Singaporean Chew Shou Zi to focus as CEO of Tik Tok, step down from CFO of Bytedance

UPDATED NOV 2, 2021, 4:18 PM

BEIJING (REUTERS) - TikTok chief executive officer Chew Shou Zi will step down as its parent ByteDance’s chief financial officer (CFO) to focus on running the short video platform full time

Mr Chew, who is Singaporean, joined ByteDance as CFO in March and was appointed as TikTok CEO in May. He previously spent several years as CFO and international business president of Xiaomi Corp, where he took the gadget maker public in one of the largest-ever Chinese tech listings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-a...-on-tiktok

Normally it is already pre-determined that he will be the CEO.. Taking up the role of CFO is just a landing point for him to get familiar before promoting him..

Remember seeing something similar recently either at Singapore GLC or TM, where an external talent come in for 1 year and then take over the CEO spot.

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

That means he's ousted by someone in the parent company. Made to look good by saying focus on overseas company.

(03-11-2021, 09:27 AM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  That means he's ousted by someone in the parent company. Made to look good by saying focus on overseas company.

Don't be 小人 lah!

(03-11-2021, 10:03 AM)cityhantam Wrote:  Don't be 小人 lah!

This is my personal experience dealing with those in senior management of companies. Usually, the appointment at the parent company is of utmost importance while they got 'seconded' out to overseas assignments for exposure. 

The reason is that at the parent company they make decisions that affect all the operations of its subsidiaries, and what's more important is that they're privvy to why those decisions are made. 

Some more, in this particular case, he's made to drop one portfolio rather than gain another one so why is it not call an oust?