StarHub first-half profit falls 10.3% to $60.9m despite 8.7% higher revenue

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/co...er-revenue

Don't buy Telco stocks.
You buy a property it keeps earnjng rent with incremental upkeep.

Telcos have high capital expenditure and have to replace their system every 15yrs-20yrs

All telcos have negative cashflow and are in a trap and cannot get out. I hear of analysts recommending SingTel throughout last 20yrs. Just look at how the stock performed for 20yrs.

There are basically only 2 types of stocks one that create value and one that destroy value. You only invest in the first type...among those in the first type you ask how consistently they create value....you sift out gems like Hour Glass, Seng Siong, Multi Chem.

Many reits now are superior to Telcos. Property have a locality advantage, once built they have low maintenance and collect a stream of rent....Telcos are in a price war, they need to constantly spend to replace equipment, anyone can take anybody customers.

A 100G plan has dropped to $10 a month. Such a plan cost more than $100 8 yrs ago

Office rent on the other hand rose something like 100+% in last 12yrs.

So it's clear which is the better investment if they have the same snapshot of earnings yield ....etc.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

(06-08-2022, 08:08 AM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Don't buy Telco stocks.
You buy a property it keeps earnjng rent with incremental upkeep.

Telcos have high capital expenditure and have to replace their system every 15yrs-20yrs

All telcos have negative cashflow and are in a trap and cannot get out. I hear of analysts recommending SingTel throughout last 20yrs. Just look at how the stock performed for 20yrs.

There are basically only 2 types of stocks one that create value and one that destroy value. You only invest in the first type...among those in the first type you ask how consistently they create value....you sift out gems like Hour Glass, Seng Siong,  Multi Chem.

Many reits now are superior to Telcos. Property have a locality advantage, once built they have low maintenance and collect a stream of rent....Telcos are in a price war, they need to constantly spend to replace equipment, anyone can take anybody customers.

A 100G plan has dropped to $10 a month. Such a plan cost more than $100 8 yrs ago

Office rent on the other hand rose something like 100+% in last 12yrs.

So it's clear which is the better investment if they have the same snapshot of earnings yield ....etc.

In Singapore there are too many telcos and too little population. Otherwise Telco is a good investment.