Reduce use of new notes during Chinese New Year to 'support the environment'

Gabrielle Andres
28 Dec 2021 02:09PM
(Updated: 28 Dec 2021 02:58PM)

SINGAPORE: The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) on Tuesday (Dec 28) urged members of the public to reduce the use of new notes in hongbao for the coming Chinese New Year to “support the environment and reduce queues at bank branches”.

it issues about 100 million new notes annually for Chinese New Year and other festive periods.

A “large proportion” of these notes, particularly the S$2 bills, are returned after Chinese New Year and subsequently destroyed as it “far exceeds normal circulation demand”.

“The carbon emissions from the production, transportation, and destruction of such new notes each year is highly wasteful, unnecessary, and impacts the environment negatively,” it said.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...as-2404036

don't have to urge.

just don't issue new notes, no one will Q for old notes. they will go ATM and draw instead.

This I can accept.. At the end of the day, it is the spirit of going house visit and give ang poh, whether you use old notes or new notes, doesn't diminish the value of the ang poh..

1. I have served the nation in a combat unit for 2.5 + 10 years. I had fulfilled my duty as a citizen, but has the country do it's part for me?
2. I don't know where the threat of CCP is, but I know the threat of CECA is already at my doorsteps
3. I had been called a CCP, JHK, Pinoy, but they never called me a CECA..

It is a nice way to send any bao, but how about greeting , also virtual is best from COVID ? Hmm,,, sleeping on the bed for New Year 2022.. Lols

Once a year give blessing better cut carbon emissions in other sectors.