SG: A proposed law will give the authorities new powers ...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p...s-measures

We may need to join another SGTalk soon.

I find it hilarious that void deck talks here can sway any national decisions.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

Conceptually right that no foreigners should be allowed to influence any country's politics and sovereignty.

Just be sure to spell out clearly what constitutes country and what is party bias.

I'm pro Singapore and Singaporeans. I'm apolitical. I just like to discuss on the policies and whether it make sense and right for our people. Doesn't matter which party rules. It certainly cannot be a case of expecting flawless opposition but allowing crappy ruling party errors and shortcomings. Remember the GE sagas?
[+] 1 user Likes Sticw's post

On the surface it is desirable for countries to guard against "foreign. Interference" but such laws allow authoritarian govt another venue to close down websites it does not like through onerous regulation like demanding identity of participants of the sites which may number in the thousands, demanding release of private information of people who post articles it does not like, and using information against domestic opponents.

Such laws are often abused by those in power to cement their control of  the people to attack those who provide alternative views.

The IMDA now demand TOC release all it's donor information under the guise of preventing "foreign in interference" but why should TOC be made to release names of local donors in the process? Once released the regime can potentially  now go after locals who oppose them. If they want to shutdown TOC shouldn't the proof of foreign interference come from authorities first. So now it can shutdown any site by imposing onerous rules, removing privacy of participants etc.

"Stopping foreign interference" throughout history is use by dictators as a pretext to limit the freedom of the citizens and go after own citizens who oppose the govt. A govt should take care of the people ...if the people are cared for an their needs are met, no foreign interference can have material impact on the people and election outcomes. There is no such regulations other countries which high human development index where the views of citizens are respected.

The military regimes of Thailand and Myanmar opposed and protested against by the citizens due to their incompetence claim iprotests are driven by  "foreign interference" when the real reason is people hated their rule....nothing to do with "foreign interference".

The main intention of such laws and rules is to shutdown websites that are critical of govt  ...little to do with foreign interference.
In Singapore the PAP has controlled  all mass media before the internet age to suppress alternative views....when there was no possiblity of foreign interference . They are implementing these laws as citizens are now using social media to express their disagreement with govt policies and the laws will make it easier for them to shutdown and limit the freedom of people to speak up....they have done so in the past and are doing so now. Nothing has changed.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Human law is biased? Thinking
It is ridiculous to say all ppl are bad ppl.
Instead of the the best thing for the ppl, they still protecting themselves first. How many more forums going to close down?
This is my 3rd forum already.
Are we really doing the right thing?
Sg already roting, no eyes to see.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Terry got reached his target?

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(13-09-2021, 08:45 PM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  We may need to join another SGTalk soon.

See you dare? Thinking
Make sure must be a plp forum.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"