Some dental clinics making fortune from gov subsidy for old folks

1. My uncle is a Merdeka senior citizen. He called by phone a well-known dental firm with many branches in Singapore to quote for extraction or filling of a tooth. The clinic firm quoted $60 to $80 for a tooth. After the extraction, he got a bill of $172 with $99 from Merdeka subsidy and he has to pay $73 cash himself a job done within 20 minutes. I quess $73 is what is quoted for $60 to $80. $99 is what the clinic felt as a gift freely fallen from heaven, nothing to do with the patient.  

2. A few days later, my uncle then asked from another smaller firm with a few branches only for filling or extraction of another tooth. He was quoted $50 to $150 for a tooth through phone. But the dentist at the clinic found he had another tooth with a small hole to be filled also. After completion in about 30 minutes, he got a bill of only $175 for 2 teeth and he paid only $40 cash for 2 teeth.  

From the above, I concluded some firms are profiteering from the gov subsidies for Merdeka and Pioneer generations. When quoting, they should quote the full costs of the job or at least he has to tell the quotation is for cash portion only after gov subsidies.  

(04-02-2023, 01:55 PM)webinarian Wrote:  1. My uncle is a Merdeka senior citizen. He called by phone a well-known dental firm with many branches in Singapore to quote for extraction or filling of a tooth. The clinic firm quoted $60 to $80 for a tooth. After the extraction, he got a bill of $172 with $99 from Merdeka subsidy and he has to pay $73 cash himself a job done within 20 minutes. I quess $73 is what is quoted for $60 to $80. $99 is what the clinic felt as a gift freely fallen from heaven, nothing to do with the patient.  

2. A few days later, my uncle then asked from another smaller firm with a few branches only for filling or extraction of another tooth. He was quoted $50 to $150 for a tooth through phone. But the dentist at the clinic found he had another tooth with a small hole to be filled also. After completion in about 30 minutes, he got a bill of only $175 for 2 teeth and he paid only $40 cash for 2 teeth.  

From the above, I concluded some firms are profiteering from the gov subsidies for Merdeka and Pioneer generations. When quoting, they should quote the full costs of the job or at least he has to tell the quotation is for cash portion only after gov subsidies.  

If they want to profit, some things cannot say too clearly to your uncle up front la.  Laughing

Dental clinics have the upper hands. 
They can manipulate and manoeuvre the subsidies to suit themselves best.

It's never easy for the authorities to differentiate clearly the black ,brown or white hairs growing in the mouth.

Governmental dental experts certainly need to come out to address this intractable issue.

That's why our healthcare cost is so high. Gov should clamp down on this excessive profiteering otherwise no amount of rise of gst is enough, they'll just go towards the healthcare practitioners and they'll continue to raise prices.
[+] 2 users Like Blasterlord2's post

The dental profession is one of the darkest in SG. There is a lack of guidelines and transparency on pricing, so dentists can charge whatever they want. $20-30 charge for "consumables" and you only find out when you are about to pay. Next time I will visit a dentist in Thailand when I'm on holiday.
[+] 1 user Likes starbugs's post

(04-02-2023, 02:58 PM)starbugs Wrote:  The dental profession is one of the darkest in SG. There is a lack of guidelines and transparency on pricing, so dentists can charge whatever they want. $20-30 charge for "consumables" and you only find out when you are about to pay. Next time I will visit a dentist in Thailand when I'm on holiday.

$20-$30 for consumable? Like plastic cup and 1 or 2 sheets of tissue paper?

No kidding

Next time can bring my own plastic cup and tissue paper?

Of course la now then u know..

My dentist just upgrade to a landed.

(04-02-2023, 03:05 PM)Sharexchange Wrote:  Of course la now then u know..

My dentist just upgrade to a landed.

So dentists makes a fortune in order to buy a landed property............ Big Grin

(04-02-2023, 04:11 PM)debono Wrote:  So dentists makes a fortune in order to buy a landed property............ Big Grin

Dentist is so ex in Spore compared to Msia and this have been going on for years. Alot of JHK JHB in EP all go back Msia do their teeth seldom in Spore becuz for same kind of work the pricing difference a lot if we remove the currency conversion aspect

CHAS card also fatten doctors pockets

Been several years that this system benefits doctors

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

A glaring loop hole to make the rich richer...and eventually richest..