Standard Chartered Bank late fee

First of all, anyone who felt S$200 is no big deal then this post won't be of any interest to you.

I’m not sure whether I’m the only unlucky Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) customer. SCB charged late fees that weren't my fault and refused to give waiver or offered any 'make-up action' in Oct 2021. As a customer, my banking rights and preference (as per Profile) weren't respected!

Oct 2021, my credit card was charged late fee for a small amount of $39.83 (SCB's late fee is almost 3 times of what I owed). I told SCB customer service (CS) over the phone and app email that I didn't get any sms alert or paper statement (learnt the shocking truth that SCB has disabled paper statement). SCB CS insisted waiver can't be made because "I've been notified thru email". CS highlighted I've been notified as per the bank's protocol. Insisted it was my fault (overlooked) for not reading the app notification or email. I kept telling CS I've indicated sms alert in my Profile, not email or thru app. CS simply refused to do a waiver, said SC's decision is final!

I checked my SCB alert Profile - subscription, it showed sms alert will be triggered for "payment due" but I didn't get any sms. If SCB doesn't intend to have sms alert, why show the option in the banking alert (subscription)? The feature was still showing as at 14 Dec 2021. Obviously, SCB doesn't feel it is wrong to put up something and then don't honour it! See images as proof.

In Oct, I overpaid. I did a SCB savings funds transfer to pay SCB outstanding credit card fee but CS said no payment was received, after more than 4 hours! DBS was much faster when I performed internal transfer, each transaction was instantly reflected. Technically speaking, with the extra money in SCB credit card, I shouldn’t worry…. but I was wrong!

Received a belated sms alert dated 14 Dec (Dec paper statement received on 17 Dec - mailed to me after my feedback to CS, showed due date was 8 Dec, long overdue). I have another outstanding amount owing!! SCB is trying to cheat my money for something not my fault again! Rang CS and shocked to learn from CS sms was actually disabled .... no SMS alert for 'payment due', timely sms alert for card swiped at merchants or amount charged for reoccurring bills. I happened to have an reoccurring bill in Nov and my ‘float’ was wiped out.

My goodness, how would you feel as a customer being cheated? No paper statement received, no pdf in my app or appearing in SCB online banking.

Cheated and I've to accept my losses silently? SCB was placing the blame on me ...my negligence? SCB failed to send me sms specified in my banking preference, didn't provide the basic service and trust. My SCB app and online banking showed pdf statement dated Oct but Nov and Dec 2021 were missing!

This time, the amount owe, according to CS was only $9. The fee I was fleeced (again) was many times more than the I owed. You mean there’re customers who can’t afford or purposely don’t pay amount that are less than S$40? All these fees could have been avoided if Standard Chartered Bank didn't abuse my trust.

I'm really disappointed and frustrated so I lodged a complaint to a [b]3rd party[/b]. SCB banking’s practice should be made known to existing and prospective customers, thus, you’re seeing this. What I’ve been thru may mean nothing to you. I had to fight really hard to retrieve money that belongs to me rightfully.

Gave SCB so many chances but still treating me like an ATM machine or someone with loads of money nowhere to ‘donate’. I certainly believe I've been very patient and given SCB enough time to fix its flaws.

Finally, I see daylight! Call it my Xmas blessing!
SCB rang saying they will look thru their system and will ‘refund’ me my $200 in the form of cashback.

I was looking at other credit card application and quite surprise to see this. There’s a bank stating this “Late fee S$100 (For outstanding balance above S$200)". This made me feel like I’m in safe hands and don’t have to suffer such agony again. Next year, I’ll be ending my relationship with SCB. Will be terminating my salary and savings account, as well as my seldom use credit card. I’ve been bitten not just once, I really don’t want to go thru again. Although I’m delighted to get back my money but I really have enough of these ‘technical glitch’ or human error.

Images
[+] 2 users Like 1unhappySCB's post

Not appropriate to charge such a high late fee, much higher that what is owed?

Stay clear of SCB

Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes Gstalk's post

(24-12-2021, 10:39 AM)1unhappySCB Wrote:  First of all, anyone who felt S$200 is no big deal then this post won't be of any interest to you.

I’m not sure whether I’m the only unlucky Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) customer. SCB charged late fees that weren't my fault and refused to give waiver or offered any 'make-up action' in Oct 2021. As a customer, my banking rights and preference (as per Profile) weren't respected!

Oct 2021, my credit card was charged late fee for a small amount of $39.83 (SCB's late fee is almost 3 times of what I owed). I told SCB customer service (CS) over the phone and app email that I didn't get any sms alert or paper statement (learnt the shocking truth that SCB has disabled paper statement). SCB CS insisted waiver can't be made because "I've been notified thru email". CS highlighted I've been notified as per the bank's protocol. Insisted it was my fault (overlooked) for not reading the app notification or email. I kept telling CS I've indicated sms alert in my Profile, not email or thru app. CS simply refused to do a waiver, said SC's decision is final!

I checked my SCB alert Profile - subscription, it showed sms alert will be triggered for "payment due" but I didn't get any sms. If SCB doesn't intend to have sms alert, why show the option in the banking alert (subscription)? The feature was still showing as at 14 Dec 2021. Obviously, SCB doesn't feel it is wrong to put up something and then don't honour it! See images as proof.

In Oct, I overpaid. I did a SCB savings funds transfer to pay SCB outstanding credit card fee but CS said no payment was received, after more than 4 hours! DBS was much faster when I performed internal transfer, each transaction was instantly reflected. Technically speaking, with the extra money in SCB credit card, I shouldn’t worry…. but I was wrong!

Received a belated sms alert dated 14 Dec (Dec paper statement received on 17 Dec - mailed to me after my feedback to CS, showed due date was 8 Dec, long overdue). I have another outstanding amount owing!! SCB is trying to cheat my money for something not my fault again! Rang CS and shocked to learn from CS sms was actually disabled .... no SMS alert for 'payment due', timely sms alert for card swiped at merchants or amount charged for reoccurring bills. I happened to have an reoccurring bill in Nov and my ‘float’ was wiped out.

My goodness, how would you feel as a customer being cheated? No paper statement received, no pdf in my app or appearing in SCB online banking.

Cheated and I've to accept my losses silently? SCB was placing the blame on me ...my negligence? SCB failed to send me sms specified in my banking preference, didn't provide the basic service and trust. My SCB app and online banking showed pdf statement dated Oct but Nov and Dec 2021 were missing!

This time, the amount owe, according to CS was only $9. The fee I was fleeced (again) was many times more than the I owed. You mean there’re customers who can’t afford or purposely don’t pay amount that are less than S$40? All these fees could have been avoided if Standard Chartered Bank didn't abuse my trust.

I'm really disappointed and frustrated so I lodged a complaint to a [b]3rd party[/b]. SCB banking’s practice should be made known to existing and prospective customers, thus, you’re seeing this. What I’ve been thru may mean nothing to you. I had to fight really hard to retrieve money that belongs to me rightfully.

Gave SCB so many chances but still treating me like an ATM machine or someone with loads of money nowhere to ‘donate’. I certainly believe I've been very patient and given SCB enough time to fix its flaws.

SCB rang saying they will look thru their system and will ‘refund’ me my $200 in the form of cashback.

I was looking at other credit card application and quite surprise to see this. There’s a bank stating this “Late fee S$100 (For outstanding balance above S$200)". This made me feel like I’m in safe hands and don’t have to suffer such agony again. Next year, I’ll be ending my relationship with SCB. Will be terminating my salary and savings account, as well as my seldom use credit card. I’ve been bitten not just once, I really don’t want to go thru again. Although I’m delighted to get back my money but I really have enough of these ‘technical glitch’ or human error.

Images

They are like that lah ..I prefer ocbc

Physical paper can see. Online, you never see, you will never know what happen. It is best that they deliver the statement by email.

(24-12-2021, 11:10 AM)theold Wrote:  Physical paper can see. Online, you never see, you will never know what happen.

Yes, I would also prefer paper statements, OCBC had obliged me with hard copy and soft copy of my credit card statements..... Laughing
[+] 1 user Likes debono's post

Just cancel the card and dont pay.

Smile

(24-12-2021, 11:10 AM)theold Wrote:  Physical paper can see. Online, you never see, you will never know what happen. It is best that they deliver the statement by email.
Most organisations are all doing away with paper bills without even you knowing it.

This is one way they can hoodwink customers without you even realising it. And in the event of any dispute, those giant entities always have the upper hand.

Let hard paper bills prevail !

(24-12-2021, 11:01 AM)EXBB Wrote:  They are like that lah ..I prefer ocbc

call
scb among the betterest bank

(24-12-2021, 10:39 AM)1unhappySCB Wrote:  First of all, anyone who felt S$200 is no big deal then this post won't be of any interest to you.

Images

yr problem so big

wtite so long
summarized
waste our time

i always rec'ed instant sms update from scb

Images

I think probably is your attitude. I always got my fee waiver off. Financial charge, annual fee or wrong transfer incurred additional charge. I have no problem with the banks. 
They will waive for me.

人家也是照章办事。

有求于人,最好还是低声下气。 Rotfl
这点智慧应该懂吧!

I called Asia best bank before during 1 of the week days at about 7pm. I waited for 25mins. I also never complain. They are helping me to solve my problem.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(24-12-2021, 11:01 AM)EXBB Wrote:  They are like that lah ..I prefer ocbc

OCBC worst.  They don't waived Annual Fee and late fees.  There decision is final.

most hv stopped paper statement, and some dun bother to alert via sms or email.

some even worse. the online statement shows nothing to pay, but there'll be late and financial charges next month.

its wasting time trying to explain to them. some ppl just pay, and some din even bother just pay everything with giro

the whole thing is all becAUSE you seldom use your credit card.

my scb got scam twice. some thugs stole my card no for online purchases. one more than 1k and the other 800 plus sgd.
scb took about 2 months to investigate. thereafter i never activate the replaced card.

scared already.

btw scb is now an aneh bank, majority staff are aneh.

not trying to be racist but different ethnic work differently aka diff work characteristic.

(24-12-2021, 12:43 PM)Bigbluedot Wrote:  the whole thing is all becAUSE you seldom use your credit card.

my scb got scam twice. some thugs  stole my card no for online purchases. one more than 1k and the other 800 plus sgd.
scb took about 2 months to investigate. thereafter i never activate the replaced card.

scared already. 

not trying to be racist but different ethnic work differently aka diff work characteristic.

My ex OCBC card even more jialat. Card already cancelled still can make purchase using the cancelled card. Bank called me they will handle it. This scammer waiting to get caught. Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Shd cancel and closed acct with SCB right away. No need to ponders. If banks want to hv long term relationships with customers, they shd not be so unethical in their practises.

(24-12-2021, 12:43 PM)Bigbluedot Wrote:  the whole thing is all becAUSE you seldom use your credit card.

my scb got scam twice. some thugs  stole my card no for online purchases. one more than 1k and the other 800 plus sgd.

scared already. 

My senior relationship manager and relationship officer both Singaporean chinese.

tomorrow will be a better day
[+] 1 user Likes surfer's post

(24-12-2021, 12:21 PM)Goldmine Wrote:  OCBC worst.  They don't waived Annual Fee and late fees.  There decision is final.

You can only have the annual fee waived if you spend more than 10,000 for the year.... Laughing

(24-12-2021, 12:21 PM)Goldmine Wrote:  OCBC worst.  They don't waived Annual Fee and late fees.  There decision is final.

Totally agreed. Have same issues with them.

(24-12-2021, 03:27 PM)surfer Wrote:  My senior relationship manager and relationship officer both Singaporean chinese.

policy makers are ceca.
senior relationship manager and relationship officer follow SOP.