Dr Wealth : REITs are crashing....should you buy?

He posted the video 3 weeks ago. Since then the falls have accelerated. ...i have been looking at these to see if anything good and when to buy.

In addition to what he said there are many serious problems with reits.

1. Last few yrs Reits became a popular Investment in Singapore. Many large property companies took advantage of investors package their assets into reits to sell in Singapore.

2. I have written in the past on a whole host of problems with these reits listings including inaccurate valuations of assets and vulnerable  financing structures. Basically the regulation is lax and must of it js left to the companies. 

3. Some of the interests of the sponsor are misaligned with reits shareholders .. they were using the reits to raise money to dump off assets from their development arm. Reits investors can easily end up bag holders.

4. Studying reits listed in last 5yrs, tye worrying ones are the foreign ones that come all the way to Singapore to list  I uncovered a number of issues with their financial structure one of which I discussed here 

https://sgtalk.net/Thread-Serious-warnin...nts-BEWARE

5. Look for quality and management track record above everything else. DPU, discount to NAV etc are less jmportant because they mask many underlying problems.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

The SGX rule book said REIT shall comply with all the listing rules of equities except those not relevant to REIT.  See rule 404 of SGX rule,

http://rulebook.sgx.com/entiresection/4980

It is always known tt REIT performance is always bad whenever there is a speculation about a impending property  bubble or crisis.  The value of REIT can b greatly affected by the property market & the rental incomes affected by the economy.

(22-10-2022, 06:27 PM)teaserteam Wrote:  The SGX rule book said REIT shall comply with all the listing rules of equities except those not relevant to REIT.  See rule 404 of SGX rule,

http://rulebook.sgx.com/entiresection/4980

It is always known tt REIT performance is always bad whenever there is a speculation about a impending property  bubble or crisis.  The value of REIT can b greatly affected by the property market.

Not that there are no rules but the companies can comply and still have room to do things that destroy value.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

REITs are not popular in the US but are relevant only in land scare Singapore and maybe China.

(22-10-2022, 06:44 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Not that there are no rules but the companies can comply and still have room to do things that destroy value.

How can they destroy the value?  There r rules too on valuation of properties etc.  of course,  they can gang up with the property valuation agents to mark up or down their property values but that is a criminal offense. May b u can give examples

(22-10-2022, 06:49 PM)teaserteam Wrote:  How can they destroy the value?  There r rules too on valuation of properties etc.  of course,  they can gang up with the property valuation agents to mark up or down their property values but that is a criminal offense.
Destroy value through poor acquisitions.
Destroy value by packing reits with property of dubious quality.

(22-10-2022, 06:46 PM)theold Wrote:  REITs are not popular in the US but are relevant only in land scare Singapore and maybe China.

https://stockmarketmba.com/listofreits.php

(22-10-2022, 06:51 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Destroy value through poor acquisitions.
Destroy value by packing reits with property of dubious quality.

No different to any equity.  Equity companies can do the same.  Business deals. Investors must do home work

REITs started in the US very early. It ended later. The land in the US is big. Then it makes a comeback. Now, it is still the same.

(22-10-2022, 06:57 PM)teaserteam Wrote:  No different to any equity.  Equity companies can do the same.  Investors must do home work.
Yes that is true. Out of 10 stocks only one is investable.

However, reits are often seen as safe but they are often opaque and harder to assess