What’s in your toothpaste? 5 things to know for your teeth’s sake

Anne-Marie Lim
12 Dec 2021 06:15AM
(Updated: 12 Dec 2021 06:00AM

1. WHAT TOOTHPASTE SHOULD I BUY?

Look for one that contains at least 1,000 parts per million of fluoride

“If there’s any initial decay, it actually helps to re-mineralise (and) strengthen the tooth surface.”

2. WHAT IF I HAVE SENSITIVE TEETH, OR TEETH I WANT TO WHITEN?

To relieve tooth sensitivity, it is good to get toothpaste with potassium nitrate because of our teeth’s dentinal tubules: Small, hollow channels that travel from the inside of each tooth through its middle layer, the dentine.

Teeth get more sensitive when the enamel surface wears away and dentinal tubules are exposed. Potassium nitrate helps to cover the tubules up, thereby reducing sensitivity

If you are looking at whitening toothpaste, pick one that contains either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide

“If you have extensive wear, even if you use toothpaste for sensitive teeth, it might not even help. So you might (be looking at) either fillings or maybe crowns later on.”

Whitening treatment administered by dental professionals deliver more predictable results and a faster whitening process.

3. SHOULD I BRUSH BEFORE OR AFTER BREAKFAST?

It does not really matter, according to Peh. If you brush after breakfast, however, and had consumed acidic food or drinks such as coffee, it would be helpful to wait half an hour before brushing.

Alternatively, rinse your mouth out before brushing. This is because the acids weaken the surface of the teeth; brushing may then wear away the surface

For the rest, please go to: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/cna-insi...ns-2371206