CCS: Cost of educating a student at Yale-NUS is more than double of regular student

WTF...so expensive for a soft-skills degree. $300m target enrollment for a yearly intake of 250 students.

NUS kena ripped off by Yale.

Quote:Mr Chan said the cost of educating a student at Yale-NUS is more than double that of a regular NUS humanities or sciences student.

He added that both tuition fees and government funding for the college are more than double.

He added: "But we accepted this because we saw value in having a liberal arts college in our tertiary system."

Mr Chan said the college has "done its utmost in raising funds but through no fault of its own has not reached its target" of $300 million.

The target amount would have given it an endowment of around $1 billion with government matching and investment returns which would have reduced the burden on government subsidies, he said.

He added that transitioning to the New College, the placeholder name for the new entity, will create "economies of scale" and reduce costs to some extent.

The college's financial sustainability has come into the spotlight and leadership from both NUS and Yale-NUS have spoken publicly on the college's failure to reach its funding goals.

Last Saturday, NUS president Tan Eng Chye said in an opinion piece published by The Straits Times that Yale-NUS had only raised $80 million out of its original goal of $300 million in endowment donations.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/p...st-not-the

AMTK mah!  Rotfl

Which PAP Minister's idea to have Liberal Arts College that is not needed ( but wanted), over -expensive and worse, cannot create good paying jobs like Ramesh?

[Image: m-OE-list-of-Ministers-2008-onwards.png]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

We need to train more IT experts, scientists, and engineers.

Instead, govt pumps money into liberal arts to educate people with non-marketable skills, then claim we need to import IT experts, scientists and engineers because we have a shortage.
[+] 2 users Like starbugs's post

From Yale NUS Website-

2020 graduates:
187 students
Employment rate: 90.9%
Median gross starting salary: S$4,038

[Image: Yale-NUS-Tuition-fees-2021.png]

Saw comments that degree in India cost barely S$4,000. We cannot beat them in terms of the number of degree holders and in terms of costs.

Having said this, still makes me pissed off. Why set such low IT Quota of 3,100 from 4 Varsities to give awy our jobs and Future to FTs?

This is planned to make us worse off?

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

Complicated. The link got story. Vaccine?

(13-09-2021, 02:14 PM)starbugs Wrote:  We need to train more IT experts, scientists, and engineers.

Instead, govt pumps money into liberal arts to educate people with non-marketable skills, then claim we need to import IT experts, scientists and engineers because we have a shortage.

I agree with your statements...

(13-09-2021, 08:11 PM)debono Wrote:  I agree with your statements...
I am also on same page with you...... Big Grin

Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge
                    Carl Jung

Aren't G good in conducting feasibility studies before embarking on its value add to d economy.? Isn't NUS beri rich in coffers to fund this program?  Thinking

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

(13-09-2021, 02:14 PM)starbugs Wrote:  We need to train more IT experts, scientists, and engineers.

Do you realize that people with liberal arts degree actually earn more than the tech people? You can train more but if at the time of their graduation they know that they'll be getting a lower salary, they'll soon gravitate to those jobs that pay more.

(13-09-2021, 09:40 PM)Galilo_l Wrote:  Aren't G good in conducting feasibility studies before embarking on its value add to d economy.? Isn't NUS beri rich in coffers to fund this program?  Thinking

I think their OUT- dated SOP is the problem again.  They use the same A- Star Investment Strategy which also failed big time.

PAP is using Yale as beggars to raise fund targets to get endowment fund. The Banker will never lose.

But who suffer?

[Image: CCS-YNC-did-not-meet-Fundraising-Target-Sept-21.png]

(13-09-2021, 09:47 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  Do you realize that people with liberal arts degree actually earn more than the tech people? You can train more but if at the time of their graduation they know that they'll be getting a lower salary, they'll soon gravitate to those jobs that pay more.

Which lead to a fundamental question.. If we say a skill is in demand (eg IT), how come it's pay is lower than one that is not in demand (liberal arts degree).

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

(13-09-2021, 10:58 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Which lead to a fundamental question.. If we say a skill is in demand (eg IT), how come it's pay is lower than one that is not in demand (liberal arts degree).

I think it's the Yale name.

If NUS starts a new liberal arts college on its own, employers won't pay 4k starting.

(13-09-2021, 10:58 PM)ArielCasper Wrote:  Which lead to a fundamental question.. If we say a skill is in demand (eg IT), how come it's pay is lower than one that is not in demand (liberal arts degree).

It's unfortunate but that's life. Rocket scientists are paid less than influencers. Maybe earn even less than some property agents and bank salesmen who don't really know their products. There are many who simply give up and say, why take a hard path when I can have an easier life.

I'm one of those who had been in the technical field for many years. One day I just gave up. It's too much to bear. And the irony is, I'm now in a field that doesn't require me to think as hard or do as much, but earn more than previously. It's a shame. I could have contributed more in the technical field.

we need plumber,electrician, food operator 
manufacture and all essential stuff. all these degree no use, we too focus on paper, where we not needed or too abundant.