What’s With Singapore’s Surge in Self-Proclaimed Life Coaches?

What’s With Singapore’s Surge in Self-Proclaimed Life Coaches? 

https://www.ricemedia.co/when-everyones-a-life-coach/

They are like cockroaches.
[+] 1 user Likes Alice Alicia's post

Most of these self-proclaimed life coaches are older retrenched PMEs who do not wish to become insurance/property agents, MLM salespeople, private tutors, PHV or taxi drivers.
[+] 1 user Likes EvertonDiehard's post

(11-06-2024, 11:03 AM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Most of these self-proclaimed life coaches are older retrenched PMEs who do not wish to become insurance/property agents, MLM salespeople, private tutors, PHV or taxi drivers.

Yupe, life coach sounds more respectable compared to insurance and property agents. 
Many in their 50s lost their job finds it bery hard to get the similar to their previous position and too proud to take a lower position.

KTV妹妹说,香港人无义,台湾人无情,新加坂人无智 Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Tangsen's post

(11-06-2024, 11:56 AM)Tangsen Wrote:  Yupe, life coach sounds more respectable compared to insurance and property agents. 
Many in their 50s lost their job finds it bery hard to get the similar to their previous position and too proud to take a lower position.

According to my former classmates and ex-colleagues who were retrenched in their late 40s or 50s, they were willing to take jobs of a lower grade and significantly lesser pay, but employers felt they were too old or overqualified. Some interviewers were also fearful that these laid off applicants could end up displacing them, owing to their experience and qualifications.

(11-06-2024, 12:01 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  According to my former classmates and ex-colleagues who were retrenched in their late 40s or 50s, they were willing to take jobs of a lower grade and significantly lesser pay, but employers felt they were too old or overqualified. Some interviewers were also fearful that these laid off applicants could end up displacing them, owing to their experience and qualifications.

Mouth says willing lah but when asked to put ink on the paper many unwilling.

Money no enuff

(11-06-2024, 12:33 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Mouth says willing lah but when asked to put ink on the paper many unwilling.

I can only speak for those affected friends and former colleagues who were willing to share their experiences with me. I do not believe that any degree holder would willingly become a PHV or taxi driver following retrenchment, if he had a choice of taking up another PME job, even at a lower pay.

(11-06-2024, 02:01 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I can only speak for those affected friends and former colleagues who were willing to share their experiences with me. I do not believe that any degree holder would willingly become a PHV or taxi driver following retrenchment, if he had a choice of taking up another PME job, even at a lower pay.

You mentioned they were willing to take jobs of a lower grade and significantly lesser pay, but employers felt they were too old or overqualified. How did they know the employers felt they were too old or overqualified? 

These are leaders

(11-06-2024, 02:31 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  You mentioned they were willing to take jobs of a lower grade and significantly lesser pay, but employers felt they were too old or overqualified. How did they know the employers felt they were too old or overqualified? 

Like I said, I am only able to report what was related to me by these friends and ex-colleagues. Several of the interviewers mentioned about these applicants possessing more experience and qualifications than what they were looking for.  As for age, no employer would ever openly say that any applicant is too old as they don't want to be labelled as ageist. The applicants who are above 45 years old, felt that way about the interviewers.   

(11-06-2024, 03:28 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  Like I said, I am only able to report what was related to me by these friends and ex-colleagues. Several of the interviewers mentioned about these applicants possessing more experience and qualifications than what they were looking for.  As for age, no employer would ever openly say that any applicant is too old as they don't want to be labelled as ageist. The applicants who are above 45 years old, felt that way about the interviewers.   

If the HR or hiring mgr viewed their CV with their  experience, qualifications & age ... I am sure they will not be shortlisted for an interview. Why waste time and energy to conduct an interview with a person that they have no intention to hire.

I think your friends and ex colleagues wanna save face that they got rejected because they did not perform during an interview. 

(11-06-2024, 12:01 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  According to my former classmates and ex-colleagues who were retrenched in their late 40s or 50s, they were willing to take jobs of a lower grade and significantly lesser pay, but employers felt they were too old or overqualified. Some interviewers were also fearful that these laid off applicants could end up displacing them, owing to their experience and qualifications.

Unless you hv some special skill sets else no one is indispensable, and the younger ones are always cheaper

(11-06-2024, 03:45 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  If the HR or hiring mgr viewed their CV with their  experience, qualifications & age ... I am sure they will not be shortlisted for an interview. Why waste time and energy to conduct an interview with a person that they have no intention to hire.I think your friends and ex colleagues wanna save face that they got rejected because they did not perform during an interview. 

I won't rule out the fact that the interviewers felt the applicants' CV looked impressive enough to warrant an interview, but then decided against them because of their appearance i.e. grey hair, bald, frail looking etc. 

(11-06-2024, 03:59 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  I won't rule out the fact that the interviewers felt the applicants' CV looked impressive enough to warrant an interview, but then decided against them because of their appearance i.e. grey hair, bald, frail looking etc. 

Meaning your friends and ex colleague photoshop their CV's picture  Laughing
So cannot blame the company failing their interview

(11-06-2024, 04:01 PM)Tangsen Wrote:  Meaning your friends and ex colleague photoshop their CV's picture  So cannot blame the company failing their interview

You should be wiser than to make unfounded assumptions. Many interviewers want a face-to-face meeting to better ascertain the suitability of a candidate. Unfortunately, that is when the personal bias and ageism takes place.

There is big money to be made. Not as a life coach, but certifying people to be life coaches. That's why so many life coaches around. Certifying one such dumbass can yield more than $10k.

(11-06-2024, 04:05 PM)EvertonDiehard Wrote:  You should be wiser than to make unfounded assumptions. Many interviewers want a face-to-face meeting to better ascertain the suitability of a candidate. Unfortunately, that is when the personal bias and ageism takes place.

I am not assuming, just raise the possibility to consider …. no need to be so defensive lah …. unless you make up story,