What causes ageism at the work place?

Govt keep stressing that people work to above 60yo.
But 70% of PMET employees retrenched are those above 40yo.

There is all the govt talk and then there is reality on the ground. And the truth which has different version goes like this..

1. When one joins a company esp those who never change job, every year the get annual increment, sometimes promotion ...

2. If you stay long enough you get promoted to far as you can go and has a long stretch to stay at that "final position".

3. Yr after Yr you get annual increment until you cross 50yo...now you are really old. Regardless of "longevity" the 50yo now is same as 50yo in 1970s when people retire at 52-55yo. Why people used to retire in 50s is the decline in productivity and mental capacity. Do you see any 50yo runner in Olympic 100m final.

4. The employer look at this 50yo guy and another 35yo guy. The 50yo guy accumulated 15yrs of annual increment and is in decline ....the 35yo is cheaper and probably can do the job.

5 it is economically logical to move the 50yr out and make way for the 35yo to maximise profits.

6. That is why 70% of PMETs retrenched are above 40. Employers will make use of retrenchment exercise to improve their workplace demographics. Or simply kick the older guy out.

7. There has been many studies done and the only way to secure the job of older workers is to have a very tight labor market. If the employer gets rid of older workers he will not be able to replace him or have to pay much higher to employ a new staff. Only then he will keep older staff on his payroll.

8. We have been listen to our leaders say they was to solve ageism problem year after year. 15yrs later the problem is not solved and got worse. Then they try to do a PR type solution to say older workers are valuable so it is foolish to retrench them. This campaign is not rooted in reality but wishful thinking...it never works. They re living in ivory towers.

9. Our elderly simply end up doing jobs young people don't want ...that is why so many end up as cleaners and cardboard collectors.

10. Often we wonder why this govt keep failing in many areas ....often they don't look at facts and reality.

[Image: S2GkWQ2.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
[+] 1 user Likes sgbuffett's post

Even Govt WSG knows for many years but can never clean- up their mistakes. JoTeo and her 8 Sister Agencies with one called TAFEP has been around for 12 years but nothing done to tackle this.

That is why Jac Lau did not hold any perm job since 2004 because he is old and not handsome. He only has a temp job paying $6/ hr ( without CPF).

This evolve over the past 10 or 20 years. And it will take 50 years for PAP to manage this own mistake and 100 years to remove the fault lines.

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 

[Image: 5o0p9Gr.jpg]

I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Why is ageism so acute in Singapore.

Quote:Sadly, age discrimination is rife all over the world and particularly in Singapore. The Singapore Government allows foreigners into the country rather freely suppressing wages and intensifying competition. I am all for competition, but there must be a limit to things for long term stability and sustainability. The current state of play in Singapore is that employers hire mostly the cheap, young and willing, because they get away with age discrimination, then fire them once they hit 40 years old. This is not sustainable because no one, even the arguably hungrier foreigners will remain cheap, young and willing long term. They too will grow old, start families and spend time raising families (therefore turning 'less willing').

I believe this is a common story in most developed countries. 

If you are an employer or hiring manager, do give the older workers a chance. Judge them based on their merits and not your preconception. It is not only one person you are affecting, but entire families that rely on your decision. Older workers are usually more loyal and patient, and most of all more experienced. You can't accelerate experience. It takes 20 years to have 20 years of experience.

http://michael-chua.blogspot.com/2017/05...s.html?m=1

When I attended WSG course 3 years and last month, 70% look like above 50 and 60 years old. Another 10% look like 40s.

10 YEARS ago, PAP did not solve the problem. Now, the problem still exist. WHY?

Because they allowed it. They only wayang and talk about tackling it.

Never trust them. NEVER.

[Image: JT-Discriinatn-is-allowed.png]

Why do we need 5 Mayors and 80 PAP Ministers? 
[+] 1 user Likes Ola's post

Yes, I agree.

Govt supports ageism that is why companies are using age as the best tool to discriminate. Nothing to do with skills.

PAP must stop supoorting Ageism as this is Immoral.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

(17-09-2021, 05:42 PM)5354 Wrote:  Thanks to PAP's CPF, uncle Jac is living a life of luxury today without the need to work to earn money

Song boh?

I am again confused by you. Care to explain how CPF can solve ageism issues?

If your claims are true, then ageism will not even exist in Singapore.

Win the World but lost your Soul. 

There r not enuf ppl to collect cardboards to exercise? Sibeh cham

There is no right or wrong decisions. 
One only has to bear the consequences that one makes  Big Grin

(17-09-2021, 05:18 PM)sgbuffett Wrote:  Why is ageism so acute in Singapore.

Will pay a surgeon (45 years old) or a surgeon (30 years old) to operate on your brain cancer ?

Will pay a chef (45 years old) or a chef (30 years old) to cook a $1000 meal ?

Will pay a lawyer (45 years old) or a lawyer (30 years old) to fight your death penalty ?

One had to look at current security guards demographic. Most of them Lau Kok Kok. And some of them young (yellow ribbon Ex-convict) or low educated.