there is only 1 reason to buy local newspapers

DONT WASTE MONEY UNLESS to read obituaries to know who passed away be they yr old neighbours ex colleagues the persons u missed u lost contact yr hated n loved persons

all other inf can get fr social media
[+] 1 user Likes talky's post

for dog poo Big Grin

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like p1acebo's post

I think there exist digital obituary https://obits.sg/

It is highly likely a subsidiary (or at least got shares) under SPH aka govt. Why I know is I used to work for a prop tech firm which is also majority owned by SPH but now it is makan by competitor as SPH pull out. A former colleague there join orbits and it is housed in SPH so go there makan lunch see him.

So readers a lot of so called private companies has some "govt" back support just like HWZ if you very free go and dig. Or maybe my working life cannot escape "govt" throughout my working career haha.

Use it to wrap rubbish. No need to buy plastic bags to wrap. Save environment.

tomorrow will be a better day

(03-01-2024, 11:07 AM)talky Wrote:  DONT WASTE MONEY UNLESS to read obituaries to know who passed away be they yr old neighbours ex colleagues the persons u missed u lost contact yr hated n loved persons

all other inf can get fr social media

Now free paper, who still buy newspaper?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Go and register an account.

https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/main/sphnewspapers

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(03-01-2024, 11:59 AM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Now free paper, who still buy newspaper?

My elderly parents still subscribe to ST, and often ask me to bring home their old newspapers to line my waste baskets, wrap veggies and fish or to pick up my dog's poo. 

(03-01-2024, 12:03 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  My elderly parents still subscribe to ST, and often ask me to bring home their old newspapers to line my waste baskets, wrap veggies and fish or to pick up my dog's poo. 

Can cancel the subscription. I have attached the link above. You can use PC, tablet or IPad to read news.

(03-01-2024, 12:04 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Can cancel the subscription. I have attached the link above. You can use PC, tablet or IPad to read news.

I tried telling them on several occasions, but seniors still prefer hard copy news like they feel secure in having a POSB savings passbook which they can update every now and then to inform them that their money is still there in the bank. 

(03-01-2024, 12:15 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I tried telling them on several occasions, but seniors still prefer hard copy news like they feel secure in having a POSB savings passbook which they can update every now and then to inform them that their money is still there in the bank. 

Bring them to the library to read the newspaper using computer. Very soon they will get use to it.

There's another use of newspapers that not many ppl know of, that's for rooting of some plant cuttings which is difficult with other methds, and plants dug out from ground and with no or little roots like banana shoots. Wrap them in wet newspapers and keep in plastic bag for a month or so, new roots will appear

Waste papers n money now not cheap to subscribe monthly.

No weapons that forms against me shall prosper
No tongue that rises against me I shall condemn 
☝️