Cop gets jail for using bro's info to unlawfully apply for credit cards and bank loan

Shaffiq Alkhatib
Court Correspondent
PUBLISHED NOV 23, 2021, 6:42 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - Faced with financial difficulties after his wife had an emergency caesarean section to give birth to their baby, a policeman used his brother's name to unlawfully apply for credit cards and a bank loan to repay his debt.

One of the banks later spotted the forgery and alerted the police. As a result, officers from the Commercial Affairs Department started looking for Muhammad Aqib Mohammad Akhtar's innocent brother.

Aqib, who found out what happened, then deleted several incriminating documents from his mobile phone.

The police later interviewed him and managed to recover the deleted documents from the device via forensic extraction.

The 31-year-old Singaporean was on Tuesday (Nov 23) sentenced to 20 weeks' jail after he pleaded guilty to one count each of forgery and obstructing the course of justice.

More at: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/c...for-credit

Quote:Faced with financial difficulties after his wife had an emergency caesarean section to give birth to their baby, a policeman used his brother's name to unlawfully apply for credit cards and a bank loan to repay his debt

Medical debt case.
Sorry for him as he must have felt very high stress from medical expenses.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(24-11-2021, 01:38 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Medical debt case.
Sorry for him as he must have felt very high stress from medical expenses.

Blame our expensive and unaffordable medical care.

Better to die than be hospitalised.

(24-11-2021, 04:38 PM)SGSeniorCitizen1952 Wrote:  Blame our expensive and unaffordable medical care.

Better to die than be hospitalised.

It sure is expensive for medical services here... crying