Scripture readings for today

First reading
Acts 1:15-17,20-26 ©
'Let someone else take his office'
One day Peter stood up to speak to the brothers – there were about a hundred and twenty persons in the congregation: ‘Brothers, the passage of scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit, speaking through David, foretells the fate of Judas, who offered himself as a guide to the men who arrested Jesus – after having been one of our number and actually sharing this ministry of ours. Now in the Book of Psalms it says:
Let someone else take his office.
‘We must therefore choose someone who has been with us the whole time that the Lord Jesus was travelling round with us, someone who was with us right from the time when John was baptising until the day when he was taken up from us – and he can act with us as a witness to his resurrection.’
  Having nominated two candidates, Joseph known as Barsabbas, whose surname was Justus, and Matthias, they prayed, ‘Lord, you can read everyone’s heart; show us therefore which of these two you have chosen to take over this ministry and apostolate, which Judas abandoned to go to his proper place.’ They then drew lots for them, and as the lot fell to Matthias, he was listed as one of the twelve apostles.

Second reading 1 John 4:11-16 ©
Anyone who lives in love lives in God, and God lives in him
My dear people,
since God has loved us so much,
we too should love one another.
No one has ever seen God;
but as long as we love one another
God will live in us
and his love will be complete in us.
We can know that we are living in him
and he is living in us
because he lets us share his Spirit.
We ourselves saw and we testify
that the Father sent his Son
as saviour of the world.
If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God,
God lives in him, and he in God.
We ourselves have known and put our faith in
God’s love towards ourselves.
God is love
and anyone who lives in love lives in God,
and God lives in him.

Gospel John 17:11-19 ©
Father, keep those you have given me true to your name
Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said:
‘Holy Father,
keep those you have given me true to your name,
so that they may be one like us.
While I was with them,
I kept those you had given me true to your name.
I have watched over them
and not one is lost
except the one who chose to be lost,
and this was to fulfil the scriptures.
But now I am coming to you
and while still in the world I say these things
to share my joy with them to the full.
I passed your word on to them,
and the world hated them,
because they belong to the world
no more than I belong to the world.
I am not asking you to remove them from the world,
but to protect them from the evil one.
They do not belong to the world
any more than I belong to the world.
Consecrate them in the truth;
your word is truth.
As you sent me into the world,
I have sent them into the world,
and for their sake I consecrate myself
so that they too may be consecrated in truth.’
[+] 2 users Like luncheonmeat's post

That Aliman person took the bible and read without the whole 66 Books

Actually, he don't know the Bible repeats the same thing from The Torah, other prophets and also New Testament

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(12-05-2024, 05:10 PM)Ola Wrote:  That Aliman person took the bible and read without the whole 66 Books

Actually, he don't know the Bible repeats the same thing from The Torah, other prophets and also New Testament

LuncheonMeat's Bible has 73 books, not 66.

(12-05-2024, 05:26 PM)Ali Imran Wrote:  LuncheonMeat's Bible has 73 books, not 66.

Why got extra books leh? Thinking The canonised Holy Bible only has 66 books leh! Big Grin

(12-05-2024, 05:41 PM)cheekopekman Wrote:  Why got extra books leh? Thinking The canonised Holy Bible only has 66 books leh! Big Grin

If you go elsewhere, the Eastern Orthodox Christians have even more books in their Bible, more than 80 I think.

(12-05-2024, 05:44 PM)Ali Imran Wrote:  If you go elsewhere, the Eastern Orthodox Christians have even more books in their Bible, more than 80 I think.

I didn't know that leh, Ali! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes cheekopekman's post

bump for nite readers

(12-05-2024, 05:26 PM)Ali Imran Wrote:  LuncheonMeat's Bible has 73 books, not 66.

So, did you read all the 73  Books to get the whole picture from the different times and different perspectives??

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(12-05-2024, 07:49 PM)Ola Wrote:  So, did you read all the 73  Books to get the whole picture from the different times and different perspectives??

No, I did not read all 73 books. That is quite a task.

You cannot get the whole picture from the Bible. No denominations can say they have the whole picture.

Read all the books n heart  is bitter gossiper hatred greedy
Envy etc got use?

Do not talk to a fool for he will scorn  the wisdom of your words 
☝️

(13-05-2024, 09:03 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Read all the books n heart  is bitter gossiper hatred greedy
Envy etc got use?

Reading the Bible doesn't help to cure all those diseases of the heart?

(13-05-2024, 09:18 AM)Ali Imran Wrote:  Reading the Bible doesn't help to cure all those diseases of the heart?

Quran can meh
Still need your determination to change
Bible is of course need to read and change

☝️

(13-05-2024, 09:22 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Quran can meh
Still need your determination to change

The Bible should inspire you to be a good person and to keep a clean heart that doesn't harbor hatred and envy.

Many Christians I know get inspiration from Bible verses.

(13-05-2024, 09:27 AM)Ali Imran Wrote:  The Bible should inspire you to be a good person and to keep a clean heart that doesn't harbor hatred and envy.

Many Christians I know get inspiration from Bible verses.

If your heart is touched  by the Bible u can change

☝️

(13-05-2024, 09:31 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  If your heart is touched  by the Bible u can change

Cool.

(13-05-2024, 09:31 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  If your heart is touched  by the Bible u can change

Were you born into a Christian family or did you convert?

(12-05-2024, 08:04 PM)Ali Imran Wrote:  No, I did not read all 73 books. That is quite a task.

You cannot get the whole picture from the Bible. No denominations can say they have the whole picture.

Old Testament 39 books and New Testament 27 books lah, Ali! Big Grin I only know 66 canonised books in the Bible lah! You're right lah! It's not possible to understand the whole Bible lah!
[+] 2 users Like cheekopekman's post

(13-05-2024, 11:46 AM)Ali Imran Wrote:  Were you born into a Christian family or did you convert?

Not born Christian
I dreamt of Christ when I was a kid,his voice strong,echos slow..standing on the cloud with wide spread hands n white gown. Till now He is still showing me His existence.
I didn’t know what he is talking about not English.

Long story ..
Even saw flashing sword above roof top one nite tot was Govt showing us
till one day read the genesis chap 3..
I seldom want to tell most people won’t believe me they will mock.

☝️
[+] 1 user Likes Lukongsimi's post

(13-05-2024, 11:56 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Not born Christian
I dreamt of Christ when I was a kid,his voice strong,echos slow..standing on the cloud with wide spread hands n white gown. Till now He is still showing me His existence.

Long story ..

I won't mock you.

We call those personal anecdotes, meaning it is an experience only you can explain, and how you want to explain it is totally up to you. No one can say you didn't experience it.

(13-05-2024, 11:56 AM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Not born Christian

Long story ..

When I was about 11, I too dreamt of God and he was wearing a Chinese costume. I'm not kidding.

I can explain why I had that dream. I was watching a Chinese opera. In those days, Chinese opera was a common event.

(13-05-2024, 12:05 PM)Ali Imran Wrote:  When I was about 11, I too dreamt of God and he was wearing a Chinese costume. I'm not kidding.

I can explain why I had that dream. I was watching a Chinese opera. In those days, Chinese opera was a common event.
Prosperity God? U r kidding

☝️

(13-05-2024, 12:07 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Prosperity God? U r kidding

No, I am not kidding. 

I always thought of God when I was kid and one day, I had that dream, God came to me wearing that Chinese opera costume.

What do I think of that dream? Nothing. I only remember it coz I announced it at my mother's religious class and they all laughed.

(13-05-2024, 12:09 PM)Ali Imran Wrote:  No, I am not kidding. 

I always thought of God when I was kid and one day, I had that dream, God came to me wearing that Chinese opera costume.

What do I think of that dream? Nothing. I only remember it coz I announced it at my mother's religious class and they all laughed.

As I kid I never tot who is God, 
I tot me Chinese should pray Chinese god 
U Malay dreamt Chinese god u believable 
Maybe u make up story lah 
We know u like to lie..lol

☝️

(13-05-2024, 12:24 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  As I kid I never tot who is God, 
I tot me Chinese should pray Chinese god 
U Malay dreamt Chinese god u believable 
Maybe u make up story lah 
We know u like to lie..lol

I have never lied in my postings here. You don't like what I have to say about Christianity and because of that, you call it a lie without proving to anyone here that it is a lie.

I know what triggered my dream. I was watching a Chinese opera in my neighborhood. You shared your childhood story and I reciprocated by telling you mine.

(13-05-2024, 12:33 PM)Ali Imran Wrote:  I have never lied in my postings here. You don't like what I have to say about Christianity and because of that, you call it a lie without proving to anyone here that it is a lie.

I know what triggered my dream. I was watching a Chinese opera in my neighborhood. You shared your childhood story and I reciprocated by telling you mine.

Ok that make sense
Did the Chinese costume guy spoke to u?

☝️

(13-05-2024, 12:36 PM)Lukongsimi Wrote:  Ok that make sense
Did the Chinese costume guy spoke to u?

I don't remember that. Probably did but I cannot remember.