TKL aced the Presidential forum interview !

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...ns-3730266

Mr Tan, the 75-year-old former NTUC Income chief, said he would consider whether the use of the reserves is in the interests of the people, and whether it is a "proper" use of the money.

"For example, our biggest use of past reserves was during the COVID (pandemic). Large sums of money were set aside and there was some part of the money that went into banks that were making huge profits. And they were given a subsidy by the government. I consider that to be a not suitable use of the reserves," said Mr Tan.

"I think the President should have the ability to understand what is proper use and what is wrong use of the reserves. So I will certainly want to examine carefully. Is this good for the people? And is this the proper use of the reserves?"

[Image: tkl.jpg]

Wah...your fingernails very long and manicured...you are a modern man....
[+] 1 user Likes lylcnn's post

For a sec4 guy, that's very good already. Ppl like lksmlj and human goat, can't achieve even 1/1000 of his achievements
[+] 1 user Likes WhatDoYouThink!'s post

Dont be biased lah. Where got aced? Pass only

(29-08-2023, 10:11 AM)RichDad Wrote:  Dont be biased lah. Where got aced? Pass only

TKL is the only candidate who pointed that some reserves are not properly used during covid.

many companies and people had over claimed from the govt and the govt had to claw back from them.
many companies reported increase in earning due to govt wage subsidies.

Asking question is not asking the questions about the area of scope they are proficient at.

Need to ask difficult question which they are not good at?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(29-08-2023, 10:01 AM)forum456 Wrote:  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...ns-3730266

Mr Tan, the 75-year-old former NTUC Income chief, said he would consider whether the use of the reserves is in the interests of the people, and whether it is a "proper" use of the money.

"For example, our biggest use of past reserves was during the COVID (pandemic). Large sums of money were set aside and there was some part of the money that went into banks that were making huge profits. And they were given a subsidy by the government. I consider that to be a not suitable use of the reserves," said Mr Tan.

"I think the President should have the ability to understand what is proper use and what is wrong use of the reserves. So I will certainly want to examine carefully. Is this good for the people? And is this the proper use of the reserves?"

Well said by TKL. Money from the Reserves need to be use carefully especially for the bank that was making huge profit then.

(29-08-2023, 10:10 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  For a sec4 guy, that's very good already. Ppl like lksmlj and human goat, can't achieve even 1/1000 of his achievements

His English was considered very good at his time.
When schooling was still a big challenge for him.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(29-08-2023, 10:15 AM)forum456 Wrote:  TKL is the only candidate who pointed that some reserves are not properly used during covid.

many companies and people had over claimed from the govt and the govt had to claw back from them.

you need a President who can point out the mistakes of current govt.
this President will then be able to prevent misuse of reserves.

if the President keeps praising the govt and cannot see current mistakes.
this President is useless because he will need to wait 3 years to hear about the mistakes or scandals
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

(29-08-2023, 10:18 AM)Instinct Wrote:  Well said by TKL. Money from the Reserves need to be use carefully especially for the bank that was making huge profit then.

this govt is very funny.
when give money, the govt will give money to all rich and poor.

when the unemployed have no money and ask for money, the govt has no money to give ?

(29-08-2023, 10:19 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  His English was considered very good at his time.
When schooling was still a big challenge for him.

Top RI boy woh, not Top Reverse Indicator

Many big co ceo was laughing at our gov aid during Covid to aid them across the board, they said a better way is open the aid only for those in need to apply.

(29-08-2023, 10:43 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Top RI boy woh, not Top Reverse Indicator

Rotfl

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin

Speaking and writing well, being eloquent etc doesn’t mean anything when the heart is self centered, egoistical and hypocritical.

We all angmor English ish no goots but our hearts are beri tok kong and goods Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes p1acebo's post

(29-08-2023, 10:15 AM)forum456 Wrote:  TKL is the only candidate who pointed that some reserves are not properly used during covid.

Many people have used the skills future aimlessly and wrongly. The president have the authority to say what to spend or not
[+] 1 user Likes Stoki's post

(29-08-2023, 10:53 AM)Stoki Wrote:  Many people have used the skills future aimlessly and wrongly. The president have the authority to say what to spend or not

president can disapprove of using reserves if the usage is not in detailed.

if your supplier does not give breakdown of cost, you can disapprove the budget.
[+] 1 user Likes forum456's post

SIA benefitted the most until the company pay its CEO $7M bonus.
[+] 3 users Like K88 shu shu's post

(29-08-2023, 10:59 AM)forum456 Wrote:  president can disapprove of using reserves if the usage is not in detailed.

if your supplier does not give breakdown of cost, you can disapprove the budget.

That's what PAP and cronies are VERY AFRAID of!

Nobody can deny that those lucrative banks which have been earning huge profits should be entitled to Covid subsidies. This is certainly  a huge flaw which  TKL correctly pointed out .

No wonder Banks' Ceos are so well paid and well fed !

So all the record high profits making all the banks smiling ear to ear is because of COVID monies??!!

(29-08-2023, 10:43 AM)WhatDoYouThink! Wrote:  Top RI boy woh, not Top Reverse Indicator

2nd lah, but still good

Tan Kin Lian

I studied in Raffles Institution from 1961 to 1965. The school was located at Bras Basah Road.
I cannot remember much about my days in Raffles. I did well in my studies but was not the top student in the earlier years. I might have been the top in a subject or two in some years, but it was not outstanding.

Surprising, I did well in secondary 4 and was top in the school preliminary examination. In the final examination, conducted by Cambridge (predecessor to the GCE O level), I came second in Raffles. The top student was a Malay.

In that year, a few students from other schools did better than those from Raffles.
I left school to work as a clerk in an insurance company and to pursue the actuarial studies.
A few classmates remembered me more. One classmate told me that he saw my primary school report book when we were in secondary 1. I had full marks in several subjects in most years. He was intimidated by my result.

I had lost that report book. I wondered if that classmate threw it away! Most likely not.
I met my secondary 2 math teacher after 30 years. He recalled an incident that I had forgotten. He was explaining a problem to the class on the blackboard. He got stuck. I went up and helped me to explain the solution to the class.

A few years ago, I attended a reunion of my cohort in Raffles. I saw the school record of my results. My own report card had been lost.
I was surprised to see that I did rather poorly in some subjects in some years. I only scored good marks in some subjects.

Those were the old days. In recent years, many top students scored straight As during the years in secondary school. This was not the case during my time.
I preferred the old days when schooling was to learn something useful, and not to score As.

Tan Kin Lian

[Image: TKL4.jpg]

(29-08-2023, 10:19 AM)forum456 Wrote:  you need a President who can point out the mistakes of current govt.
this President will then be able to prevent misuse of reserves.

if the President keeps praising the govt and cannot see current mistakes.
this President is useless because he will need to wait 3 years to hear about the mistakes or scandals
A neutral President is utmost important in holding the 2nd key to Reserves. He shd not work with fear. And hv every right to question usage of Reserves which includes our CPF, and stop those unscrupulous investments. This concerns every Singaporeans.

I like TKL's can do attitude, but he won't fare well as President as it is too political and he is not a politician @heart. For dat reason, I believe Tharman will excel bcos he understands how the machinery works and will be able to navigate his way through.
[+] 1 user Likes luncheonmeat's post

(29-08-2023, 10:05 AM)lylcnn Wrote:  Wah...your fingernails very long and manicured...you are a modern man....

If the hand iz TS dan I must compliment him for his smooth and supple hands. Should be someone in beri good health.  Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes luncheonmeat's post

A true and capable politician need to be cunning and devious always thinking of ways to fix the oppo. Only by removing your oppo can you proceed to do the task you want without obstruction. Lightning strike did it to the barisan many years ago.

Now is 2023 for this PE in this aspect TKL is not really suitable. Tharman will excel in that role since he is trained in that kind of environment inside lightning strike umbrella. NKS will not be far behind since he did not join their umbrella but his many years of work in MAS means he have frequent contact with the top honchos which some are from lightning strike and know how they work.

So having close affiliation to the lightning strike do have some impact on how the President will do for the ppl IMHO. So come 01 Sep 2023 cast your votes wisely.
[+] 1 user Likes sgh's post

For me, I also like Tharman but I think he is way overqualified for the role of President. Being a "former pap man". he will not be one who will bite his former comrades.

I think Tan Kin Lian will make the ruling party sit up and not be complacent anymore.

Does 3 years of dragging Horny Tan's affair seem very proactive to anybody here? Big Grin

(29-08-2023, 02:25 PM)p1acebo Wrote:  For me, I also like Tharman but I think he is way overqualified for the role of President.  Being a "former pap man". he will not be one who will bite his former comrades. 

I think Tan Kin Lian will make the ruling party sit up and not be complacent anymore.

Does 3 years of dragging Horny Tan's affair seem very proactive to anybody here? Big Grin

Coconut Tan affair ony affected his family, not the country. Just tawdry unimportant side happening. At any rate he was no longer a ministar when he was shagging his coconuts, so basically he was just an unimportant hypocrite censuring and passing judgement on the opp.

(29-08-2023, 11:07 AM)K88 shu shu Wrote:  SIA benefitted the most until the company pay its CEO $7M bonus.

this is a clear case of the reserves is not used for the right purposes
he suffered pay cut during covid yrs which salaried persons no pay cut except mpops ministers n mayors?