Thailand plans $52 billion smart city to support industrial hub

PUBLISHED JUL 11, 2022, 6:48 PM SGT

BANGKOK(BLOOMBERG) - Thailand is planning to build a US$37 billion (S$52 billion) smart city in an industrial hub near Bangkok that is already drawn billions of dollars of investment pledges from global automotive, robotics, healthcare and logistics companies.

A master-plan to build the city in Huai Yai subdistrict of Chonburi province, some 160km southeast of Bangkok, was approved by a panel chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Monday (July 11).

The yet-to-be-named city will be spread over 2,340 ha of land and will cost 1.34 trillion baht, or US$37 billion, over the next 10 years

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asi...strial-hub

Thailand experienced a long period of stagnant economy since Thaksin was ousted.

There is a straightforward systematic way to evolve an economy like Thailand. They just need good leadership to get the job done.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

SG under threat.

With 52 billions going into a smart city the operating costs will go up

It will become less competitive 

Other day to day necessities will go up just to cover the higher 'smart' costs of goods and services

Small snowball becomes big snowball 

And then the city becomes a burden

(12-07-2022, 08:39 AM)Alice Alicia Wrote:  SG under threat.

Then, expansion of transport infrastructures, warehouse, logistics, cargoes airport and shipping ports.

The best is to construct the Kra canal the final nail in the coffin.