Cambridge researchers :Omicron spike protein less efficient in causing severe disease

More good news.
My view is Omicron is a potential solution tht will end covid crisis.

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Good info. Hope this guy's research holds water.

Separately, someone posted UK study indicating that a past omicron infection is only approx 20% effective in preventing a delta infection. That about obliterates any hope that omicron can be the saviour to rid of covid?

Follows a similar one conducted by the University of Hong Kong, which showed that two doses of Sinovac, the Covid-19 vaccine most used in the world, could not prevent infection from the Omicron variant. It also offered a rare glimpse into the effectiveness of vaccines widely used in low-income countries but less studied than mRNA vaccines.

W5aeSinovac said in a statement three doses would produce antibodies that could prevent infection from the new variant.

(18-12-2021, 04:12 PM)Teeth53 Wrote:  Follows a similar one conducted by the University of Hong Kong, which showed that two doses of Sinovac, the Covid-19 vaccine most used in the world, could not prevent infection from the Omicron variant. It also offered a rare glimpse into the effectiveness of vaccines widely used in low-income countries but less studied than mRNA vaccines.

W5aeSinovac said in a statement three doses would produce antibodies that could prevent infection from the new variant.
Last week Zhang Yuntao, chief scientist with China National Biotec Group, a subsidiary of Sinopharm which developed the Covid-19 vaccines, said the company had started designing Omicron-specific vaccines in three different technology platforms, although Zhang did not elaborate.

Gamaleya Centre, which developed Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine, said in a statement on Monday that the serum samples used in the study were “not representative” and the centre would publish its own “positive data” in a week. 

Johnson & Johnson said last month it was testing blood serum from participants in completed and continuing booster studies to look for neutralising activity against the Omicron variant, and pursuing an Omicron-specific variant vaccine.

Lets hope there won't be a new improved version

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin

(18-12-2021, 04:00 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  More good news.
My view is Omicron is a potential solution tht will end covid crisis.

There is report that antibodies from past natural infection of alpha, Beta. Delta variant 
could not prevent infection from the Omicron variant.
So one can assume similarly Omicron infected , cannot avoid  alpha, Beta. Delta variants
The shape different too much, nevertheless it may give some protections to severe condition. 

But our govt focus on antibodies only.

(18-12-2021, 04:32 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Lets hope there won't be a new improved version

There are so many variants of the Covid-19......hope and pray that Omicron is the last one...... Rolleyes Big Grin