Sustainability - Why Asia must reject the Western economic model

Please note that Whitehead is the reporter and not the person narrating in the article. Chandran Nair is. He is the founder of Hong Kong think tank the Global Institute For Tomorrow. He also opened the first environmental consulting firms in a number of Asian countries. This article is some "excerpts" from his book, "Dismantling Global White Privilege", to be published this month.

Kate Whitehead
Published: 1:45pm, 15 Jan, 2022

Six billion Asians living like Americans and Europeans is impossible – there is not enough to go around. Yet we are being told there is one economic model – the Western model of capital markets and consumption.

The Amazon model is the best example of a broken system – it is essentially saying you can have anything you want, and we will make it so cheap that people can essentially order three things, use one and throw the other two, and it’s cheaper than last year. We call that innovation, it’s actually destruction.

The entire economic model that the world has embraced is one that does not internalise the true cost of consumption and that has ramifications in terms of inequality and disenfranchisement. Carbon dioxide is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of that overconsumption model. I can say this because I’m not the guy from McKinsey. We are independent – I don’t take money from anyone.

We talk about the substantiality issues of consumption, pricing and government systems. When I talk to pharmaceutical companies, I talk to them about how they have to adjust their world view. You can’t sit in Europe and understand Asia without changing your entire structure. You cannot say you believe in diversity and inclusion, which is essentially tokenism, when your entire structure is led by a bunch of Westerners who have no connection to this part of the world.

Read the very much longer article here: https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-maga...nd-amazons

Western economic model is for enriching the capitalists, especially the super rich capitalists!

There is Chinese professor saying if we were to industrialized like American standard, we will need 4 planet earth to have the resources. China, 1 earth and India standard, 0.7 earth.

Smile

(17-01-2022, 12:12 PM)cityhantam Wrote:  Western economic model is for enriching the capitalists, especially the super rich capitalists!

Very soon, you work until die also cannot retire happily. Rotfl

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

(17-01-2022, 12:22 PM)RiseofAsia Wrote:  Very soon, you work until die also cannot retire happily. Rotfl

If you don't have a retirement plan, and only depending on CPF monthly payments, chances are that you need to work until your mid-seventies......