US could stop export of important EDA to China

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/artic...tech-if-us

https://technode.com/2022/08/15/the-us-b...-software/

The US barrs China from accessing advanced chipmaking EDA software

The US Bureau of Industry and Security announced a new ban on exporting semiconductor tech to China on August 12, including specific electronics design automation (EDA) software for making 3nm and more advanced chips. The banned EDA software for gate-all-around field effect transistor (GAAFET) is the next-generation semiconductor tech that can help chips achieve a higher frequency and lower power consumption. Samsung has adopted the tech, while Intel and TSMC plan to use it. The tech is also key to the production of 2nm chips, according to Caixin. 

An analyst told Caixin that the ban has limited effects on China in the short term but will restrain China’s development in advanced chipmaking. Foreign firms took 77% of the EDA market in China in 2020, according to China’s CCID Consulting. However, local EDA providers like Primarius Technologies claimed they had “formed core key tools that can support advanced process nodes such as 7nm, 5nm, and 3nm,” according to the firm’s website.

China lan lan has to do the hardwork of self produce the s/w. Once they achieve self sufficiency, my guess they will again flood the market with chips like potato chips... and let America dies in the flood. Big Grin

Smile

But EDA software takes a long time to develop. Unfortunately, the West has dominated in this area. I'm not sure if China will catch up with them as the gap is too huge at the moment.

(16-08-2022, 09:17 PM)Blasterlord2 Wrote:  But EDA software takes a long time to develop. Unfortunately, the West has dominated in this area. I'm not sure if China will catch up with them as the gap is too huge at the moment.

Use the existing copies. I doubt the subsequent versions could be revolutionary. Just some add-on.

Smile

But i think China should work with Russia and other resource countries providing to semicon industries to make it difficult for the industry to get the required material/minerals. There must be ways to squeeze America, Japan, SK on the materials.

Smile