Sim Wong Hoo story is truly inspirational....

Poly grad who worked on an invention and through blood and sweat created a company that lasted 35yrs employing many Singaporeans. Yes some say the company has declined last 2 decades but look at the countless tech companies that have vanished - Gateway, Kodak, Polaroid, etc  Creative survived the hard times.

Sim Wong Hoo was snubbed when he took the idea to elites working at EDB who laughed  at his idea of adding sound to a PC. It was by chance when he was flying to US he sat next to  an American VC (Sequoia) who could see the great potential of his product to give him a few million in investments that changed everything. It tells us the judgement of our elites in the establishment can be highly flawed and if not for the determination  of Sim and the foresight of others, Creative Tech would never have existed. 

The importance of Creative is that it inspired many others in Singapore to try and some have succeeded. And during the last few decades it shows the inefficiency  of govt when they involved themselves in developing technology. Govt achieves very little using alot of money while people like Sim achieved a lot using very little resources through sheer determination. 

Sim and Creative 's success holds many important lessons for us going into the future. We cannot depend on the judgement of our elites if we want to do well. We have to be driven by our own determination and appetite for risk . Today this word "disruptor" is used so liberally but Sim indeed was a disruptor and his accomplishment  came not just from breakthrough technology but disrupting the Singapore system...a system that penalises risk taking and over rewards those who take the safe path of scholarship and a steady climb up the govt ladder. 

To close I will leave you with this story told by Sim Wong Hoo himself about his first exhibition in 1989 at CES for his first sound card  Micheal Jackson went to that CES and quickly skip through most of the exhibits but when he got to the Creative booth he stopped there for half an hour talking to Sim Wong Hoo. At that time Jackson could see the importance of putting high quality sound onto a PCs which could only produced beeps at that time.  Indeed a knowing what js important in the future is they key to doing something valuable in our life.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 2 users Like sgbuffett's post

(06-01-2023, 01:27 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Poly grad who worked on an invention and through blood and sweat created a company that lasted 35yrs employing may Singaporeans. Yes some say the company has declined last 2 decades but look at the countless tech companies that have vanished - Gateway, Kodak, Polaroid, etc  Creative survived the hard times.

Sim Wong Hoo was snubbed when he took the idea to elites working at EDB who laughed  at his idea of adding sound to a PC. It was by chance when he was flying to US when an American VC (Sequoia) could see the great potential of his priloudct to give him a few million in investments that changed everything. It tells us the judgement of our elites in the establishment can be highly flawed and if not for the determination  of Sim and the foresight of others, Creative Tech would never have existed. 

The importance of Creative is that it inspired many others in Singapore to try and some have succeeded. And during the last few decades it shows the inefficiency  of govt when they involved themselves in developing technology. Govt achieves very little using alot of money while people like Sim achieved a lot using very little resources through sheer determination. 

Sim and Creative 's success holds many important lessons for us going into the future. We cannot depend on the judgement of our elites if we want to do well. We have to be driven by our own determination and appetite for risk . Today this word "disruptor" is used so liberally but Sim indeed was a disruptor and his accomplishment  came not just from breakthrough technology but disrupting the Singapore system...a system that penalises risk taking and over rewards those who take the safe path of scholarship and a steady climb up the govt ladder. 

To close I will leave you with this story told by Sim Wong Hoo himself about his first exhibition in 1989 at CES for his first sound card  Micheal Jackson went to that CES and quickly skip through most of the exhibits but when he got to the Creative booth he stopped there for half an hour talking to Sim Wong Hoo. At that time Jackson could see the importance of putting high quality sound onto a PCs which could only produced beeps at that time.  Indeed a knowing what js important in the future is they key to doing something valuable in our life.
Clapping Thumbsup

Pave the way for every skool is a good skool mantra? Laughing

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(06-01-2023, 01:27 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Poly grad who worked on an invention and through blood and sweat created a company that lasted 35yrs employing many Singaporeans. Yes some say the company has declined last 2 decades but look at the countless tech companies that have vanished - Gateway, Kodak, Polaroid, etc  Creative survived the hard times.

Sim Wong Hoo was snubbed when he took the idea to elites working at EDB who laughed  at his idea of adding sound to a PC. It was by chance when he was flying to US he sat next to  an American VC (Sequoia) who could see the great potential of his priloudct to give him a few million in investments that changed everything. It tells us the judgement of our elites in the establishment can be highly flawed and if not for the determination  of Sim and the foresight of others, Creative Tech would never have existed. 

C'mon lah SgBluffett, dun use word like disruptor like you know what it means

Creative was NEVER a disruptor

It was just an innovator!

FYI , he don't like his Poly lecturer. I heard.

More on he self learn , for himself more.

In fact lecturer in poly are teaching " The so call basic stuffs " They don't even know what happen current , the trend etc.
Even so call attend short course , is not justify they do know a lot either.

(06-01-2023, 03:52 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  C'mon lah SgBluffett, dun use word like disruptor like you know what it means

Creative was NEVER a disruptor

It was just an innovator!

Putting sound onto PCs without sound is a disruption that paved the way for MP3 ...Spotify and beyond. Before that PC was almost mute.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(06-01-2023, 01:27 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Poly grad who worked on an invention and through blood and sweat created a company that lasted 35yrs employing many Singaporeans. Yes some say the company has declined last 2 decades but look at the countless tech companies that have vanished - Gateway, Kodak, Polaroid, etc  Creative survived the hard times.

Sim Wong Hoo was snubbed when he took the idea to elites working at EDB who laughed  at his idea of adding sound to a PC. It was by chance when he was flying to US he sat next to  an American VC (Sequoia) who could see the great potential of his priloudct to give him a few million in investments that changed everything. It tells us the judgement of our elites in the establishment can be highly flawed and if not for the determination  of Sim and the foresight of others, Creative Tech would never have existed. 

you are fooled by him

you forgot about the other 2 creative founders.

after the 2 left creative, the company went downhill.

the credits for the successful soundblaster actually goes to the formal CTO.  but he claimed all the credits.

(06-01-2023, 04:23 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Putting sound onto PCs without sound is a disruption that paved the way for MP3 ...Spotify and beyond. Before that PC was almost mute.

So how is this a disruptor?

Please, learn your semantics

It is called Creative Tech, not Disruptive Tech, for fark sake

(06-01-2023, 05:03 PM)Sentinel Wrote:  So how is this a disruptor?

Please, learn your semantics

It is called Creative Tech, not Disruptive Tech, for fark sake

[Image: qaPYWIO.jpg]

(06-01-2023, 08:17 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  [Image: qaPYWIO.jpg]

So you expect ChatGPT to give you definitive answers, is it?

TS is a super pagan. He has many idols Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(06-01-2023, 04:43 PM)drgn Wrote:  you are fooled by him

the credits for the successful soundblaster actually goes to the formal CTO.  but he claimed all the credits.

You cant say in this manner.
They shd have some kind of consensus among themselves which you may not know.

Just like Liu Bang was a hooligan, how could he able to lead a group of elites following him. They must be something which we didn’t know, made him a leader. My guess is as good as your guess.

有些皇帝江山打下来了,就不需要他的开国功臣了,你懂为什么吗?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(07-01-2023, 12:49 AM)Sentinel Wrote:  So you expect ChatGPT to give you definitive answers, is it?

It's an answer to your remark about semantics..

Ya, I remembered him for sound card innovation during 80s,,, buying sound card must be creative brands.. a truth innovator.

(07-01-2023, 08:40 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  It's an answer to your remark about semantics..

If it was semantics, then you explain the difference between creative and disruptive

You are just acting stewpig to avoid the takedown

(07-01-2023, 08:42 AM)FangFang Wrote:  Ya, I remembered him for sound card innovation during 80s,,, buying sound card must be creative brands.. a truth innovator.

Mr Sm Wong Hoo is indeed a true innovator/inventor.......... Clapping

True, he is perhaps only two Sporeans that innovate in tech sector,
another is inventor of the thumb drive and Trek's CEO, Henn Tan.
Later decline much quicker as with less product.
[+] 1 user Likes watchfirst9's post

(07-01-2023, 07:46 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  You cant say in this manner.
They shd have some kind of consensus among themselves which you may not know.

Just like Liu Bang was a hooligan, how could he able to lead a group of elites following him. They must be something which we didn’t know, made him a leader. My guess is as good as your guess.

有些皇帝江山打下来了,就不需要他的开国功臣了,你懂为什么吗?

兔死狗烹,鸟尽弓藏.  Laughing

The old computers need a soundblaster card to produce music.  

But later on, the computer chips incorporated the sound system into the chip and sound cards become redundant. So, Creative went down.   

Unlike Huawei, it spends money to research into new products. It can survive even US gov took measures to hit it.  

Creative can only try to make speakers, etc accessories. It went downhill.  

(06-01-2023, 04:43 PM)drgn Wrote:  you are fooled by him

Not fair to say that he 'claimed all the credits'. Rather, we can say that the credits were attributed to him only.

(07-01-2023, 12:32 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Not fair to say that he 'claimed all the credits'. Rather, we can say that the credits were attributed to him only.

I think it's like this ...

Only Sim can play tye role he did ...though the other Co founders were good engineers, they could not fill the gap if Sim was not there.

It's like Apple....obviously Steve Jobs was not the only founder but he is key and successful Apple is associated with him.

(07-01-2023, 12:49 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  I think it's like this ...

Only Sim can play tye role he did ...though the other Co founders were good engineers, they could not fill the gap if Sim was not there.

It's like Apple....obviously Steve Jobs was not the only founder but he is key and successful Apple is associated with him.

this explain why creative cannot come out with good product after the departure of the 2 founders.  started to go downhill in 90s.

https://article.vaacase.com/doc_ekpFVmNE...xy8eGqvKeA

happened to read this on fb