parents days come CNY is indeed big day , Finally got whole chicken eat, a lot nice foods , snacks .
soft drinks also is Only CNY period than you will get to eat these and drink.

Normal days will not , just a simple meals.

Now yea these foods is like common, normal days you also can eat EVEN CHEAPER To buy where now as CNY coming near is Expensive.