People above 60 have hard time competing with younger people for gig jobs

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...r-gig-jobs

At 68, my sister finds difficulty in securing daily-rated jobs, such as a food server or dishwasher in hotels and restaurants, particularly through various gig job applications. 

These jobs pay higher hourly rates than those at coffee shops and hawker centres.

Some job apps declare age limits. But even for those without, where she had been able to get jobs in these establishments before, she now finds her success rate has declined over time.

I suspect this may reflect a trend of age-based discrimination in hiring practices.

I understand there are also other people looking for gig jobs, such as students and foreign workers.

However, older workers aged 60 and above often don’t have a fair chance to compete in this pool of ready and willing gig workers solely because of their age.

As senior workers like my sister navigate diminishing job opportunities as they age, I wonder if human resource departments can be encouraged to adopt positive discrimination policies that reserve roles for seniors, fostering inclusivity and combating ageism in the workplace.

Because there are cheaper and faster manpower from boleh land

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

Gig jobs are often freelance jobs. Most people prefer stable office jobs so these are left overs in the economy. Not many opportunities like this around to start with.

This IWT walking method can reduce high blood pressure and prevent strokes. 这种内河步行方法可以降低高血压并预防中风。

(30-04-2024, 07:45 AM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Because there are cheaper and faster manpower from boleh land
age discriminations is wide spreadimits
If govt want elderly to get job into food server or dishwasher
then should limit foreign manpower numbers into these sectors
maybe horticulture as well. 

Prompt using part timers so elderly will not be at disadvantage
afterall most of these jobs only busy at certain hours.

U see those NTUC Wearing black Tees one who just do replenish stocks are all young people..they are freelance and booked through apps...the ntuc supervisor will choose them because they younger n faster..
[+] 1 user Likes Sharexchange's post

Last time I can see many older people working at NTUC FairPrice but nowadays lesser and recently I can see many of them ages between 30 to 50 the most

Slow and forgetful
Ordered one black chicken Keyed in 2
Request to redeem points forgot to key in

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️

This is a fact of life, no point complaining.

My son worked in a hotel/restaurant before during his school holiday. He said those young workers were assigned as food server because those porcelain dishes were too thick and heavy for the elderly workers to carry. Those elderly workers were assigned to serve drinks to the diners and all these workers were being paid the same rate.
After working for one night as a food server for a banquet, he came home complaining the whole body aching.

I have a friend who is in his 50s also told me the same problem. He said would never take this kind of temp job again even though the pay is higher then other jobs like working in the supermarket.

Above 60?! Please be realistic. Market cut off is 40

(30-04-2024, 07:45 AM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Because there are cheaper and faster manpower from boleh land

FOR THOSE WHO ARE +60 yrs OLD ABOVE PLEASE READ THIS.

(This is for your reading pleasure.) 
Really like what is said here & I am going to try my best to follow it. Thank you to those person who wrote this. May God bless us all as we strive to be a blessing to others at this age, especially to our children. 

LW🚩🇸🇬Between 60 to death bed. It's time to use $ one saved up. Use it & enjoy it. Don't keep for who may have no notion sacrifices made to get it. Time here there's nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas waiting for your hard-earned capital.

🚩🇸🇬Warning: There is almost a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for one to enjoy some peace and quiet.

🚩🚩🇸🇬Stop worrying about financial situation of your children & grandchildren, and don't feel bad spending your money on yourself. You've taken care of them for many years, and you've taught them what you could. You gave them an education, food, shelter, & support. The responsibility is now theirs to earn for their own money$.

🚩Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking everyday), eat well, & get your sleep well. It's very easy to become sick & it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why oneself need to keep oneself in good shape & be aware of medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with (if need) to see your doctor, do tests when you're feeling well & Stay be informed.

🚩Always buy the need, if it's the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. Key goal is to enjoy your money$ with oneself partner. One day one of you will miss the other, & tmoney$ will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.

🚩Don't stress over little things. You've already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories, bad & ugly ones too,  The important thing is the present. Don't let the past drag you down & don't let the future frighten you. Feel good is now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.

🚩Regardless of age, always keep love alive. Love your partner, love your family, love your neighbor and remember: "A human is not old as long as has intelligence and affection."

🚩Be proud, both inside / out. Don't stop going doing to hair / barber salon or do your nails, go to dermatologist & dentist, keep your perfumes h creams well stocked. When one are well-maintained on the outside, it seeps in, making one feel proud and strong.

🚩Don’t lose sight of fashion trends for your age, do keep your own sense of style. You’ve developed your own sense of what looks good on you – keep it & be proud. It’s part of who you are.

🚩ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read news or (go into net) htth-www web  watch news online, read what folks are saying, sure you can have active email account, or try to use some of those social networks. You'll be at what old friends you'll meet.

🚩Respect younger generation and their's opinion. They may not have same ideas as you, but they are future & will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, to remind them that yesterday's wisdom still applies today. Never phrase, time pass, time is now, long as alive. U are part of this time.

🚩Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend time with positive, cheerful people, it'll rub off on oneself one day will much better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you feel older & harder to be around.

🚩Do not surrender to temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if one have a financial choice, that is best). Sure, being surrounded by family sounds great, but we all need privacy too. They need theirs and you need yours. Even then, do so only if you feel you really need the help or do not want to live by yourself

🚩Don't abandon hobbies. If don't have any, make new ones. Can travel, hike, dance, cook or read. adopt grow a kitchen garden, play cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, golf.

🚩Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven't seen in a while, and experience something new (or something old). Thing to do in house from time to time, or go walk through a park. Get out there.

🚩Speak in courteous tones, try not to complain or criticize too much unless really need to. Try to accept situations as they are.

🚩Pains & discomfort go hand in hand with  old & not so old. Try not to dwell on them but accept them as a part of life.

🚩If been offended by someone – forgive them. If offended someone-apologize. Don't drag around resentment. It only serves to make some sad & bitter. It doesn't matter who was wrong or right. Someone once said: "Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting other person to die." Don't take that poison. Forgive, forget, and move on.

🚩Laugh. Laugh away your worries, oneself maybe lucky ones. Many maybe never get to this age never get to experience a full life.
My valued friends, enjoy peaceful life at this point in your life ...

Don't worry... be happy. 🥰 Heart
Credit. M Sanchez Jr.
[+] 1 user Likes Tee tiong huat's post

(02-05-2024, 12:04 PM)Tee tiong huat Wrote:  FOR THOSE WHO ARE +60 yrs OLD ABOVE PLEASE READ THIS.

(This is for your reading pleasure.) 
Really like what is said here & I am going to try my best to follow it. Thank you to those person who wrote this. May God bless us all as we strive to be a blessing to others at this age, especially to our children. 

LW🚩🇸🇬Between 60 to death bed. It's time to use $ one saved up. Use it & enjoy it. Don't keep for who may have no notion sacrifices made to get it. Time here there's nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas waiting for your hard-earned capital.

🚩🇸🇬Warning: There is almost a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for one to enjoy some peace and quiet.

🚩🚩🇸🇬Stop worrying about financial situation of your children & grandchildren, and don't feel bad spending your money on yourself. You've taken care of them for many years, and you've taught them what you could. You gave them an education, food, shelter, & support. The responsibility is now theirs to earn for their own money$.

🚩Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking everyday), eat well, & get your sleep well. It's very easy to become sick & it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why oneself need to keep oneself in good shape & be aware of medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with (if need) to see your doctor, do tests when you're feeling well & Stay be informed.

🚩Always buy the need, if it's the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. Key goal is to enjoy your money$ with oneself partner. One day one of you will miss the other, & tmoney$ will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.

🚩Don't stress over little things. You've already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories, bad & ugly ones too,  The important thing is the present. Don't let the past drag you down & don't let the future frighten you. Feel good is now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.

🚩Regardless of age, always keep love alive. Love your partner, love your family, love your neighbor and remember: "A human is not old as long as has intelligence and affection."

🚩Be proud, both inside / out. Don't stop going doing to hair / barber salon or do your nails, go to dermatologist & dentist, keep your perfumes h creams well stocked. When one are well-maintained on the outside, it seeps in, making one feel proud and strong.

🚩Don’t lose sight of fashion trends for your age, do keep your own sense of style. You’ve developed your own sense of what looks good on you – keep it & be proud. It’s part of who you are.

🚩ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read news or (go into net) htth-www web  watch news online, read what folks are saying, sure you can have active email account, or try to use some of those social networks. You'll be at what old friends you'll meet.

🚩Respect younger generation and their's opinion. They may not have same ideas as you, but they are future & will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, to remind them that yesterday's wisdom still applies today. Never phrase, time pass, time is now, long as alive. U are part of this time.

🚩Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend time with positive, cheerful people, it'll rub off on oneself one day will much better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you feel older & harder to be around.

🚩Do not surrender to temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if one have a financial choice, that is best). Sure, being surrounded by family sounds great, but we all need privacy too. They need theirs and you need yours. Even then, do so only if you feel you really need the help or do not want to live by yourself

🚩Don't abandon hobbies. If don't have any, make new ones. Can travel, hike, dance, cook or read. adopt grow a kitchen garden, play cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, golf.

🚩Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven't seen in a while, and experience something new (or something old). Thing to do in house from time to time, or go walk through a park. Get out there.

🚩Speak in courteous tones, try not to complain or criticize too much unless really need to. Try to accept situations as they are.

🚩Pains & discomfort go hand in hand with  old & not so old. Try not to dwell on them but accept them as a part of life.

🚩If been offended by someone – forgive them. If offended someone-apologize. Don't drag around resentment. It only serves to make some sad & bitter. It doesn't matter who was wrong or right. Someone once said: "Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting other person to die." Don't take that poison. Forgive, forget, and move on.

🚩Laugh. Laugh away your worries, oneself maybe lucky ones. Many maybe never get to this age never get to experience a full life.
My valued friends, enjoy peaceful life at this point in your life ...

Don't worry... be happy. 🥰 Heart
Credit. M Sanchez Jr.

So long winded.  To read all is so tedious. I give up before I started Big Grin

Over-paid, Over-educated, Over- Crowded PAP Team

With mediocre results

So they should have 50% salary cut to be Normal Ministers!

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

(30-04-2024, 08:45 AM)red3 Wrote:  Above 60?! Please be realistic. Market cut off is 40

Our current generation of older workers are developing their creativity and sharpening their abilities through retraining and reskilling to give them an edge and measure of longevity at the workplace for PME jobs. The physical demands of gig jobs may be "a bridge too far" for most of our seniors though.

(30-04-2024, 08:35 AM)Cmpunk Wrote:  Last time I can see many older people working at NTUC FairPrice but nowadays lesser and recently I can see many of them ages between 30 to 50 the most

The same may be said about fast food restaurants like McDonalds, Burger King, KFC etc.

(02-05-2024, 03:43 PM)Ola Wrote:  Over-paid, Over-educated, Over- Crowded PAP Team.  With mediocre results. So they should have 50% salary cut to be Normal Ministers!

Our MIW are overrated, overhyped and most certainly overpaid! 

MP JoTeo who revised Re- Employment Act was likely designed it to fit herself nd her colleagues. Even Ng Chee Meng pursuit of silly trainings is another half- past-6 attempt. These PaP Ministers are sure overrated.

(30-04-2024, 07:40 AM)forum456 Wrote:  https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/for...r-gig-jobs

At 68, my sister finds difficulty in securing daily-rated jobs, such as a food server or dishwasher in hotels and restaurants, particularly through various gig job applications. 

These jobs pay higher hourly rates than those at coffee shops and hawker centres.

Some job apps declare age limits. But even for those without, where she had been able to get jobs in these establishments before, she now finds her success rate has declined over time.

I suspect this may reflect a trend of age-based discrimination in hiring practices.

I understand there are also other people looking for gig jobs, such as students and foreign workers.

However, older workers aged 60 and above often don’t have a fair chance to compete in this pool of ready and willing gig workers solely because of their age.

As senior workers like my sister navigate diminishing job opportunities as they age, I wonder if human resource departments can be encouraged to adopt positive discrimination policies that reserve roles for seniors, fostering inclusivity and combating ageism in the workplace.
no need to suspect 
has all the time been there on  age discrimination 
pap did not make it a law on age discrimation is an offence as the western countries do
[+] 1 user Likes talky's post

(02-05-2024, 06:27 PM)talky Wrote:  no need to suspect 
has all the time been there on  age discrimination 
pap did not make it a law on age discrimation is an offence as the western countries do

I said before, MOM's only TOOL is to use AGE Discrimination

to give away middle- age PME jobs to Young pple 

Who still believe in the PAP's Scam?

[Image: CCS-3-5-M-jobs-for-2-5-M-Sp.jpg]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSFE5W5Ea/

(02-05-2024, 06:12 PM)Wy:Nox Wrote:  MP JoTeo who revised Re- Employment Act was likely designed it to fit herself nd her colleagues. Even Ng Chee Meng pursuit of silly trainings is another half- past-6 attempt. These PaP Ministers are sure overrated.

Scholars cannot think out of the box. That is why billions of dollars are lost in ill-advised investments by the SG govt.