Singapore 'cannot afford to outbid the big boys' to attract investments : DPM Wong

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...ng-3456271
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

why Singapore can afford to outbid the big boys to pay $millions to govt ministers ?
[+] 6 users Like forum456's post

" . . .cannot afford to outbid . . . "?

But Ho Ching said Temasek can afford to be contrarian, leh

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 2 users Like Ola's post

But can provide lower 2% corp tax

Over donkey years, Setup regional HQ for 1470 Oz companies tax avoidance and they paying no taxes to ATO
[+] 1 user Likes Scythian's post

not true
Singapore is above inDia in buying Russian oil
[+] 1 user Likes singlon's post

Quote:“We won’t have enough money to match the competition but what we must have enough of are ingenuity and innovation, guts and gumption,” he said, addressing 1,400 labour movement leaders, workers and tripartite partners at the NTUC May Day Rally.

We got ingenuity and innovation meh? 

They definitely got a lot of guts and gumption to pay themselves so much despite not doing much.
[+] 3 users Like Blasterlord2's post

If only everyone can have jobs and terms like theirs. Up the pay to ref top professionals. Then pass off the goals as not attainable cos there are other big boys around. Then tell you your future is secured if PAP remains in power. Then tell you retirement is a dirty word cos singaporeans love to work till they die and hate to retire..

Wonderful..
[+] 1 user Likes Sticw's post

But continuously over 14 years 2001-2014, Keppel KOM outbid Mitsubishi, Samsung and China gas and oil in building Brazil oil rigs.

Clapping

LW is not entirely wrong. One example is Disneyland. HK bent over backwards to attract Disney. It was a blessing we were outbidded.

I say again and looks like I need to repeat numerous times on this forum for those DFs like Debono the infantile peabrain, etc.....

Sinkiepoor is finished!

We outbid the whole world in this.

[Image: Singapore-Politicians-Salary-1.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alice Alicia's post

Not wrong, unless someone want to gst to raise
further.

Very foolish remark? Rotfl
厉害就好,不要假厉害。

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(03-05-2023, 12:17 AM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  We outbid the whole world in this.

It would have been so funny if it wasn’t true Sad

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(03-05-2023, 12:17 AM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  We outbid the whole world in this.

Need to divide by the total population to get more precise figure. Rotfl
Ah Xi will be super underpay.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(02-05-2023, 08:07 PM)starbugs Wrote:  LW is not entirely wrong. One example is Disneyland. HK bent over backwards to attract Disney. It was a blessing we were outbidded.

But failure in HK does not mean it'll fail here.

(01-05-2023, 06:55 PM)forum456 Wrote:  why Singapore can afford to outbid the big boys to pay $millions to govt ministers ?

麻雀虽小,五脏俱全。

Don't think running a country with no natural resources, a declined population such that we now even lack enough local talents and have to import FTs, is easy.

While many peepur worship amdk, seeing them as a traditional fixture of "expats", bringing such peepur over from the US or Europe will cost a bomb.  When their own MNCs left for Asia because of their high wage costs, and confrontational work ethos (go on strike as soon as they are not happy about anything), you can forget about becoming an investment magnet if you bring too many angmoh FW (FW not FT) over.

PAP did the right thing to import both FT and FW from third world countries because this is how we attract FDI....lower waged FT and FW...., and do not forget, we are competing with China and Vietnam and even Indonesia and Malaysia for the same pie.

I know some peepur do not feel comfortable or simply hate the idea.  There are many reasons:

1.  Racism.  This is the reason for the online noise over CECA.

2.  Antiquated biases and prejudices.  Pinays were traditionally our source of maids.  Today many of them hold PMET jobs.  Many peepur still see them as maids and cannot accept that they could be professionals, which is made worse by the fact that some sinkies work as GRAB food deliverymen and have to deliver food to the "maid" upon her order!

3.  Pinkerton Syndrome.  Some peepur just squirm if they see an Asian face instead of a Caucasian one in a high position.  It triggers noise.

4.  Political.  Many of the 39% know all of what I wrote, but they play up the "Jobs for FTs, GRAB for sinkies" to stoke anger and negative emotions among the gullible and less smart mortals.  

(03-05-2023, 09:48 AM)Oyk Wrote:  麻雀虽小,五脏俱全。

Don't think running a country with no natural resources, a declined population such that we now even lack enough local talents and have to import FTs, is easy.

While many peepur worship amdk, seeing them as a traditional fixture of "expats", binging such peepir over from the US or Europe will cost a bomb.  When their own MNCs left for Asia because of their high wage costs, and confrontational work ethos (go on strike as soon as they are not happy about anything), you can forget about becoming an investment magnet if you bring too many angmoh FW (FW not FT) over.

PAP did the right thing to import both FT and FW from third world countries because this is how we attract FDI....lower waged FT and FW...., and do not forget, we are competing with China and Vietnam and even Indonesia and Malaysia for the same pie.

I know some peepur do not feel comfortable or simply hate the idea.  There are many reasons:

1.  Racism.  This is the reason for the online noise over CECA.

2.  Antiquated biases and prejudices.  Pinays were traditionally our source of maids.  Today many of them hold PMET jobs.  Many peepur still see them as maids and cannot accept that they could be professionals, which is made worse by the fact that some sinkies work as GRAB food deliverymen and have to deliver food to the "maid" upon her order!

3.  Pinkerton Syndrome.  Some peepur just squirm if they see an Asian face instead of a Caucasian one in a high position.  It triggers noise.

4.  Political.  Many of the 39% know all of what I wrote, but they play up the "Jobs for FTs, GRAB for sinkies" to stoke anger and negative emotions among the gullible and less smart mortals.  

Peepur worship MONEY.

The West is seen to be rich, so by association, all angmohs are worshipped even if he comes from a poor Eastern European country. A poor ang moh from Eastern Europe must be laughing inside, how easy he can get to piakl a Singaporean chabor while the local men have to buy her branded stuff, and maybe, just maybe, get to hold her hand.  What heavenly thrill!

Meanwhile, if you come from India, the Philippines, or Myanmar, you are from a poor country.  Remember:  peepur worship money not poverty.

Therefore, you have no business to be sitting inside a room while a sinkie is sitting outside together with many others in the general office. Get back to your impoverished country!

Jealousy.

The sense of "I am a  Singaporean!  Your job is mine!"

Singapore did well because it had and still has a better government than other countries which didn't do well.

We have PAP.

We didn't do well because as a peepur, we are superior.  Not by a long shot man. I do not say this for the sake of making a baseless claim to support my argument.  I do not believe in kaki kong kai song.

I work with peepur from India, China, Vietnam, Myanmar, and yes, the Philippines where maids used to come from.  And of course with Malaysians, our traditional source of FTs and FWs.  And with Singaporeans.

Are my Singaporean colleagues the best of the best?  Very hardworking, very productive?  No man.  I am not saying that they are lazy, but to say they are better than a foreigner is a lie.

The thing which makes Singapore better than elsewhere is the government.  Rolleyes

Simi outbid. Only in their own world the bidding of public contracts can they outbid but in the real world cannot?

nonsense
intel has been invested in penang for many yrs  n still increse investment there
malaysia also bod for more investment to entince intel ??????

(01-05-2023, 07:18 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  We got ingenuity and innovation meh? 

They definitely got a lot of guts and gumption to pay themselves so much despite not doing much.

They need to work harder to think of rape stories to entertain the 39%.  Rolleyes

(03-05-2023, 10:29 AM)red3 Wrote:  Simi outbid. Only in their own world the bidding of public contracts can they outbid but in the real world cannot?

Let's look back not too far in economic histroy.

When China opened up, we already could not outbid the Chinese when it came to how much we can charge for wages.

A Singaporeans worker back in the 1980s asked for $500 a month.  A Chinese worker asked for USD1 a day.  One dollar a day!

You do the conversion and the math.

Can outbid the Chinese?

you add up HK,USA,MAS,CHAI-NA
their total sum cannot even cannot match SG

collect world highest paycheck
but tell us cannot this cannot that

GO JOIN GEORGE YEO LAH!
at least George Yeo become CEO and bought some investment back

those overpaid minister tell us cannot this cannot that better leave SG politics and join George Yeo

(01-05-2023, 06:55 PM)forum456 Wrote:  why Singapore can afford to outbid the big boys to pay $millions to govt ministers ?

That is the million dollar question Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(01-05-2023, 06:54 PM)forum456 Wrote:  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...ng-3456271

Why must always play with big boys leh?  Thinking