Straits Times : STTA has to import foreigners if they want medals

Clapping Clapping
https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/analy...ic-success

Yeah, table tennis is a unique sport. So many countries import from China for table tennis players all these decades.

r u kidding?
then ft turned citizen win gold for fcuk?

no wonder sg is importing almost everything!

i really dontknowhatosay!
wait till i cool down first then i'll write..^&%#^
[+] 1 user Likes menghuii's post

Most of the countries even Americans are doing this....why not? Globalisation...

疫苗可以不打, 手枪一定要打!
疫苗可以不注射, 精子一定要远射!

(04-08-2021, 08:07 AM)menghuii Wrote:  r u kidding?
then ft turned citizen win gold for fcuk?

no wonder sg is importing almost everything!

i really dontknowhatosay!
wait till i cool down first then i'll write..^&%#^

As long as it is counted towards our number we should celebrate and be happy.

Singapore table tennis contingent consists of so many foreign imports and yet they dont win anything. Waste time and money. What is so appealing abt table tennis? Just import one solid javelin or disc thrower if their main priority is medals.
[+] 2 users Like pinkpanther's post

(04-08-2021, 08:23 AM)ODA TETSURO Wrote:  Most of the countries even Americans are doing this....why not? Globalisation...

(04-08-2021, 08:23 AM)BigBossX Wrote:  As long as it is counted towards our number we should celebrate and be happy.

i wldnt argue with that
but honestly i am unable to feel the euphoria even in a win.

(04-08-2021, 07:26 AM)BigBossX Wrote:  Clapping Clapping

100% agreed with STTA. We should continue to recruit foreign talent for Olympic success and to nurture our own home grown paddlers. Without these Foreign Talents players, table tennis would soon fade away as we wld not even qualify for prestigious International matches. We need to have these foreign talent play and train alongside our own pool of local players to nurture them to Intl Std and keep the sport alive.
FengTW, YuMY, LinYe has done well to reach the Qtr Final stage. Unfortunately , they have to meet the undisputed Table Tennis Champion China in the Qtr Final.
Their loss is expected.  For the sport to grow we have to continue to import such talent.

(04-08-2021, 07:26 AM)BigBossX Wrote:  Clapping Clapping

I see so many teams that looks like China B, China C, China D, etc teams playing.

Those that cannot make the China A team will move elsewhere to be China B, C, D etc teams

Great job China
[+] 2 users Like Stoki's post

Perhaps can try get some sport talents from India via the CECA channel......... Rotfl

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Huliwang's post

Of course we'll need to get talents from overseas. How else would our small population win anything? And these talents can provide very good competition to our locals if they really aim to compete at a higher level.

Where is the honor by buying success?
Just one a step below cheating

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post

Dun waste resources trying to buy medals. Iz meaningless and tragic. Why Sinpwneans dun feel pride when our sons and daughters medal in paraolympics?

Why sports council dun channel resources into arenas where we have been able to excel/show results-- swimming, bowling, sepak takraw etc.

Table-tennis , badminton all dominated by tiongkok, japan, bolehland, indon. Pl be realistic. If we got talents in dis field, send them to train in those nations. No need to import b-group talent who cannot win unless got lucky draw.

Buying medals was an idea mooted by Genius Yeo and Woody. So was CECA. People who sarpot dis practice should have no problems with CECA.

What glory is there when they can’t even speak simple English and have to resort to mandarin? Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Didn’t Li jiawei high tail it back to China?  Our investment in her…. No payback?

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

(04-08-2021, 01:24 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Didn’t Li jiawei high tail it back to China?  Our investment in her…. No payback?

Bo pian.  Husband Chinaman  have to follow husband.

(04-08-2021, 01:17 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  What glory is there when they can’t even speak simple English and have to resort to mandarin? Big Grin

Ok what. We are 75% Chinese. We understand Chinese.  We also have true blue Singaporean Chinese who don't speak and read Chinese. Rolleyes

(04-08-2021, 01:34 PM)Goldmine Wrote:  Ok what. We are 75% Chinese. We understand Chinese.  We also have true blue Singaporean Chinese who don't speak and read Chinese. Rolleyes

Yes, those are the babas and nonyas.  

Anyway I fail to see the benefit of bringing in such foreign talents.  No glory in getting folks from other nations to bat for us.

And more embarassing when foreign media interview them and they cannot answer in English.

(04-08-2021, 01:30 PM)Goldmine Wrote:  Bo pian.  Husband Chinaman  have to follow husband.

How much did STTA waste on her? Big Grin

(04-08-2021, 01:41 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  How much did STTA waste on her? Big Grin

STTA = Sino/SG Take Tiong Association?

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(04-08-2021, 02:18 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  STTA = Sino/SG Take Tiong Association?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Actually cannot say waste money. We pull up our rankings through them so that other talents will be attracted to coming.

Same like in the university. Ranking does not mean we're good but people will first look at rankings before deciding where they want to go.

(04-08-2021, 08:23 AM)ODA TETSURO Wrote:  Most of the countries even Americans are doing this....why not? Globalisation...

I think it is the other way round.. Countries sent their best athletes to US for training, just like JS... If the athlete with proven track record or potential decided to give their citizenship and take on US citizenship, then they represent US..

Our is different, we go China to identify/beg/borrow/steal potential candidates and pump in money to train them in Singapore, also beg they to take up citizenship (which most didn't)..

One is athlete willingly give up and take a new citizenship (US), one is beg athlete to take up citizenship (Singapore)..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

My take on this is not everything is like business world.. There are things that you can't buy via acquisition or merger. Things like sense of identity, sense of belonging etc..

Just asked ourselves, for Singapore imported sportsmen or sportswomen, how many eventually settled down in Singapore and continue to contribute to groom our next generation sportsmen/sportswomen after they retire from competitive sports?

If we just want to feel proud by having someone to win gold medal for us, I suggest govt do the following:

1) Stop all funding we give to any sports now and ask TH to chip in as well.. Pool all money (say 10 billions USD) and get Caeleb Dressel to give up US citizenship and take Singapore citizenship

2) To prevent dip in form like what happened to JS, sponsor Caeleb Dressel to continue to train in US.. He just need to wear the Singapore flag uniform when he represent Singapore in competitions.. Other than that, he can live, breathe like an American

But asked ourselves. Under this arrangement, even if Caeleb Dressel win 20 gold medals for us in next Olympics, do you feel proud at all?

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

Thanks to Syonan Times to keep spitting rubbish on our table tennis team over the years.

(04-08-2021, 01:41 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  Yes, those are the babas and nonyas.  

Anyway I fail to see the benefit of bringing in such foreign talents.  No glory in getting folks from other nations to bat for us.

And more embarassing when foreign media interview them and they cannot answer in English.

No embarrassment. They are not angmo but Chinese.  Naturally they speak Chinese. 
Those with Chinese face and Chinese surname but unable to speak Chinese when interviewed by angmo in Chinese should be more embarass than the Chinese who don't speak English. Rolleyes

(05-08-2021, 12:57 AM)Goldmine Wrote:  No embarrassment. They are not angmo but Chinese.  Naturally they speak Chinese. 
Those with Chinese face and Chinese surname but unable to speak Chinese when interviewed by angmo in Chinese should be more embarass than the Chinese who don't speak English. Rolleyes

Agree, if these table tennis players are in China. But have to totally disagree,  if these players are in Singapore. Since when is a Singaporean unable to converse in English (barring the PG folks). 

We are Singapore, not China   Tongue

Let’s not in our quest for medals think that everything can be bought with money and then call our own.

(04-08-2021, 06:41 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  My take on this is not everything is like business world.. There are things that you can't buy via acquisition or merger. Things like sense of identity, sense of belonging etc..

Just asked ourselves, for Singapore imported sportsmen or sportswomen, how many eventually settled down in Singapore and continue to contribute to groom our next generation sportsmen/sportswomen after they retire from competitive sports?

If we just want to feel proud by having someone to win gold medal for us, I suggest govt do the following:

1) Stop all funding we give to any sports now and ask TH to chip in as well.. Pool all money (say 10 billions USD) and get Caeleb Dressel to give up US citizenship and take Singapore citizenship

2) To prevent dip in form like what happened to JS, sponsor Caeleb Dressel to continue to train in US.. He just need to wear the Singapore flag uniform when he represent Singapore in competitions.. Other than that, he can live, breathe like an American

But asked ourselves. Under this arrangement, even if Caeleb Dressel win 20 gold medals for us in next Olympics, do you feel proud at all?

Agreed. Nothing to be proud of if Dressel wins for us.  Not everything can be bought with money.

(04-08-2021, 01:30 PM)Goldmine Wrote:  Bo pian.  Husband Chinaman  have to follow husband.

Yah, she spent about 9 months per year in China pre-pandemic. Husband and kid important lah. But kid follows her here when she was working here every 3 months of the year before COVID-19.

(05-08-2021, 06:16 AM)p1acebo Wrote:  Agree, if these table tennis players are in China. But have to totally disagree,  if these players are in Singapore. Since when is a Singaporean unable to converse in English (barring the PG folks). 

Lots lah. A lot of older folks like my mum cannot converse in English and it has been like this for decades. Things might be different 2-3 decades later though as her generation passed.